Thread: shrimp all died

Feedback Score

shrimp all died

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone can advice, please.

I have been trying since April till now, but everytime I bought new batch of shrimp be it Yamato/ghost/malaysian shrimp...all cannot survive more than one week.

Initially, I was thinking it may be the temperature....but the temp is ok leh ard 29-31'C.

Now...I am suspecting maybe some fish I am having is chasing them. maybe the holland ram I suspect.

Below is the fishload I have:-

Cardinal Tetra 25
    Tetra - Neon 2
    Tetra - Black Neon 4
    Redeye 1
    Rummy nose 6
    Yamato prawns 0
    Malaysian Shrimps 2
    SAE 1
    OTO 3
    Corydoras 4
    Guppies 6
    Holland Ram 1

any comments?

How to you guys manage to keep the shrimp alive and healthy?

Thanks.

[] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ph? kh? no2?

new tank, old tank? filtration?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suspect the Holland Ram but I don't know what fish is red eye.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm unable to comment on your bioload since you have neither given me the tank size (# ft) nor volume (3 litres).

Doubt your ram can harass your ghost shrimps to paradise.

Temperature can be better - most of us keep our tanks at 27-28C

Shrimps need to be acclimitized slowly (over 1hr or so) to ensure high survival rate.

Check your NH4, NO2 and NO3 level. Certain shrimps are less tolerant to poor water conditions.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    shouldn't be your ram.
    i keep cherry, yamatos with 4 rams (and the usual tetras etc) with no problems.
    should be your temp. try to keep it ard 26-28
    had shrimp problems initially but after bringing down the temp, no casualties (breeding too)
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i had the same problem too.. when my temp was hovering above 28 degrees.. try drop your temp.
    but before that.. i think its wise to make sure the nitrates is in safe level.

Feedback Score
    Hi guys,

Thanks for advice.

How do you guys keep the temp down? Cooler fans ontop of the tank?

Mine is a 2ft tank.

KH 3
    Ph 6.5
    CO2 ~ 20ppm
    No3 - did not test.

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah fans work fine for me. If i use one, the temp hover around 27-28 but use 2 can bring down to about 25-26 (seldom 25). But careful when using fan coz water evaporate like crazy. 3 days and about 10+ litres gone

robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Hi robin,

thanks.

btw, where do you get the fans from?

Where is the cheapest I can get?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cheapest is DIY if not can get those with the clip and uses AC that you can plug direct and clip to tank. I got my for about 30+ (can't remember) from 88 aquarium at henderson (see LFS list)

Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks like your tank is severely overstocked.
    kinda like rojak.
    no offense.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, cardinal tetra is right on about the number of inhibitants in your tank. The amount of ammonia contributed might be too much for your nitrifying bacteria and plants to cope with hence a possible spike in NH3/NH4 or NO2. Shrimps are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, acceptable bioload varies from tank to tank. My 2ft tank has 30+ fishes at the moment (18x pencilfishes, 6x rams, 3x guppies and 6x otos) and my shrimps (yamatoes and malayans) are fine.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, I must agree on that but too much can cause you much grief in terms of algae problems. With a large bioload, you are straining your nitrifying bacteria to work harder both in the filter media and tank which lead to an increase in O2 demand. If you have lots of plants and good growth, then the amount of O2 might be enough to supply the bacteria and inhibitants...imagine your plants not growing well? Stunted by lack of a particular nutrient perharps? Your nitrifying bacteria would not be able to keep up with all those ammonia...ammonia spike! Green water? Dead critters?..Even if you don't think this would happen in your case, think of the fishes...imagine your whole family being crammed into a small room..how do you feel? They are living things..treat them well..
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suscept the holland ram too bcoz they are cichlids afterall! I had a dwarf cichlid which ate up most of my shrimps after it grows large enough to mouth them. Had to take it out! =(

Hmm... try Clementi 328 or that fish shop in Tampines. IMO, I think they sell things much cheaper than elsewhere. Fyi, the fans are only effective in bringing the temperature down to room temperature, which hovers around 28 most of the time except rainy seasons, where it can go to as low as 26-27. Only a chiller can bring the temperature below room temperature. I think there's a thread on different kinds of fans and their advantages somewhere in this forum. You may wish to check it out!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/8/2003 11:06:56 AM

How to you guys manage to keep the shrimp alive and healthy?
    ----------------
    There're too many variables to guess about your shrimp death from your datas provided. It could range widely from foreign substance poisoning, to others like unbalanced ecological tank.

However, not mentioning those, my way of preventing unnecessary death is to grow plants well, so that livestocks automatically become healthy too.

With this principle in mind, I observed malayan shrimps shows better longevity when my tank recovers from certain imbalance.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Thanks for your all advice.

I do agree that the bioload is on the high side. Actually the plants is growing well and oh yes.....i have to clear the tank glass every week due to green algae. Maybe too strong light (72w for a 2ft tank and on for 7hrs a day) can raise the temp and caused the shrimp to go heaven. But so far no casualties on fish but only on shrimp. that why I am puzzled.

I will try to buy a cooler fan and try again.

[]

Feedback Score
    just wondering. do your shrimps tend to die overnight, when plants don't provide O2? with a high bioload, there is bound to be a surge on the demand for the O2. i had similar problems before, until i turn on an air pump in the night and the shrimps have been happy since.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One shouldn't need to switch on an airpump at night if the bioload is not excessively high ... and personally, I don't regard my 30+ small-sized fishes in a 2ft tank as excessively high. The biggest critter (by body length) in my tank now is a yamato so there you go.

Of course, it would be a different matter if the tank is not heavily planted and insufficient O2 is created during lights-on hours.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    strangely the shrimp....die not overnight but one at a time a day.

turn reddish and die.

I dun think is insufficient as CO2 of 20ppm is ideal. and my plants load is reasonably high.

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast