Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Green water

Feedback Score

Green water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone know how to get rid of green water. Someone advice me to change 100% of water, clean filter & add carbon in the filter. The carbon cost $20. After water change, add PSB live probiotic, off the lights & don't feed the fish for 4 days. I,m very worry about my plants & fishes. So far is the 2nd day. 9 SAE & 2 oto died.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ammonia is the main cause of green water and it is toxic to fishes and shrimps. Do a 50% water change and hook up a UV if you have it or do a 3-4 day blackout...(Do note that you need to stop injecting CO2 during that period and aerate the tank...make sure no lights get in or else it is useless..).

After getting rid of the green water, try to get more plants into your tank and ensure that your CO2 is in good range (20-30ppm during light period)...dose fertilizer regularly to ensure no deficiency and large water changes to prevent buildup if uptake is not optimal.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Assuming that yours is a mature tank with green water problem, you are more likely to kill all your fishes by changing 100% of the water since (1) most, if not all, of your beneficial bacteria will die due to sudden change in water conditions and (2) your plants are probably not doing well enough to buffer the ammonia + nitrite spikes.

How is carbon suppose to help you get rid of green water? Heard of UV, diatom filters and even daphnia but carbon?

I haven't got a clue what's PSB live probiotic but if it happens to be some product that's supposed to 'seed' your tank with the necessary beneficial bacteria then you may want to give it a miss.

If your fishes are dying on on 2nd day? Chances are that you already have an ammonia and/or nitrite problem that's killing your fishes.

When did you setup this tank?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Will my plants die? If add PSB live probiotic 4 days will kill my fish?

Feedback Score
    Set up on 6 jun 2003. I bought a ammonia tester which is paste in the tank with suck cup to show it is normal. Tried UV before still, got green water.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you think bacteria lives in a sealed bottle? Just get some establised filter media from friends who rears fish and add it to your filter..should help speed things up. Grow the plants well and they take care of your fishes. I believe your CO2 is low? Get it up and working and add more plants..the more the merrier. Once the CO2 is in good order, adding fertilizer regularly would help your plants recover their health..give them about 3-4 weeks to recover though...do not stunt them anymore by limiting nutrient even if you see a mark increase in algae growth..(algae needs the same nutrient as plants but require only micro amount of it..plants need more..)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger