Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Selection of Protein Skimmer and return pump for 500 gal stocked aquarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Selection of Protein Skimmer and return pump for 500 gal stocked aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How does one select a protein skimmer?
    I have checked online and know the types of skimmer available are Air injection,Venturi and Turbo-Venturi. I would prefer in-sump skimmer as space and height is not an issue.Also i visited a fancy restaurant in my city that has an large FW aquarium its is around 300-350 gallons It stocked heavily with fishes and plants and the tank uses a protein skimmer underneath it but no CO@ cylinder.I thought it could not be used for FW and it really works

Can some one please help me select a skimmer based on the gph for my 500 gallon tank?

Also i would need a pump for the same size skimmer to return the water back in to the aquarium?
    the height need to pump water up will be around 8ft-10ft height

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Selection of Protein Skimmer and return pump for 500 gal stocked aquarium

Wow.... titanic tank! Will be watching closely...
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

thanks billy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Where are you from Dsouzainc?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

sorry for the delay in replying Mohamad was on a holiday.I am based in india.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would look into Bubble King protein skimmer if I have that tank size. The Super Marin series, SM300 should be ideal for you. I do not know what to recommend for a pump that need to go that high as I've never used 1 for that application.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Mohamad checked withe the suppliers that we have ind india they dont have that type of specification skimmer .I found these website that provide skimmer can your check if any of these sites would have skimmer that i would need then
    www.aquariumsindia.com/
    www.shopatsimba.com/
    www.makemyhobby.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm sorry but I can't recommend the skimmer I saw on the link you posted. Do your lfs stock up on Reef octopus skimmer? Your 500g tank should be paired up with the XP 5000 model. You need to measure the height of your tank cabinet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

The tank space below is only 2ft.As for the reef skimmer none of the local supplier have any SW accessories i order them online only or one last hope that i travel to mumbai and check with the main distributors for the state,whether they have any large skimmers or can they can order one specially for me....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Super Reef Octopus XP 5000 does come in external model but you need to add additional plumbing for the feed pump and return to the sump. 2ft sump height is quite low, both Bubble King SM300 or the Super Reef Octopus XP 5000 will not fit in your sump area. I guess the Bubble King SM 300 is not for you. Do you have any space to place the SRO XP 5000 around the sump or nearby? You can't place it in sump. How wide and tall are your sump?

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Current sump is 3ftx1ftx2ft i am ready to move the sump out from below the tank and to fit any size skimmer or even get a new one prepared but i should find skimmer here.I manged to find direct contact details of skimmer manufacturer in India but not sure if any one would recommend their products they are BOYU and AZOO.
    I am losing hope of find a complete skimmer set in India will end up in a DIY project
    Any recommendation of what size output needle wheel pump i should get? please give me details not company name and model because some company may not have products available here......Mohamad i am counting on your recommendation

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DIY is out of my league Dsouzainc. Been purchasing plug and play equipment all the time. For your case, you need to order your skimmer from abroad.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Guess i will have to do that only ...Thanks Mohamad...