Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Riccia Setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I tried before, attach them on stone n flat plat, they are growing but too bad with the attack of algea. The riccia look yellow in colour. Compare to LFS demo tank, their riccia is greenish and have O2 bubbles on it.

Now, I plan to setup a 2 footer tank with only riccia. Wonder what kind of fertilizer should i use?

And the temp. of the tank, CO2, and etc. And the important stuff to be remember.

Hope every expert here can help out on this. Thanks.

Riccia needs sufficient CO2 and lighting to grow well and bubble. To prevent algae, try to reduce fertilization or stop for a while. Give moderate feedings to fishes and also do more frequent water changes. Introduce SAEs, OTOS and Yamatoes to combat the algae. Over time, the algae should be in control. That's what I went thru for my 2 footer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    in addition, yellow riccia is a sign of potassium deficiency
    add flourish potassium, should do the trick

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually Riccia is a good algae preventor. It sucks the nutrients from the water column as it does not have roots. Riccia most of the time out-competes the algae.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Mmm... sound complicated [:] [:]

Anyway, i have reduce the light to about 10 hours per day, hope will get the result soon.

BTW, i also plan to setup a Java Fern tank, any advice? I found them are slow in growing, are they need a lot of Fert. and Co2 to live?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On getting slowgrowing plants like Java fern, Bolbitis and Anubias established, one nursery in Thomson (not LFS) suggested (based on their own setups) that high lighting/CO2 should be maintained initially until the plant roots have taken a grip on the wood/substrate. To beat algae, algae eaters will be required or use some fast growing species like Hygrophila for a while. Once established, the lighting/CO2 can be reduced. I think for a Java fern tank, no more than 1.5 W/Gallon is enuf.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow interesting... but i'm not into java fern... doesn't appeal to me... i just set up riccia tank... but small cube one... abt 20x20x20 around that size lah... didn't really measure... i tied riccia down to pebbles and covered the whole tank with the pebbles... had a real hard time tying the riccia down as the pebbles had curved edges... so then i used 11w pl light... diy co2... and my 2ft tank water... they started bubbling in abt 1/2 an hour!!! but then i got lazy and didn't change water and then algae started to grow and riccia turned yellow and sigh... i dunnoe what to do with it...