2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Carbon poison

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What is carbon poison? How much CO2 is too much? How to measure CO2 content in my 1.5 foot planted tank? My KH is 6, PH 6, temp ~28 deg. The plants are glowing well and looks even greener when I brought them. However majority of the new fishes that I brought tends to dies in the next 24hrs. I introduce 11 guppies and only 4 is left. Any advise from you guys. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a good sign or signal is when u see yr fishes grasping for air at the surface, or they r breathing heavily.. do u climatize yr fishes b4 releasing them into yr tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just for your information about guppies, they like neutral to slight alkaline water, its better not to let your water dips below 6.5 (play safe) as guppys tends to get fin rot at lower pH.
    Besides wat Simon had said, may I know where u got your guppies from, cos they might be gotten from a fishfarm which uses high saline water to breed the guppies, u might want to add bit of salt into your water.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi MB

if your KH is at 6 and PH at 6, you have way over injected.....the ph you should be landing is around 6.9 to 7.

perhaps it may be good to get a CO2 test kit...the kind that you stick in the aquarium itself...three easy reading....

blue = insufficient
    green = correct level
    yellow = too much
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I do suspect that I have over injected CO2. I started with 2 bubble per second and the ph hang around 5. Then I started to added KH+ and the ph goes to around 6, I also reduce to 1 bubble per second. However, the ph never goes higher than 6.5. Any recommendations beside reducing the CO2 injection.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi malebetta

every tank has its own unique-ness(if there is such a word)what applies to one tank may not apply to another. As for the bubble per second it does not matter how many everyone else is injecting, the most important is to understand the relationship between KH and PH..... As for now if you KH is at 6, your PH should be max at 6.8.

your PH is stuck at 6.5, is your fish hanging around the surface for air?, if they are, just change 20 to 30% of your tank water ASAP(do not exceed 30% as you have just dumped in the KH....extreme water change my alter the KH valve and stress the fish). Stop injection and consider running an airpump leading to an air stone for at less 3 to 4hrs.

I would strongly recommend you get a long term CO2 test kit.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks David for the advise.

I do not know about the 2 guppies, they were near the surface most of the time, top level fish I guess. As for the guppies fries, yamato shrimp and oto, they were doing fine, swimming around and doing their jobs. I hope its normal.

The airstone, is it to get rid of the CO2 content in the water?

Feedback Score
    Here is the chart that relates CO2 to pH and KH. Sure enough, with a KH of 6, and pH of 6.0, your CO2 is WAY too high for your fish.

chart

I think that even Amano uses something like one bubble every 3 seconds in his tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ice,

1. How are diffusing your co2 diffuser or reactor?
    2. How many hours are you injecting the co2?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried with 1 bubble per 3 sec and a 20% water change. So far the ph is around 7. Will keep monitoring for the next few days. I'm using the reactor, the type with a piece of white ceremic on top. 10 hrs of on-time with 4 hrs in between them off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/14/2002 4:44:27 PM

Here is the chart that relates CO2 to pH and KH. Sure enough, with a KH of 6, and pH of 6.0, your CO2 is WAY too high for your fish.

chart

I think that even Amano uses something like one bubble every 3 seconds in his tanks.

----------------
    i use 4 bubbles per second, kH=0
    my fish are comfortable *shrug*

Feedback Score
    DEA, how big is the tank, though? And are you using any sort of diffusion method?