Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: MOSS BALL???

Feedback Score

MOSS BALL???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys I recently bought a roundish MOSS ball..Has anybody bought this before and know the species??

Also, some of moss ball seems to have been eaten up if I am not wrong by dono which fish...in that tank I have 2 Parrot fishes as well as a PLECO type of alge eater fish..( not sure of the exact species )

Q: Do Plecos actually eat plants?? I have never seen them doing it, but they are sure good algae eaters from the surface of the glass.

Q: I donno if parrot fishes will attack plants..but my hardy plants like Cryptocorne species and Aponogeton are untouched...

Q: The moss ball is rather cute...but I was told by the fish seller that you can ;t pull it apart and regrow like Java MOss...is this true???

Than does anybody know if it would look nice if tied onto wood like Java or Christmas Moss?? Is the moss particular abt temperature and CO2??

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Its called a marimo ball. I have one in my tank too. Cute fella. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Where did you guys get it? How much did it cost?

From what i know the Marimo ball is sort of protected in Japan cos they were over harvested... read some information on the Net and it seems that it will thrive in temperatures below 26 degrees.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Can try at Serangoon North. Don't no still have or not. I bought it 2 weeks ago. One for $10. Difficult to find. Expensive or not still also buy. HeHe[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you want to ensure your fish dun eat the plants, make sure they are well fed. I am feeding once in the morning before I go to work and once at night when I come back from work.

So long the filters are good, I guess a twice routine daily its okay although some would prefer to feed them once a day and each feeding its like facing a pack of hungry ghost...ha ha.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    c328 selling at $4 only hehehehehh

$10 is way too ex....

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

Just for your information, this "moss ball" is also called C.aegagrolia. It is not really a "moss ball" but rather a algae ball . So any fish that will feed on algae might feed on this ball. Mollies and guppies seems to like this very much.

It is very demanding, requires high light and more nutrients. It is written in "The Aquarium Plant Handbook" that this plant in its natural habitat will move around using undercurrent or rise in order to position themselves to recieve plenty of lights.

Regards
    smgwee @ gweesm1

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jialat... looks like it's either them or my faithful SAEs...
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Thanks Guys! Read abt the the Moss ball related articles on net...but I haven't verified that it is eaten by algae eating fish..

secondly, I read somewhere that on the contrary to being high demanding..one can even rear it in a bottle with some fish...etc..no need for sunlight nor fertiliser?? It is a apparently a token of love and high priced gift in Japan

Care to comment?

Anybody tried breaking it apart to form more balls?? hehe me on budget..So far the one in my tanks hasn't risen and fallen like they said on the net.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/13/2003 11:57:43 AM

Thanks Guys! Read abt the the Moss ball related articles on net...but I haven't verified that it is eaten by algae eating fish..

secondly, I read somewhere that on the contrary to being high demanding..one can even rear it in a bottle with some fish...etc..no need for sunlight nor fertiliser?? It is a apparently a token of love and high priced gift in Japan

Care to comment?

Anybody tried breaking it apart to form more balls?? hehe me on budget..So far the one in my tanks hasn't risen and fallen like they said on the net.
    ----------------
    Bro, it is slow growing like all mosses which require cold temp. If you dun turn it frequently, the other side will slowly turn brown. Dun bother cutting
    it into 2.

Feedback Score
    so how do they grown Marimo Balls in Farms then?

Mine has a hole and is hollow in the middle don't know how come..and its turning brown on the inside!

Regards
    Joachim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I heard from Mr Liu (Teo's staff) that some of the Marimo balls are imported from Romania and Russia.
    Marimo ball
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    At what temperature do you keep it?
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda