Thread: glossostigma and kh help

Feedback Score

glossostigma and kh help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey guys,
    how do i plant my glossos to get the best carpet results instead of it growing upwards and what are its preferred water conditions? oh yeah one more thing, how do i increase my kh? sodium bicarbonate? would appreciate some help.. thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My KH aways maintain between 9 ~10. Don't know how to bring it down to 5 or 6. You want to exchange some tank water with me?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Qwe123r, glosso needs good light to stay low 2-3W/Gallon of light should do the trick plus lots of CO2 and nutrients. Yup, you can use baking soda to increase your KH value.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kh of 3 to 5 will be good. IMO, 4-5 will b good as 3 is kinda low and u run the risk of encountering pH crash if you are careless.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    thanks for the help guys! i am currently using 2 15 watt bulbs. will that be sufficient?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you can calculate yourself? As long as the light range falls in the 2-3W/Gallon range with power compacts light, you are pretty safe.

Feedback Score
    FL lights? is the ratio different?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FL main flaw is its lack of peneration to deeper parts of the tank. If your tank is not deep till 2ft then it should be fine. You can still use it and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    40cm is fine?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Juz went to Teo's place on Saturday and saw their ADA setup tank. I got dumbfounded when I saw how big and round their glosso. was crawling in the 2 ft depth tank using juz 2 ADA FL at 30 watts each! Wonder how they did it? Anyone can help to clear the mist over my head? Thanks!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Cbph

Whats wrong with a KH of 9 to 10?....that is my current KH level of my tanks.

Hi Peter

Wattage per Gallon serves as a guideline, however, it does not take into account intensity. What I am trying to say is that the depth of the tank is a critical issue especially if the depth is 2 feet and above. 150watts of FL is not equal to 150watts of MH in terms of intensity.

The next thing is layout. If the are tall over hanging plants above the glosso, it may not be able to get full intensity as the light is going to be blocked.

For glosso to grow well, I think its best to have 3 to 4 watts if FL is to be used....and not forgeting a cool temperature tank.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI David,

I suspect my Tai Yang chao don't do well with high ph because the leaves start to turn yellow and die off eventually. Read somewhere that Tai Yang Chao need very soft water. I notice Amano tanks always have very low KH value and his tank are doing very well. I plan to remove all may coral chips in my external filter to see whether it helps.