Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder blue tang has ich

Feedback Score

Powder blue tang has ich

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Found out that my powder blue tang (recent addition on Fri night) has developed ich. Should I try to net the fish out to treat it? Can't do in-tank treatment for sure due to the corals and inverts present.

Its other mates are:
    Royal gramma
    Maroon clown
    Lyretail hogfish
    2 x banggai cardinal

Should I try to net all out as a precaution?

Temp of water is set at 28 degrees. Am thinking of leaving the powder blue in the tank for a few days to see how it goes as I don't think I am able to net it, given the many hiding places available in the tank.

Anyone who's got experience in this area, please let me have your advice.

Sigh... if one species of tangs wont recover from an ich breakout... it's the powder blue...

I also dunno what to do... cos my archilles also died... =(

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    firstly, Nivlac, what does your powder blue eat? i treated my purple tang with garlic juices mixed with mysis shrimps.. whitespots cleared within 2 days..
    the reason for whitespot to happen could be stress.. look at the factors lor..
    If not, can consider using this brand of medication called Exodin.. cost abt $18 at petmart.. u can try other brands like from kent marine.. price wise.. i dun know..
    anyway.. from experience, powder blue, black, brown, all have poor survivability rate.. they require high quality water parameters...[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for the advice.

My powder blue is not eating yet, and with the stress, and my high nitrates at 80+ ppm, that could all be causing him the stress. Damn hard to catch the bugger out of the tank and I'm almost resigned that it will die from certain death. Just hoping the white spot won't spread to other fish in the tank.

Kel, what's this garlic juice thing you're talking about? How do I administer and prepare the thing? And I thought powder blue tangs are herbivores?

Firstly... DONT BUY KENT MARINE RxP! NO GOOD!!!

2ndly Do try to net it out... cos it will REALLY cause an epidemic otherwise...

Lastly... Tangs eat almost everything...

Feeding them with a diet with vit C will so them good... I recommend this Tetra Flake food with Vit C... the fishes seem to like it a lot... so much so that they seem more voracious when snatching for flake than even mysis shrimp =)

I pray for your powder blue... but then again if he doesnt die, youre never gonna be able to put any other tangs... or blue fish... or similiarly sized angels into your tank ever again...

=P

The irony of marine...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nivlac, (reverse for calvin?)

ok.. first of all... identify what cause your nitrate level to hit 80ppm.. it is VERY HIGH!!!.. dangerously high.. consider doing water changes.. has your tank matured already b4 u dump the fish in? how big is your tank? the bio load might be another reason...that fish require high water quality of less than 15ppm NO3.. this could be the main reason.. coz i dun see the problem lying with your other fishes i.e bullying it coz it is very fierce.... anyway, try not to buy any more powder tangs, regardless powder black, blue, brown coz they have very poor survivability rate in the tank... learn from my experience...despite my NO3 being 5-10ppm.. my longest experience with one is abt 4-6 months...

Yes, just as Ice had mentioned, do try to catch it out...however, it also add to the stress level.. but i think u rather do that and isolate it then to have the entire tank kenna the disease...but i understand that it is very difficult to catch it out.. i have tried to catch some of my fishes [] but to no avail...[]

The garlic juice thingie is, firstly, u extract the juice of garlic by pounding it and add a few drops of water to the garlic.. then collect the garlic juice and mix it with the food (brine shrimps or mysis) and let it soak up the garlic juices... for a couple of minute.. stir it ard and feed it to the fishes..

well.. Tangs do relish a bit of meaty stuff from time to time.. as least my tangs do.. i have a hippo tang(aka blue tang, eats everything i dump in..veggie, tetra bits, mysis etc..really a hippo.. hahaha), naso tang (dun eat tetra bits but mysis, brine shrimps and lettuce), purple tang (like hippo tang).. i have other fishes as well..

another thing.. once the occupants have accustomed to the water parameters, they will acclimatise themselves and have an immunity towards certain diseases.. as in the case of my tank.. hippo is prone to whitespots but in this case, only my purple tang got it... get the drift? can consider getting the tetra flakes with vitamin C.. though i never tried it b4... quite ex i think..

suddenly, me thinking of soaking my tetra bits or mysis with orange juice.. as in the same theory as garlic juices.. hahaha.. cheaper like that.. hahaha.. also have vitamin C.. hahaha

and as ice and i had mentioned, powder blue is very fierce and territorial and chances are if it survive, u will not be able to add much fishes already..

all the best to u.. any prob.. reflect again..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    kel, thanks.
    Yes, nivlac is reverse of calvin

Got some Hikari mysis and trying to do the garlic thingy like you said. But will continue to try to catch the tang out. Don't want the whole tank to kena. Got my prized royal gramma and lyretail hawk inside.

Didn't know the tang was so territorial. I know it won't tolerate other tangs (that's why I bought the best looking type!) but didn't know it won't tahan any other types of fish of similar size. Was thinking of adding a couple of pygmy angels later as well.

You so lucky lor, can keep royal gramma... =( I cant lor... cos everytime I add one it goes MIA... and I'll see empty crab shells (aka moulted) *sigh*
    Guess the only safe place is the sump...

Hey Calvin, where did you get your lyretail hog? I cant seem to find one... and also, does it harm cleaner and blood shrimps? Cos I dont want to endanger my 2 beloved shrimps

Good luck =)

ps: catching a fish takes lotsa patience... I took about 45 mins to wait for my purple tang to be in a corner and *swoop* hehez... 1 shot 1 kill hehez...

Feedback Score
    ice, I kinda made sure the tank is as crab-free as possible by setting up many traps over the past months. Fished out a total of 10 stone crabs, and there are still about 2-3 left inside.

Got the lyretail hogfish from Marine Life at Hong Leong. $30. As of last Friday, there was one left. As I don't have any shrimp inside the tank, can't tell if it's ok with them but I believe this guy is from the wrasse family. the mouth is not too big but can tell the teeth are very sharp. Keeps blowing on my sandbed to see if there're critters I believe.

So you're the bugger that bought the Lyretail... I asked Patrick to reserve one for me liao... cos when I went there was only this 2cm Tiny Lyretail left...

Ermz What crab traps? How they look like? You have Xtra? Can lend me?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ice, i want that purple tang..

Calvin, for pygmy angels, wait for your tank to stablise first.. i.e. wait till the NO3 is lower.. coz most of them require NO3 levels to be no more than 15ppm.. and if your tank is small, u can try to keep 2 at most.. but must intro them at the same time.. dun get the same species..
    watch your bio-load.. i might be wrong but i am afraid that ur tank might not be able to support the amount of NO3 now... just dun want u to waste $$$..

Feedback Score
    Ice: Paiseh lah, left the small lytretail hog for you in the end. But mine was not much bigger lah. Did you get it in the end?

Re the crab traps, I got the idea from someone over the net in one of the reefcentral forums. You just need a small glass container (those used in Brand's essense of chicken or those where you get get containing baby food) which is quite deep. Put some bait in the glass container, position the 'trap' amongst some of your rockwork which the crab can access from. Come next day, just need to check if there're any crabs caught in there. The idea is to let them in but it will be impossible for them to come out. Unless your crab in the tank is so big that it can crawl straight out. Then you need a deeper glass container. Maybe a full sized vase!

Kel: thanks for the advice. Am definitely not adding anymore fish till my water quality improves. On my sight will be a flame angel and a potter's angel. But I understand some of them will peck at corals. So still thinking about it.

Anyway, just an update on the ich situation. Still had no luck in netting the tang, so prepared the mysis shrimp in the garlic juice, fed the fish, but the tang didn't eat any of it. However, the white spots on the tang seems to have eased off, and the ich doesn't seem to have spread to any of the other fishes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cal,
    the white spots are still there..it could be that it rubbed itself against the rocks.. or some small fishes peck it off.. my doc fish did that.. how long u had the fish? have it been weaned to such food? if not, can be quite a long process provided that it is not starved.. but in order to wean it over.. u have to starve it.. so that if it is hungry.. it will learn to eat..

Flame is nice.. i have both of them but potter is the nicest.. my piece tail glows under white light.. but it never come out after it entered my tank... if u want.. i should be able to get both of them for u at low prices.. give me your number.. so that i can look out for u when i visit the place.. the fishes are big and nicer than what u can get from the farms.. but as it is importer, they dun keep stock.. come and go.. so, have to depend on the luck lor.. i might be going down next week.. so. if u want.. can let me know.. dun mind helping u to get them if they have..that is if u trust me and my taste... from what i know.. Potter can cost from 45 to 60 pending on its size.
    as for whether it peck on the corals.. depends on individual character.. but generally, they are quite safe with reef.. can consider getting lemon peel and flame.. nice..
    U can ask spiff the size of the flame that i got for him.. very nice piece.. my friend bought it from that place but his tank cannot support it.. thus give it to me.. and i sold it to spiff..[]
    if u want.. can sms me at 96520875

Feedback Score
    Kel,

Will definitely call you when the time to add the angels to the tank come. Hope that time comes soon! Thinking of just adding a denitrator to speed up the process now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cal,
    personally, i dun use that gadget.. but i heard that it is quite good.. anyway.. my advice is to let the tank to stabilise so that it can cope with that amt of bio-load.. i have > 20 fishes and over 10 pieces of corals.. and my NO3 is no more than 10ppm... let nature take it course.. let your live rocks, sand bed and filter do the job for u.. if not, u will find it gonna be very expensive for this hobby.. i practise minimalistic tank..low cost.. student lah.. po pian.. still depending on finance minister of the house.. []
    Do let me know when u need to stock up.. so that when i go down, i can help u to keep a look out..
    []
    Happy new year..

Hrm... now we have Kel and Cal...

Cal> Do you live near Hong Leong? Maybe can go down together cos I go down rather regularly =)
    I find it rather necessary to go down quite often cos all the good stuff (lyretail hog) are snapped up so quickly... Hahaz *hint hint* Hahaz... *joking*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    let me know when u all go down.. i never been there b4..would like to take a look

Ice.. how is the purple tang? mind passing it to me?? hehehe

me too
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    u want to go or u wan the purple tang?? spiff?? hehehe

me wanna go!
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast