Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: possible to make aquarium plant flowers ?

Feedback Score

possible to make aquarium plant flowers ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is it possible for aquarium plant flowers ?

Does anyone have the experience to grow aquarium plants and make them come out flowers ? What are the conditions needed ?

Further, appreciate if someone can tell me if there is flowering and non-flowering plants in aquarium ? (I mean aquarium, not in commercial plant).........Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes some aquatic plants can flower. Some plants I have seen flower include my Aponogeton Ulvaceus, Echin. Red Flame, Echin, Cordifolia, Nuphar Japonica... not sure what triggers it but they definitely can... in fact, my E. Red Flame is flowering now... and theres a small plantlet as well.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BUT they all flower out of the water. I only know nana can flower in the water, and of course moss will form "spore-bodies" (just like miniature fruits).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thats true... many of them send out shoots and flower out of the water... in fact those I mentioned all did that
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Allen, seems that rosette plants (as those you mentioned) flower. Wonder if anyone have stem plants flower (I hope not a silly question).

As you mentioned also, don't know what triggers them to flower. Really interesting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cabomba and bacopa do flower. Only above water.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My Barclaya flowered once (before I bought my digicam [] ) ... Its last 2 attempts to flower were failures - The flower stem went all the way up to the surface and just rotted off after a week ... I have 3 more flower stems at the moment and I hope at least one of them can succeed ... Maybe if I apply Murphy's Law and loan my camera to some1 during this period of time ...
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, my ludwigia sp. do flower, above water too.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All aquatic plants can flower, except for mosses, ferns, algae and liverworts (e.g. Riccia). Rosette plants can extend out a flowering stalk above the water, while stem plants need to grow out of the water to bloom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    follow this thread for some pics...

Aquatic Flowers

Enjoy
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    sounds exciting and getting jealous to know most of you guys got flowers, hehe.....

again the same old question puzzles me: WHAT IS THE CONDITION NEEDED FOR FLOWERING ?

I had my bacopa caroliniana submerged for at least 3 or 4 months already but no flowers, how come ah ???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Run some searches online and you may just get lucky. For example,

Article from theKrib
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2003 3:14:49 PM

sounds exciting and getting jealous to know most of you guys got flowers, hehe.....

again the same old question puzzles me: WHAT IS THE CONDITION NEEDED FOR FLOWERING ?

I had my bacopa caroliniana submerged for at least 3 or 4 months already but no flowers, how come ah ???
    ----------------
    I even once had my tiger lotus sending up a bloom, a very nice deep pink with yellow centre, about 4-5in diameter, but only lasted couple of days. since then no more bloom.

For lotus, you must let it produce floating leaves, these are leaves of a different shape that grows all the way to the surface. the submersed leaves will rot away, and if it is happy, maybe you will get a bloom.

What do you mean your bacopa is submerged? They have to be EMERSED (out of water) to flower!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    saw a poster at SAM YICK Thomson Branch (ex goldhill square), it says that when aquatic plants flowers, it is a sign of distress, trying to send "offsprings" to other locations in search of better conditions.

I am not sure how true it is cos I use to have a plant that flowered almost every week, till it outgrew my tank, gave it away.

So just some comments which I read. I am surprised by this statement too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In general, when plants flower it means they have built up enough reserve to "invest" in flowering, which is a costly affair. Of course some flowers also practice the go for broke method, i.e. if condition is harsh they put all remaining reserve to flowering and getting the seeds ready before the parent dies.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some plants are triggered by seasons especially those from temperate regions. They will flower in response to change in daylength and temperature.

BC

Feedback Score
    hi hwchoy: you are right, it was my typo-error, EMERGED and not submerged. thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean your bacopa is growing emersed and yet have no flowers!? [:0]

I really don't know what to say, mine simply grows out of the water, and starts having lots of tiny purple flowers every day, that's all!

Feedback Score
    hi hwchoy: yes mine is growing emerged for few months already and let it extends until some bended to behind the tank. Maybe my Feng Shui not optimum, haha.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dx, tsk tsk… my sympathies []