Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Recommend a freshwater fish for an alkaline tank?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Recommend a freshwater fish for an alkaline tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for fish to stock my semi-failed tank. As a bit of a background, I set up a desert themed tank using some sand that the Qian Hu sales person said wouldn't affect the PH level.

Currently the tank has been stuck at a 7.5 PH level ever since I filled it with water. Water changes and chemical tinkering have been able to bring the water level down for 3-4 days but it always eventually climbs back up. My fish have been in a state of perpetual stress in that tank , so I'm hoping to move them out and stock that tank with something a bit more suitable to the environment.

I'm looking for any suggestions for a fish that schools and is comfortable in higher PH water. I know tetras can supposedly tolerate that level of PH but they won't be happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could use the tank for? It's a 3ft low tank with a sandy theme. It has CO2, lighting and chiller all attached.

Thanks for your input. Would prefer not to have to decomm the tank as that can get very messy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recommend a freshwater fish for an alkaline tank?

Hi,

CO2 and chiller? So there are plants in the tank right? you can keep guppies since they prefer hard and alkaline water. So if your water is alkaline, guppies should do fine.

Hian

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

6.5-7.5 is considered in the neutral area IMO. If you taste it, it will neither be sour or bitter. Most tetras can tolerate it. Consider other factors for the fish deaths. [I know somebody have kept discus in pH7.8 and GH beyond 10 and bred them for sale.] What exactly is the substrate?

African cichlids[Malawi and Tanganyika] are hard water species that live in pH8+. 7.5 might not be enough for them.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mollies, platies etc will be suitable for a smaller tank.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

7.5 is an alright pH for most fish, so i guess that should not be the main reason of your fish loss. invest in a test kit and check for your ammonia and nitrite level.