Thread: Shrimp Community Tank

Feedback Score

Shrimp Community Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

wanted to post this on the other shrimp thread but dun think it's quite the same.

anyone has experience with the setting up of a shrimp tank?? Bought 12 cherrys and 10 tigers yesterday, today only left with 3 cherrys and 1 tiger..

took water from my planted tank and check that ammonia level was zero... temp of tank is also at a cool of around 25 degree...

sigh.. $$ down the drain...

appreciate if any bros or sis here can share their experience as i am still determine to set up the shrimp community tank.. thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you acclimatise your shrimps first or you just dump them straight into the tank from the bag?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    I'm curious to find out what your nitrAte levels are. A week ago, I got three tiger shrimp and three bumblebee shrimp. The tigers have been fine, but I lost one of the bees yesterday. I'm wondering if it's because I've been incrementally increasing the amount of nitrate I dose daily. I quickly did a water change and the other two bees are still alive and seem to be okay. If it wasn't the nitrate, it may be the temperature (although likely not in your case because you say your temperature is okay).

Did you also check pH, GH & KH? Do you have CO2 injection? And you're not adding any copper-containing reagents to your tank (like Aquari-sol), right?

Feedback Score
    i let the bag rest on the water for abt an hour b4 opening it up and let water slowly trickled in..

temp of tank is 25 degree.. no base fertilizer use.. only black sand and mosses... ammonia is zero, did not add in nitrate.. i suspect that it could be because i use water from my planted tank..

have since did a water change using aged water.. currently left with 2 cherry survivor... hope to get more from lake aquarium if all is well tomorrow..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya i got a shrimp community tank too. cherry shrimps, tiger shrimps, and bee shrimps.
    most hardy=cherry shrimps. i never tested the water for PH, KH or GH. only nitrate and nitrite. with Dennerle test strips, it showed presence of nitrite. I will do some water change every week. my tiger shrimps jumped out of the tank, few "hei bee" on the floor. bee shrimps are sensitive, got about 10 last week, now can only see 5 of them. cherry shrimps still not that bad. now 3 of them got eggs, saw a baby two days ago, saw another smaller one today. can't see whether any more. i have a hanging external filter and an internal filter. think the water can be cleaner that way. below my gravel, had undergravel filter and some ceramic rings under another container. just something like what i saw in this website http://www.charm.co.jp/akabee/002.htm. jus modified to my own. feed the shrimps everyday, with fish flakes, frozen worms, etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tank newly setup? If so, it might still be cycling? Casualty rate can be high during such process.

Feedback Score
    just got another batch of very nice cherries and bumble bees shrimps from lake aquarium in Ginza Plaza... Got a few pregnant shrimps inside. Bros and sis who are interested in shrimp community should go check out the stock on offer. Think u won't be able to resist getting some back..

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/19/2003 12:51:59 AM

ya i got a shrimp community tank too. cherry shrimps, tiger shrimps, and bee shrimps.
    most hardy=cherry shrimps. i never tested the water for PH, KH or GH. only nitrate and nitrite. with Dennerle test strips, it showed presence of nitrite. I will do some water change every week. my tiger shrimps jumped out of the tank, few "hei bee" on the floor. bee shrimps are sensitive, got about 10 last week, now can only see 5 of them. cherry shrimps still not that bad. now 3 of them got eggs, saw a baby two days ago, saw another smaller one today. can't see whether any more. i have a hanging external filter and an internal filter. think the water can be cleaner that way. below my gravel, had undergravel filter and some ceramic rings under another container. just something like what i saw in this website http://www.charm.co.jp/akabee/002.htm. jus modified to my own. feed the shrimps everyday, with fish flakes, frozen worms, etc.
    ----------------
    wow, that's quite a lot of filtration for a tank.. guess i better go get more filters as well.. currently only using one box filter with active carbon, and another sponge filter.. going to remove teh sponge filter soon and replace with air stone... however, on looking at ur post.. think i'm going to get another box filter to replace it...

thanks for the tips... hope my shrimp community will also thrive like urs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think letting the water slowly trickle in is not good enough, unless of course the trickling is done over an hour. Putting the bag in the tank only causes the temp to change slowly to the tank temp. It does not change the bag water composition whatsoever.

If you start pouring in water slowly bit by bit over one hour, then the shrimps has a better chance of survival.

Regards
    Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/19/2003 5:56:55 PM

I think letting the water slowly trickle in is not good enough, unless of course the trickling is done over an hour. Putting the bag in the tank only causes the temp to change slowly to the tank temp. It does not change the bag water composition whatsoever.

If you start pouring in water slowly bit by bit over one hour, then the shrimps has a better chance of survival.

Regards
    Robin

----------------
    that's what i'm doing now...