3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Spiky brownie growth on Hairgrass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have just started on a planted tank and having endless problem. Now I have in my tank Golden Nana, Nana Petite, Java Fern, Unknown Stem Plant (brown color), Seaweed and Hairgrass. After 1 week i cant say if any of my plants are growing but nevertheless they look fresh. Except for my hairgrass it seem to have spiky brownie hair sticking out along the length of grass. Is this an algae problem?. If it is why has my other plants being spared?. Sorry cant post any pics because lousy camera pic not clear. My tank all 4 sides has no trace of algae, is it still possible to be an algae problem?. Please advise how to tackle this problem. Please refer to details of my tank below and advise if there are any misfits.

Tank Size : 1.5 x 1 x 1
    Filter : Hydor Prime 10 ( flow rate 300l/h)
    Lighting : 2 X 24w T5
    Temp : 28 ~ 29 C (Fan cool no chiller)
    CO2 : None
    Substrate : Aquaconcept soil

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Spiky brownie growth on Hairgrass

Too much light for a non-CO2 fertilized tank. Soon it will spread to other area. The plants you have are super slow grower. The only ones that will grow is hair grass, unknown stem plant [ its red not brown, because no co2 therefore it is brown ] and seaweed? Perhaps the ones that will grow are suppressed by lack of CO2. For this reason, algae is attacking it first, because......the hair grass is dying. Sorry to tell you that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    Too much light for a non-CO2 fertilized tank. Soon it will spread to other area. The plants you have are super slow grower. The only ones that will grow is hair grass, unknown stem plant [ its red not brown, because no co2 therefore it is brown ] and seaweed? Perhaps the ones that will grow are suppressed by lack of CO2. For this reason, algae is attacking it first, because......the hair grass is dying. Sorry to tell you that.
    Thanks bro for the detail feedback. Initially i had the DIY CO2 but had to remove it because the fishes were gasping for breath even though dropchecker indicated adequate level. The seaweed in question is Subwasseteng. So do i tune down the lighting or introduce CO2 or do both?. By the way is my choice of plants for a non co2 tank appropriate?.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Subwassertang - i have no experience with this plant. you need to do some search

Golden Nana, Nana Petite, Java Fern - need not CO2. but they will not blossom. they won't die either. however, nana must be shaded even you are supplying them with co2. i don't know why. but nana do well when they are shaded.

hairgrass and most stem plant needs co2. even hygrophila difformis need some co2. therefore, either rid the plants or add CO2

how long do you keep the light on ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    Subwassertang - i have no experience with this plant. you need to do some search

Golden Nana, Nana Petite, Java Fern - need not CO2. but they will not blossom. they won't die either. however, nana must be shaded even you are supplying them with co2. i don't know why. but nana do well when they are shaded.

hairgrass and most stem plant needs co2. even hygrophila difformis need some co2. therefore, either rid the plants or add CO2

how long do you keep the light on ?
    Lights on 12 hrs in a stretch. I love the reddish effect so will rather try adding co2 than rid off the plants. Noted yr points on nana. Since i have a few bunch of them, will put some under shade and observe the different growth rate.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think 12 hrs are too much. 6 hours will be nice. DIY CO2 doesn't count. Plants need consistent CO2 so that they can adjust their intake and make food during certain time. Yeah. Plants are smart they will know when you going to turn light, open up themselves for photosynthesis. However, inconsistent level of CO2 certainly don't help.

Let's hear from others. This is only my assessment and may not address the whole issue

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like the algae is getting out of hand. Fine brown dots on rocks and leaves of all plants. I suppose this could be the much dreaded brown algae. I managed to rinse the algae off some plants. For a start i will heed bro Barnby advise and reduce the lighting duration from 12hrs to 6hrs. At the moment i have 2 guppies and 1 Otto in the tank. Will add 2 more ottos and malayan shrimps to deal with algae. What else can i do to take stock of this issue. Do i need to do a 100% water change?. Will a DIY co2 help to supress algae problem even though it might not do much to boost plant growth?.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

get more otocinclus should help solve the problem of brown algae. Do a 50% water change at a time will suffice, 100% will certainly mess up your biological filter system in the tank.

My guess is if your hairgrass is freshly purchased from the LFS, its in emersed form. The leaves that start to die will decompose and encourage algae to grow on it. Once its fully converted to submersed form should be fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long has the hair grass been in the tank before you see brownie growth?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlips200278 View Post
    How long has the hair grass been in the tank before you see brownie growth?
    3 to 4 days only