wow free lesson plus lfs tour

where to get...happy reefing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie to marine

i will try to arrange something. Bro Ro, when is the best time for you?
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm now on leave till the 10th. 13th till 18th night shift, 19th to 20th off but due to Hari Raya might be visiting relative. So on the 9th till 14th, 19th to 20th, totally not free. We could go on lfs tour either before the 9th or 15th onwards.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

if i remember correctly, 9th Sep IMM got Marine Reef Exposition
    can go check out the new technology etc etc

cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i was going round the farms today and came across this thing called "Quick Start System". Anyone has any experience with it?

http://www.jirehmarine.com/index.php...ub&tid=2&pid=1
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Look the other way.
    Last edited by BFG; 7th Sep 2010 at 21:41.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Look the other way.
    I don't understand...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

its not nice for us to critic a method or a system deployed by a shop or commercial entity, but I was in Marine for a good 3-4 years and I've been to the mentioned location and let's just say I usually "window shop"...
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Desmond, I tend agree with you about this shop but then again I saw that their displays are all running on the QSS. Anyway, I was only looking around.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can I join the classroom too?

I've been reading up on starting a marine nano tank in office. I'm trying to keep things simple (or as simple as marine can possibly get anyway!) due to the fact that it's an office tank and I don't want too much hassle at work.

From what I've read, marine nanos don't actually require alot of the high end equipment due to their small size. The size I'm looking at is a 1.5ft or maximum 2ft tank (50-70 litres). From the nano-reef forums, it seems that all I really need is good live rock (1lb per gallon) and a wavemaker and no other external filtration or equipment needed. I'll have to maintain a strict 10% per week water change regime (which I can do), and I save the hassle of sump/canister maintenance. At most I'll put in a HOB for chemical filtration (activated carbon and phoszorb).

My office is air conditioned with a huge aircon over my seat, plus I only intend to keep 1 pair of clownfish and perhaps a firefish on top of the usual invertebrate cleaning crew. Corals will be limited to easy ones (mushrooms & zoas) at a later stage once I'm more comfortable with the hobby. In light of the above, I don't think I'll need a chiller.

Finally for lights. I have ordered 3W LEDs and intend to make my own lightset using 6x white and 6x blue if I go with 1.5ft or 8x white and 8x blue if I go with 2ft.

Is my above setup feasible?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Can I join the classroom too?

I've been reading up on starting a marine nano tank in office. I'm trying to keep things simple (or as simple as marine can possibly get anyway!) due to the fact that it's an office tank and I don't want too much hassle at work.

From what I've read, marine nanos don't actually require alot of the high end equipment due to their small size. The size I'm looking at is a 1.5ft or maximum 2ft tank (50-70 litres). From the nano-reef forums, it seems that all I really need is good live rock (1lb per gallon) and a wavemaker and no other external filtration or equipment needed. I'll have to maintain a strict 10% per week water change regime (which I can do), and I save the hassle of sump/canister maintenance. At most I'll put in a HOB for chemical filtration (activated carbon and phoszorb).

My office is air conditioned with a huge aircon over my seat, plus I only intend to keep 1 pair of clownfish and perhaps a firefish on top of the usual invertebrate cleaning crew. Corals will be limited to easy ones (mushrooms & zoas) at a later stage once I'm more comfortable with the hobby. In light of the above, I don't think I'll need a chiller.

Finally for lights. I have ordered 3W LEDs and intend to make my own lightset using 6x white and 6x blue if I go with 1.5ft or 8x white and 8x blue if I go with 2ft.

Is my above setup feasible?
    Interestingly your office layout sound very much like my previous office layout... and I upgraded from a 1ft tank to a 1.5ft cube tank and managed to keep corals/fishes for about a year plus before downgrading to a FOWLR(Fish Only With Live Rock)... the only hassle is topping up of water due to the big air con above... I could get a temp of 22-25 deg and on weekends I had to depend on a fan as they off the aircon over the weekends (as we only work 5 days week)

Do bear in mind that firefish are great jumpers and a cover might be necessary, mushrooms and zoas are find but do take care that zoas can be nasty when they die off...

just some of my past experience... oh and yes its definitely feasible...
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yi Xiang, You are most welcome to join us. Do you mind driving us for the proposed trip?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dnsfpl View Post
    if i remember correctly, 9th Sep IMM got Marine Reef Exposition
    can go check out the new technology etc etc

cheers
    If you see a medium vlamingi tang and a large green wrasse, they both came from my tank. Gave them both to the lady boss at Iwarna and she told me they will be going to the IMM exhibition.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    If you see a medium vlamingi tang and a large green wrasse, they both came from my tank. Gave them both to the lady boss at Iwarna and she told me they will be going to the IMM exhibition.
    One thing I like about Iwarna is not because they are cheap, but the willingness to take over fish and corals that aquarist regretted. So far they had helped me adopt by ex-carpet anemone and ex-blue damsel (both from previous owner). Lilian is a nice lady to deal with but I usually avoid the guys.

David,
    There are more than one theory of a good system. Some examples are "over-skimming", Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS), Deep sand bed (DSB) etc. Personally, I am use the 2nd method. I feed the algae to my yellow tang and algae blenny they and love it. I do not test my tank for ANNP but it have been running well over 6 months without other filtration with minimal algae problem. I have not perform and water change but I do dose Cal, Mg, and some trace from time to time. I feed pretty heavy on frozen food as well.
    My friend (whom you got the 2ft tank from) swore by DSB claiming he ran a "fish and live rock" tank for 3 years without changing water.

End of the day, there are tonnes of theories from each fan groups and all claims they are being supported by professional and scientific evidences.... the more you read, the more confused you will be.

The ATS received one of the biggest rejections from many community and many believe it is due to manufacturers worrying about losing market shares or simply fans club of certain product. My tank is not totally algae free but I think it is very manageable. I wouldn't say ATS is the best or only solution you can explore but I do hope you understand what you read from the net very well could be bias or tainted by manufacturers' false claims.

My 2 penny worths
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Billy,

I must agree with you that the more I read about the marine hobby, the more lost i become... But I think I will continue to read and experiment with the cheaper stuffs first before I go big scale.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Of all the theory or system that's available, the underlying importance is the parameter. You can use any system you think is fit for your tank but you'll need to keep parameter such as salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and temperature at a constant level. Nitrate and phosphate needs to be as close as 0 if possible but this depend on your tank corals ie nps, softies and lps might tolerate 'dirty' water but sps needs clean pristine water. Most of the times, books are really not updated on what system is available to be use for your set up, just that you need to really read more stuff online like what I have mentioned before. But do take your time, there's so much choice out there, just need to find one that is feasible for your set up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If someone gets the car, I am willing to fully sponsor the petrol!

This bring backs memories of school trips.

1) Just a question for BFG, what is nps?

2) For Altum, many of the books we read currently are really abit out of date, however this new book regarding reefing is coming out and it claims to have quite updated technology used recently, perhaps you can think about this as a good reference book, the problem with the internet sometimes is that information is all over the place, and for oldies like me, I prefer to read from a book than from a screen. http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/08/c...-book-reefing/

3) Also for the rest, it is true that there are many roads to the same destination, but has anyone tried a combination of the various feasible methods?

Am thinking of going with a very good skimmer + DSB + nitrate reactor + Fluidised Bed reactor, as the typical Singaporean, am now thinking of adding in Zeo system and ATS, overkill?

I rather play safe when it comes to livestock, or would the systems contradict each other?

Thanks and God bless
    Last edited by samhon; 9th Sep 2010 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

NPS are usually referred to as corals that do not require lights at all. They usually required manual feedings and have zero (or near zero) photosynthesis capabilities.
    Examples are Duncan, Suns, Supersuns just to name a few.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For the benefit of others.

NPS- Non-PhotoSynthesis coral
    Softies- Soft coral ( without skeleton )
    LPS- Large Polyp Stony coral
    SPS- Small Polyp Stony coral

Samhon, my answer for your 3rd question is you can combine whatever methodology or system there is but you should know what you're doing because of the fact you might be the only few doing what you're doing and the rest of the community might not know what is the outcome of the combination or system. For me personally, I am going for a system which uses a larger than necessary skimmer, soon to be dosing system, carbon media filtration reactor, biohome as main bacteria colony ( no live rock at all due to the eco green environment thingy ), semi dsb ( deep sand bed ) and water change when I feel like it system. I keep it simple but mainly because of budget constraint.

Try not to use a DSB as this is a time bomb in itself. A nitrate reactor is not necessary in my opinion. Fluidised Bed reactor or Fluidised Media reactor? Fluidised Bed reactor is a reactor filled with sand and water is pushed through this sand to filter out large particle while a Fluidised Media reactor is a reactor container that houses either carbon and/or phosphate removing media.

Can't comment on the Zeo system as I have never uses them due to budget constraint. ATS is a topic Goondoo can address you with. You can mix and match these system but you need to plan the sump compartment for each system.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I do agree with the need of skimmer, though I am not using one.... I do have one actually, but no sump space to house it and not comfortable housing it externally.
    My original plan was running the skimmer about 2-3 days a week. As one of the main advantage of ATS alone system is the vast amount of pods it would grow.
    Consistent skimming will kill or remove them.
    However, I do appreciate the trash a skimmer would remove.

PS: I do use a pack of cheap activated carbon and replace it every 3-4 months.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast