Images
    Country
    China

Setting up a new planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just got finanical approval from my CFO(Wife).

Will be setting up a new 3ft planted tank.

Can someone advise me where to get those black colour gravel and price too?

And which type of base fertisiler is good.

My plan is to setup a simple one with either glosso or hair grass and probably moss on driftwood.

Thanks in advance.
    Just a Newbie ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can someone advise me where to get those black colour gravel and price too?
    Nature Aquarium is a good place to start. Address is in the LFS list.

And which type of base fertisiler is good.
    Personally, it won't make much different which type of base you use. Ultimately you will be tempted to or need to dose through the water column.

My plan is to setup a simple one with either glosso or hair grass and probably moss on driftwood.
    Glosso and hairgrass need good light and CO2. Moss likes cooler water, hence fans. You will need to have them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Its been quite sometime since I have seen black gravel. Whatever you do, dont get the shiny ones because personally, The effect sucks. The matt types are better but expect to pay alot more as I think Dennerle is the only brand that is matt.

As for Base fert, there are basically three types. Pure Fert and Soil Based....Pure Fert basically needs to be mixed with gravel by yourself and as time goes by, this fert will diminished....try not to use pure fert by itself without mixing as certain plants do not react too good if the base is too rich (Brand example: BioPlast). Soil based is what it means....premixed and this sort of fert can be used to layer your tank directly without mixing just before the gravel top (Brand example: JBL). Recently there is an influx of what is known as Power Sand....which I am not too familiar with.....sooooo I think its best if a forumer who is using this sort of fert explain to you (Brand example: ADA...I think).

If you like glosso and hair grass, do not have gravel thickness of 1 inch over your base fert.....this is because it will take a longer time for the roots to reach its food source and thus a longer time for establishment.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I got my black gravel from a shop in farm mart. $12 for a 10kg pack or $6 for a 5kg one. but the gravel is a tad too fine for my liking, 1-3mm if I remember correctly.

What I did is to put everything into a fine plastic mesh and wash off the dirt and the smaller pieces.

As for the rest of the items, sorry I can't help much cause I not using them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    u wanna get fish too bro?refer to my thread buy/sell section.gd deal especially if u stay east side or have own xport.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bluezing,
    I'm sure plantbie saw your fish sales advert. But please allow plantbie to setup his tank, go thru the proper cycling procedures and stabilize the tank conditions before putting in any fishes (except for cycling fishes).

Plantbie,
    For base fert, we often mentioned JBL as it seems to be quite good (I used it for all my tanks) for a lower price compared to other branded ferts. There's an even cheaper alternative to base fert which is Aquatic Compost which I think it is not too bad. Maybe you can use those root monsters (loose form) to supplement this fert. For me, I'm using A.COmpost, supplement with Ocean Free root monsters and Bioplast Terraminerals and topped up with a layer of JBL. So far, I really like the results. Up to you if you want to try.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]