Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Malayan Shrimps eating mah Hair !

Feedback Score

Malayan Shrimps eating mah Hair !

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

caught mah malayan shrimp eating a couple of strands of mah hair grass just now So how ?? Malayan shrimp Tempura or Dried Shrimp ??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you sure u see correctly?
    Maybe they are innocent.
    They are only trying to clear the algae on your hair grass.
    Spare them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can always catch and pass them to me. I'll adopt Malayan Shrimps any day. []
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you sure abt that? mi never see any of my malayan eating my plants

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You Smilies very cute! anyway erm. read only Shrimp eats only soft algae and dead matter. live plants, nahhhh.......

but if you still ion doubt observe a few days more, in the end still cannot rest in peace... take them out let bros here adopt.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    [] i saw one sitting in a corner , the two "hands" holding a strand , then putting it at its mouth and started chewing , this happened when i sat down infront of the tank and was looking around , when the hair was down to half its length , he gave up and took another strand quite funny to see it slowly munching , machiam lolipop

i also spotted some green algea , it was creeping amongst the glosso and also the gravel beneath , some have also spread to the front glass scrubbing seems to help at the moment , but i scared oneday it spreads all over the gravel [:0]

Any remedies ?

-black out ?
    -salt ?
    -daphnia (i really dunno what is that , a fish ? a snail ? a.... "thing ?quot; )
    -add more SAE ? i onli haf 1 now
    -sucker fishes ? or issit known as "oto" ?

Tank: 2ft
    Co2: Constant about 2+bps (cos if its lower bps , it would seem to die off and haf to readjust the valve)
    Fertilizers: ...does fish poop count ?
    Lights: FL 2x15w about 12hr (+/-) a day
    Night lights: Unfortunately the tank is in the living room where there are two bulbs in a nearby cabinet(warm lights) always on 24/7 , about 2 metres from the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sure they are munching on the algae..its new microscopic growth. Assuming you have a standard 2ft X 1ft X 1ft tank..about 15gallons..minus away some substrate would give you 14 gallons of tank water. With 30W over 14 gallons of water would give you about slightly over 2W/G which is pretty good...(you are driving the tank at a slower rate so even if algae creeps in, it will be slow as compared to one with very high light and bad control.)

Bubble rate does not tell you anything about your CO2 level..you would need the pH and KH readings in order to find them. Get them in the 20-30ppm range throughout the entire light period day in day out. Once that is fixed, you can go on to dosing N,P,K and traces which might require you to do some reading up. CO2 is your biggest problem for now I think..NO3 is the other if it is building up or missing.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Mr Gwee aka Mr CO2. [] []

Feedback Score
    after measuring my ph n kh , they stand at around 6.5-7 (colour looks like inbetween) and kh of 10

so the range of Co2 would put me in about 30-94ppm [:0]

At the moment there are just a few(9+3) fishies in it , due to cycling the tank , but i think its about 3 to 4 weeks now , so i guess its safe that i'll be adding more tetras

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmm...something is not right. At 30ppm, your fishes would be fine but at 94ppm, your fishes would be long dead. I don't use pH test kits due to poor precision because of the wide intervals. I would get a test pen and get it over with.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    [:0] hmm....so i guess i just should keep an eye out , and should the fishies start gasping for air on top , then i would have to lessen the Co2 , and also throw in aeration []

btw , i do have abit of coral shells in the tank , i threw em in cos they would look nice [] any chances that i should remove em ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Having this range is very dangerous.
    Fishes can only tolerate at most 30ppm.
    Did you measure your KH correctly?
    What brand are you using?

Actually from my understanding, coral chips will increase the KH of your water gradually once it is added. Hence it is not really advisable unless you do weekly water change.
    If not, your KH will keep increasing.....
    That may explain why your KH is 10.

Feedback Score
    Kh testing is based on a KH test kit from sera , it took about 10 drops for it to change to yellow so i guess its kh of 10 for me . As for water change , i do change em every week . But for a KH of 10 , i hope it would not harm the fishies . As for ph , i understand a value of 7 (+/-1) would be the most tolerable for em , cos i notice when my Co2 is off , the ph shoots up to 7-8 [:0] as for casualties , none that seem to be water-condition induced , yet .

Btw , those Fern plants look rather nice any recommendations ?