Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Corkscrew Vallisneria - its exact identity

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was simply asking someone to supply me with the exact scientific name for the quite common aquarium plant - Corkscrew Vallisneria. So I posted my question at several aquarium forums with most ignoring the question and a few telling me it was so confusing that my question could not be answered.

I tried to find the answer from the web but although I found 12 accepted scientific names listed under the genus Vallisneria in the "Catalogue of Life: 2010 Annual Checklist" but I still could not find the exact name for the corkscrew vallisneria. I am posting the list and making a request for the answer

I) Vallisneria americana Michx. Synonym Vallisneria neotropicalis Vict.

II) Vallisneria anhuiensis X.S.Shen

III) Vallisneria annua S.W.L.Jacobs & K.A.Frank

IV) Vallisneria australis S.W.L.Jacobs & Les Synonym Vallisneria spiralis var. procera

V) Vallisneria erecta S.W.L.Jacobs

VI) Vallisneria longipedunculata X.S.Shen

VII) Vallisneria nana R.Br. Synonyms 1) Vallisneria gigantea Graebn. 2) Vallisneria gracilis F.M.Bailey

IIX) Vallisneria natans (Lour.) H.Hara Synonyms 1) Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis (Miki) Lowden 2)Vallisneria asiatica Miki 3) Vallisneria asiatica var. biwaensis Miki 4) Vallisneria asiatica var. higoensis Miki 5)Vallisneria biwaensis (Miki) Ohwi 6) Vallisneria densiserrulata (Makino) Makino 7) Vallisneria higoensis (Miki) Ohwi 8.)Vallisneria minor Ito 9) Vallisneria natans var. biwaensis (Miki) H.Hara 10) Vallisneria natans var. higoensis (Miki) H.Hara 11) Vallisneria physkium Juss. ex Spreng., nom. illeg. 12) Vallisneria spiralis forma minor (Ito) Makino 13)Vallisneria spiralis var. densiserrulata Makino 14) Vallisneria spiralis var. subulispatha Makino 15)Vallisneria spiraloides Roxb. 16) Vallisneria subulispatha (Makino) Koidz.

IX) Vallisneria rubra (Rendle) Les & S.W.L.Jacobs

X) Vallisneria spinulosa S.Z.Yan

XI) Vallisneria spiralis L. Synonyms 1) Vallisneria aethiopica Fenzl 2) Vallisneria jacquiniana Spreng. 3)Vallisneria jacquinii Savi 4) Vallisneria linnet Bercht. & J.Presl 5) Vallisneria micheliana Spreng. 6)Vallisneria michelii Savi 7) Vallisneria numidica Pomel 8.) Vallisneria pusilla Barbieri ex Bertol. 9)Vallisneria spiralis forma aethiopica (Fenzl) T.Durand & Schinz 10) Vallisneria spiralis subvar. jacquinii (Savi) Nyman 11)Vallisneria spiralis subvar. michelii (Savi) Nyman 12) Vallisneria spiralis var. numidica (Pomel) Maire & Weiller 13)Vallisneria spiralis var. pusilla (Barbieri ex Bertol.) Nyman

XII) Vallisneria triptera S.W.L.Jacobs & K.A.Frank
    A rolling stone which has come to rest

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Corkscrew Vallisneria - its exact identity

Vallisneria Sp.

Now you can choose not to believe

I always like to have people to correct me. Therefore, I post

Btw, Vallisneria cross or bred by different farms can name their own kind or "branding"

Oriental Singapore catalog itself has 8 species!!

Hence, which country of Corkscrew Vallisneria that you are looking for?

Don't be shy

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

According to the most prestigious of the aquarium plant supplier - Tropica - Vallisneria with the corkscrew type leaves of unknown origin was collected from the Torta lake in Japan and is the "ancestor" to the many varieties found on the market. Tropica itself markets 2 corkscrew varieties of Vallisneria; namely 'Tropica No. 056' which it calls Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis and 'Tropica No. 056B' which it calls Vallisneria americana "Mini Twister". Tropica has also disclosed that the plant it calls Vallisneria americana "Mini Twister"; is produced by the Oriental nursery in Singapore before it is shipped to Denmark. Looking at the aquarium market today we can only remark that all aquarium supplies, especially livestock, is highly cosmopolitan. So does the question "which country of Corkscrew Vallisneria that you are looking for?" have any relevance? Anyway my location down to my hometown is disclosed in the forum and appears on each of my post.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have the Oriental Singapore catalog. it might help if you are looking for a Vallisneria from a particular place. It might just help to narrow the hunt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

I got my plant from a street market in Calcutta (now Kolkata), India, something like the attached picture.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

OK. The situation is that you have the plant and will like to know their origin instead of searching for a particular corkscrew vallisneria. I cannot help further