Country
    Singapore

Procedure for new plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy new plants and I would like to know if they will be alright if i kept them in untreated tap water in a pail for a few days before planting them into my tank.Also, is it advisable to use sewing thread to secure moss and plants to the driftwood?

I realise that many buy the plants at C328. Will they be able to show me the plants if I said Java Fern, Java Moss or Anubias Nana?

Thanks alot!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Procedure for new plants

sewing thread i tried to use but i dont know why they will break after a period of time... i am not sure whether the untreated tap water will harm the plants because theres still chlorine in the water... it may bleach the plant.... the auntie at c328 should be able to show you the plants provided that shes not too busy with customers..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i've used sewing thread before its easier to tie than using fishing line...by the time thread disintegrate its safe to say that by then your mosses and your nanas would have already cling on the wood...so far at C328 except for ferns so far java moss and anubias nana would be written on the plastic wrapping/cup

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by icefire View Post
    sewing thread i tried to use but i dont know why they will break after a period of time... i am not sure whether the untreated tap water will harm the plants because theres still chlorine in the water... it may bleach the plant.... the auntie at c328 should be able to show you the plants provided that shes not too busy with customers..
    So I should just pour in some anti-chlorine into the pail? I was more worried that the plants might start rotting or something. And if i want to put them in a 'holding pail', should i remove the pots that they come in? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    i've used sewing thread before its easier to tie than using fishing line...by the time thread disintegrate its safe to say that by then your mosses and your nanas would have already cling on the wood...so far at C328 except for ferns so far java moss and anubias nana would be written on the plastic wrapping/cup
    Thanks Swoop, glad to know that sewing thread can be used..So far the fern, I should be able to ask the auntie?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by v_nod View Post
    So I should just pour in some anti-chlorine into the pail? I was more worried that the plants might start rotting or something. And if i want to put them in a 'holding pail', should i remove the pots that they come in? Thanks!
    if you want to plant them on wood etc remove the pots.. do not jus pour in the anti chlorine.. measure the correct quantities first... hope this helps. dont think the plants will rot if not kept in the pail for too long cause they need light too...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Bangladesh

Quote Originally Posted by v_nod View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy new plants and I would like to know if they will be alright if i kept them in untreated tap water in a pail for a few days before planting them into my tank.Also, is it advisable to use sewing thread to secure moss and plants to the driftwood?

I realise that many buy the plants at C328. Will they be able to show me the plants if I said Java Fern, Java Moss or Anubias Nana?

Thanks alot!
    Carry on......Wish you all the best.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Does that mean for moss also?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys,

Thanks alot!
    Hi! C328 plants are generally alright, but it is always a good practice to first quarantine anything new- flora or fauna. I agree with your method of keeping them in tap water but give them some sunlight if possible so as not to disrupt their photosynthesis. However, if your plants are meant for shrimp tank, then i must warn you that a longer and more thorough quarantine period will be required because 'illuminatist' (bad guys) like dragonfly nymph eggs could be potentially be hidden inside and wreck harvoc in your shrimp tank once they are hatched as your shrimps are unable to eat them but the reverse is false

As for plants identification, i'm sure the auntie or uncle will undoubtedly help you with it. all the best and this is my two cents worth!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, how long do you normally need to quarantine the plant? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by griffinkid View Post
    Hi! C328 plants are generally alright, but it is always a good practice to first quarantine anything new- flora or fauna. I agree with your method of keeping them in tap water but give them some sunlight if possible so as not to disrupt their photosynthesis. However, if your plants are meant for shrimp tank, then i must warn you that a longer and more thorough quarantine period will be required because 'illuminatist' (bad guys) like dragonfly nymph eggs could be potentially be hidden inside and wreck harvoc in your shrimp tank once they are hatched as your shrimps are unable to eat them but the reverse is false

As for plants identification, i'm sure the auntie or uncle will undoubtedly help you with it. all the best and this is my two cents worth!
    Thanks griffinkid! This is really good info!