Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Java moss stinks?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently went to Teo's and Mr Tatoo (dark skin with LOTS of tatoos, think some bros here call him Ang Kong Kia) recommended me some Java Moss when i told him i wanted something to cover up my driftwood. Wanted Riccia initially but he advised me not too cos it's darn troublesome to maintain.

Anyway, the Java Moss i got seems somewhat different from what i usually see in the Gallery here, seems 'broader' and thicker, and weirdest of all, there's this very strange smell, pretty stinky, maybe rotting plants or something like that, when i take it out of water. I have already tied it to my driftwood and it's doing ok, not dying or anything, so i dun think it's rotting really.

Dun have a digital cam so can't upload a pic, but can anyone with Java Moss tell me if this is normal? Does it have any impact on fishes and shrimps?
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are 2 kinds of moss in our gallery, namely the java moss (long stringy) and the xmas moss (very obvious Xmas tree shaped leaf)

yes, all moss comes with a smell and its normal. when they turn brownish, its a indication that they are dying, but I have some that 'came back' to life even thought it was brown

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Teo's are emersed form, so its thicker.
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.