Country
    Singapore

blyxa japonica not doing too well

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys,

a week ago, i've started on a new tank and have planted some blyxa japonica that i bought from teo. i have some other plants in the tank too like APP, stellatas, EQs, toninas etc.

the problem is, some of my blyxas are beginning to melt while the rest are doing fine.... APP slowly spreading and shows no signs of melting...

the tank is on 8hrs of lighting and is running on a constant 3bps. i've not dosed any liquid fert since it's a new tank. i've not taken other readings since the tank is currently not in my hse.

is this a common problem to blyxas in new tank conditions?? how can i salvage the rest of the blyxas? also, there are some white stuff thats 'growing' on my driftwood. anyone knows whats that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    About B.japonica, they are known to be an easy plant to grow. But I myself had problems growing them too initially. Point to note is when planting, avoid damaging the roots or stem when using tweezers.

Other than that I wouldn't know wat could be wrong as I don't know your tank parameters.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience with them is that they are quite hardy plants, althought the leaves fell off easily.
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If its only a particular few that is not doing well, while there are others that are, I would strongly recommend that you replant them. Like what Sherwin has mentioned, you may have damaged the stem node during planting and perhaps begin to rot at the base level.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I also see this problem whenever I plant or shift the position of my Blyxa. It happens not to all.

Usually it's temporarily, just like crypto rot. Since some of it are growing fine, I guess it should be OK. After sometime, you should be able to see some growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I noticed B.Japonica roots drop off easily when planting with tweezer. Also the plant has a very brittle stem, sometime when I squeezed the tweezer too hard while planting, I can actually feel the crashing of the plant stem.

Same issue with my B.Japonica. Some are growing ok, adapting to the tank while some simply started to melt and the plant had decreased in size.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't worry.

This type of plant is very fragile. When you plant it initially or shift it or even bring it back home, you may have damaged the plant. Just give it some time to adapt and recover. They will be off to go. Those leaves that are beyond repair will just drop off.

Hence, for this type of plant, we will have to be very gentle with it. Anyway, as time go by, they will become healthier.

Feedback Score
    hmm...

my japonica covers bout 40% of my 3 feet tank n is still growing []

maybe u can try planting it directly under the lights? it'll grow better that way.
    n wat fert u using?

jon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Got any base fert in there? One of my friends solved the problem by inserting Root Monsters near them. But that won't help you if it's damaged roots/stems.

Good to plant using a pair of tweezers. I usually pluck off the bottom most leaves, leaving about 1 cm of bare stem. Trim the roots to about 1.5 inches long. Grab the roots near the tips (instead of the stem) and plunge the tweezer into the substrate. If the roots are too short, leave the plant floating for a few days... the roots will grow.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do they need strong light ? mine was doing very well in my 2 ft as well ... so well that I started to give them away. But lately (2 mths ago) after unclumping them and spreading them out (they are great dirt collector!), the ends of the leaves started to die off and didn't seem to grow much.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This is the 5th times I tried planting blyxa Japonica and finally I make it. What I did was to bought a lot of them from Teo and then plant them as close together as possible and then push the plant as deep as I could until I couldn't see the stem at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/29/2003 1:53:35 PM

Don't worry.

This type of plant is very fragile. When you plant it initially or shift it or even bring it back home, you may have damaged the plant. Just give it some time to adapt and recover. They will be off to go. Those leaves that are beyond repair will just drop off.

Hence, for this type of plant, we will have to be very gentle with it. Anyway, as time go by, they will become healthier.

----------------

but the trouble is, the leaves are not dropping off, the whole plant melts away! probably the stem was damaged?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/30/2003 8:37:14 AM

Got any base fert in there? One of my friends solved the problem by inserting Root Monsters near them. But that won't help you if it's damaged roots/stems.

Good to plant using a pair of tweezers. I usually pluck off the bottom most leaves, leaving about 1 cm of bare stem. Trim the roots to about 1.5 inches long. Grab the roots near the tips (instead of the stem) and plunge the tweezer into the substrate. If the roots are too short, leave the plant floating for a few days... the roots will grow.
    ----------------
    hi vinz, i'll try your method of grabbing the roots. yes i have sera base fert...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My just keep growing and branching and within half a year from 4 to 40 bunch of them ....

Started initially with sera tablets ... later found is too wasteful because it will just grow as well without ....

My light is also low ... about 30W per 25 US gallon. And no CO2 injection.

kH / gH is about 1-2. pH about 7.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I knew that this plant becomes thicker with more branches as time go by if the conditions are satisfied. But by chance, i observed that this type of plant can actually spread through seeds. I observed it twice in my tank. It will produce a soft green casing with many black seeds within. (look like dragon fruit seeds) Actually the second time i observed this happening is yesterday. It is still floating in my tank. I thought of taking a pic of it but me don't have a digital camera.

Anyone has the same observation by chance before?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    but the trouble is, the leaves are not dropping off, the whole plant melts away! probably the stem was damaged?
    ----------------
    you damaged the whole stem?
    if not, roots will sprout from healthy section of the stem.
    maybe there is lacking nutrients.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with tawauboy. Usually, when I plant Blyxa, I never really care how I plant it, usually it's hardy and after some time, roots system and leaves will start growing, even if damaged initially. Unless it's nutrient deficiency or insufficient lighting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/31/2003 1:15:11 PM

I agree with tawauboy. Usually, when I plant Blyxa, I never really care how I plant it, usually it's hardy and after some time, roots system and leaves will start growing, even if damamged initially. Unless it's nutrient deficiency or insufficient lighting.

----------------
    it should not be the case of insufficient lighting as i'm going at about 2.8w per gallon.

maybe it could be nutrient deficiency as it is a new tank? think i'm going to get some more and try again.....

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/31/2003 12:01:29 PM

I knew that this plant becomes thicker with more branches as time go by if the conditions are satisfied. But by chance, i observed that this type of plant can actually spread through seeds. I observed it twice in my tank. It will produce a soft green casing with many black seeds within. (look like dragon fruit seeds) Actually the second time i observed this happening is yesterday. It is still floating in my tank. I thought of taking a pic of it but me don't have a digital camera.

Anyone has the same observation by chance before?
    ----------------
    thats the seed of the plant? oh, i tot it was my cardinals laying eggs, was so happy at the thought that i might have frys soon.

i just bought my blxa japonica from teo. one big packet, have to plant long time. 3 days after I planted them, one of the plant floated to the surface n I noticed these black seeds within. But I think i must not be planting them rite coz everyday or so one plant will float to the surface.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if grown in shade, blyxa will be light green and grow much slower.
    in higher light condition, leaves will be darker green with a brownish tint.

just plunge blyxa into the gravel else you will have floating blyxa.
    no worries of planting too deep.
    thomas liew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast