Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Corydoras Keepers

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any sightings of those C. sp Black Venezuelas? Think they will make good companion to my normal C. Venezuelas.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They were available awhile ago at C328. Not sure if they are still there though..
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmz, then i think i will stick to one species.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by darter View Post
    Hmmz, then i think i will stick to one species.
    I keep telling myself that but somehow I always end up with more. Did I mentioned that Corys can be addictive?

Earlier today, I found 3 clutches of blackie eggs but I've been having issues with either fertility rate or feasible eggs. IIRC, this is their 4th spawning run but I still experiencing a high percentage of fungicized eggs. OTOH, at least I get the chance to care for and raise 4 little Venezuelas. Like all Cory fry, these are also cute lil' buggers!!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by darter View Post
    Any sightings of those C. sp Black Venezuelas? Think they will make good companion to my normal C. Venezuelas.
    Try calling JZX@PetBoutique. They tend to have quite a lot of cory species.
    More than ONE fish = Fish
    More than ONE species of fish = Fishes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JZX do not have them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Though I have only some experience with Cory Sterbais, I find them the most cute and 'personal' of all Corys.

Since their eyes are so unique and distinctly visible, one can readily 'see their emotions'. It is as if they can communicate with you with their eyes alone. This is the reason why I do not fancy any other Cory variation other than the Sterbai, not even Lasers or Albinos.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Those im having also have great looking eyes! Not having the options to have more tanks at home, would love to stick to one species and see if they can breed. BUt mine very small now, max about 2cm..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

All I want is a bunch of C. oiapoquensis.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    All I want is a bunch of C. oiapoquensis.
    Haha.. Sure? Only that? No gracilis? Hrm.. Seems like people are having success with their gracilis spawns in other countries.. I'm hoping it'll come to our shores someday. On a more realistic note, I'm quite a fan of C. Caudimaculatus. I like their patterning! Didnt manage to breed them in my comm tank last time. Would love to give them their species only tank someday..
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not keen on gracilis since it requires specific care to thrive, especially in our climate. And yes, been looking forward to a return of the oiapoquensis some day. I think there's still a single C. caudimaculatus left at GC. I took one home and it is a beautiful critter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I hardly have the tank space for another species of Corydoras now. I'll have to be happy just keeping my current crop of C. Hastatus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sharing a photo of my new Cory friends.

IMG_20120523_215547.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have currently four panda cories which I have recently given them a new substrate... Seems that their feedback is "LOVIN IT"!
    Current tank : 2ft / Bogwood with plants / 7 cherry barbs / 1 C.pandas / 4 C.Sterbais / 3 C.Trillineus / 4- AFR fries ; 3 AFR adults (2 males 1 female) / 1 nerite snail

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I suppose by 'loving it' you mean you see them rummaging in the substrate.

But my view is rather different from yours. I can't bear the sight of my Corys having to dig around for their food, especially in hard stuff. It's a joy to me to see them eating to their hearts content without all the effort to dig out their food. In the wild they have no choice, and also worms reside in the substrate.

But as pets, I wouldn't want them to be roughing it up and abusing their tender bristles. I will rather have one half of my tank with substrate and the other half bare, which strictly for feeding. They will soon be parking at the bare area often, with their sad eyes asking for food.
    Quote Originally Posted by allblacks View Post
    I have currently four panda cories which I have recently given them a new substrate... Seems that their feedback is "LOVIN IT"!
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh really I read in some articles that cories like to dig around in gravel...perhaps I have misunderstood this piece of info.
    Maybe I will put a plastic container with a plant to hold it down into the floor of the tank.
    Just for my panda cories...
    Current tank : 2ft / Bogwood with plants / 7 cherry barbs / 1 C.pandas / 4 C.Sterbais / 3 C.Trillineus / 4- AFR fries ; 3 AFR adults (2 males 1 female) / 1 nerite snail

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Corydoras appreciate a fine sand substrate. However a thin layer is more than sufficient for their needs. Their barbels do not typically get hurt from gravel with sharp edges as they are fairly careful fish. What hurts them is bacteria present on the gravel. Unclean tanks can result in infections that will cause their barbels to slowly deteriorate. People have kept their Corydoras in tanks with less than smooth gravel and had no issues. The same will apply in bare bottom tanks, especially newly set-up tanks. A fine layer of bacteria will start to form on the bottom of bare tanks and this bacteria can affect the Corydoras in more than one way.

I've kept Corydoras with fine sand, quartz gravel, soil-based substrate and bare bottom tanks with little issues. However, in bare bottom tanks, while it may be easy to observe them feeding and pooping, their colors will change to a lighter form. When kept on a darker substrate they tend to become darker. My C. panda were originally lighter in color at the LFS since they were kept in a tank with fine sand, but after being kept in my soil tank, they have become much darker.

You don't have to use a plastic container when a piece of Java Fern or Anubias tied on driftwood will do.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Corydoras appreciate a fine sand substrate. However a thin layer is more than sufficient for their needs. Their barbels do not typically get hurt from gravel with sharp edges as they are fairly careful fish. What hurts them is bacteria present on the gravel. Unclean tanks can result in infections that will cause their barbels to slowly deteriorate. People have kept their Corydoras in tanks with less than smooth gravel and had no issues. The same will apply in bare bottom tanks, especially newly set-up tanks. A fine layer of bacteria will start to form on the bottom of bare tanks and this bacteria can affect the Corydoras in more than one way.

I've kept Corydoras with fine sand, quartz gravel, soil-based substrate and bare bottom tanks with little issues. However, in bare bottom tanks, while it may be easy to observe them feeding and pooping, their colors will change to a lighter form. When kept on a darker substrate they tend to become darker. My C. panda were originally lighter in color at the LFS since they were kept in a tank with fine sand, but after being kept in my soil tank, they have become much darker.

You don't have to use a plastic container when a piece of Java Fern or Anubias tied on driftwood will do.

Thank you Stormhawk for the great advice.
    Agree with your observations about the C.pandas being darker- mine used to be in a bare bottom tank and they definitely looked lighter in color then (maybe due to the reflections onto their pearl-colored bodies).

Yesterday, I managed to get driftwood and driftwood with plants (anubias included) so all went into the tank.
    Hence, my C.pandas guppies and cherry barbs are now being in the same 2ft tank with soil as base, part of tank with gravel on top of soil and the driftwood with some plants.
    C.pandas immediately went behind driftwood...so did not manage to snap them in my photos...
    this website is a great info repository for someone like me who is really new to the planted tanks setup and catching up on the research.

Thanks again...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm very curious about the plant on the left with pinkish leaves? Can you take a clearer and closer image of the plant? Somehow I don't think it's meant to be grown on the driftwood. By the way, in Corydoras tanks, there should always be an open zone where they can root about for food. If you have creeping plants that produce runners, the Corys might dig them out by accident.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh the open zone is on far right of the tank, where the gravel is. From the top view picture, it is the area with gravel. However, the C.pandas go everywhere.... but feeding area with sinking food is usually the gravel area.

I have also attached the second picture of the plant with the pinkish leaves - bought at Seaview planted into the driftwood.
    Here is a close-up of that plant. Do you think I should remove it from the driftwood and re-plant it into the soil ? It does not seemed to be doing well even with more than 12-hour LED light....

Thanks in advance !
    Attached Images Attached Images