Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Corydoras Keepers

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just looking through the earlier portions of the thread and I noticed some mention about keeping the substrate or even bare bottom healthy. How can this be achieved?

Intending to add a group of C sterbai to a metre square pond, which is currently bare bottom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My guess...

[1] C. atropersonatus (colors somewhat pale)
    [2] C. robineae
    [3] C. aeneus ????
    [4] ??? doubt if it's agassizii
    [5] C. aeneus ???? still doesn't look like a concolor ley...
    [6] juvenile C. napoensis???

Perhaps other more knowledgeable members can chip in.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm. Looking at 3 & 5 again, it does seem like C. Concolor is wrong. Their coloration should be more even across the body..

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by delhezi View Post
    Just looking through the earlier portions of the thread and I noticed some mention about keeping the substrate or even bare bottom healthy. How can this be achieved?

Intending to add a group of C sterbai to a metre square pond, which is currently bare bottom.
    Rounded substrates are better, if not sand. A bare bottom tank does not allow the Corydoras to express their natural habit of sifting through the sand to search for food.

A pond was mentioned. What kind of pond? Mud bottom? Rough? Tiled? A rough bottom would erode the barbels of Corydoras.

Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wouldn't go so far as to call it rough. In a sense it is just a large container. Either way it seems that the bacteria formed on bare bottoms cannot be regularly eliminated, so I will have to use sand anyway.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No.1 is not atropersonatus. It is something close to C. kanei.
    No.2 is definitely a robineae with stress coloration.
    No.3 and 5 are the same, and probably one of the C-numbers close to the C. elegans/napoensis group.
    No.4 is a saddlenose-type Corydoras. Possibly a C-number close to Corydoras vittatus.
    No.6 is probably CW044. This is just my guess, it could be something else.

A thin layer of sand would be best for most Corydoras. In the wild they live over all sorts of substrates, even on rough rocky stream beds, as evidenced by several videos on Youtube. It is not so much about the substrate, but rather about the bacteria that live in the substrate. If the Corydoras are in bad health, they will pick up all sorts of bugs from a detritus-filled substrate.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 19th Jan 2014 at 08:52.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just looking through the earlier portions of the thread and I noticed some mention about keeping the substrate or even bare bottom healthy. How can this be achieved? Intending to add a group of C sterbai to a metre square pond, which is currently bare bottom.
    I found that though they have big round eyes, they do not appear to be able to see anything except light. Maybe they are able to see well at night. When they are fed during the day, it appears that they are blindly groping their way around to feel (smell?) the food rather than going straight for it. They spend most of their time parking at the bottom because they can't see where they are. Though they are really cute, this kind of behaviour does not appeal to me, so I stopped keeping them.

I used a bare bottom tank (without substrate), as I wanted to give them a good life rather than let them rummage in the rough sand and hurt their tender whiskers. There's really no need to 'exercise' their barbels, since this is what domestication is - they will adapt nicely to their new 'lifestyle' in time.

Among all Corys, I find Sterbais are best as simple adorable pets because they are relatively low cost, and also do not have markings or dark colour bands that conceal their eyes. Their bright yellow 'hands' are also an attractive feature. But advanced Cory keepers will prefer more fancy breeds.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How aware are Singapore's LFS owners about corydoras secretions under stressful packaging?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Best answer is probably go to LFS operators who understand Corydoras!!

They knowing, isn't the biggest deal. You knowing, is what make things count!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

That's a very good point as a lot of them do not .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's a real pity, wanted to pick some corydoras up at the farms in the east; but it looks like I'll pay a little more and pick them up from the nearby fish store instead. How do you guys transport your cories?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I actually think most LFS pack similarly. Only a handful use higher quality packaging. Even then, that does not address the secretion due to stress. You'll probably need a huge bag/pail with a lot more water if that's of concern.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That's a real pity, wanted to pick some corydoras up at the farms in the east; but it looks like I'll pay a little more and pick them up from the nearby fish store instead. How do you guys transport your cories?
    A tip for beginners:
    When you buy Corys, or any fish for that matter, go straight home immediately after buying. Never never go window shopping with the bag of fish in hand or in your handbag.

When you reach home, never never pour the fish into your tank straight away. They may look fine and swim fine, but they can never show their internal suffering or internal damage on their faces for you to see their suffering. Always place the whole plastic bag of fish into your fish tank and let it float there for about 20 minutes. This is to equalise the water temperature in the bag. Fold the bag's top nicely down (like how guys fold up their long sleeves to their elbow). This will make the open bag float beautifully on the water. After that, with the bag still floating in the tank, replace half the bag's water with the tank water and wait for another 20 minutes. Do not pour the replaced water into your tank. Discard it. You can then transfer the fish to your tank with a soft fish net. Again, discard the bag's water.

This is only a recommended routine but your fish's health also depends on the water condition of your tank. If that is not good, the fish will also suffer. That is why it is best to first gain experience with low-cost fish before embarking having a go at costly fish like arowana, discus, goldfish, luohan, etc.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 22nd Jan 2014 at 09:20.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Corydoras Keepers

Good advise

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Very good recommendations tetrakid . Nice one ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just got six sterbai, how regularly and how much are these guys fed?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Every day, at least once. Do not miss feeding them. Best to drop in a sinking tablet or two, after lights are out, if they are in a community tank. My Corydoras get Tetrabits every day. If it's just 6 sterbai, 1 Viformo tablet or 1 Sera O-Nip tab should do the trick. Give them frozen bloodworm as a treat from time to time, or Hikari Carnivore Pellets.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using hikari carnivore pellets now. They appear to have some difficulty finding in a metre square pond. I leave it in the area with sand. Typically I leave about 6-7 of those pellets in there, but I haven't observed them eating. There are also two bristle noses and one Ropefish in there, which I believe is some competition.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yes they are competion for food .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi , guys may I know what do you guys look out for when choosing corydoras in our LFS ?