Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any sighting of Hastatus lately?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Corydoras Keepers

Havent been to GC for awhile, but they have two tanks of them the last time I visited.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have quite a lot of small white balls stuck on the inflow pipe of my Eheim Pro 3 600 these few days.Are they eggs laid by the Corydoras?

I used a toothbrush to dislodge the small white balls off the inlet pipe and they fell into the holes of my driftwood.My platies tried to eat them but it was too big for their mouths.
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just saying a quick hi to everyone. I have recently took over my dad's old tank and thought I will continue his fishy passion. Decided to keep it simple to a freshwater community tank.
    Having posting here, its obvious that corydoras has just converted another supporter in me. haha

Will be trying to upload some setup photos soon!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My simple setup. Will try to take more photos during the weekend.

Tank size: 125cm length by 60cm Height by 55cm depth (approx. 105 gallons)
    Sump filter with in-tank air pump (2 x outlets on each side of tank)

Stocklist:

CORYDORAS: 40 pcs
    5 x albino (Corydoras aeneus albino)
    6 x bronze (Corydoras aeneus)
    6 x leopard (Corydoras trilineatus)
    6 x sterbai (Corydoras sterbai)
    6 x panda (Corydoras panda)
    6 x peppered (Corydoras paleatus)
    4 x smudge spot (Corydoras similis)
    1 x gold line (Corydoras aeneus golden neon)

TETRA: 5 pcs
    2 x neon (Paracheirodon innesi)
    3 x rummy nose (Hemigrammus rhodostomus)

DWARF GOURAMI (Trichogaster lalius): 4 pcs
    1 x flame
    1 x banded
    1 x neon blue
    1 x female dwarf

LOACH: 1 pc
    1 x butterfly hillstream (Beaufortia kweichowensis)

Welcome any advises or suggestions for the newbie here!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ridestheworld; 16th Jan 2017 at 18:47. Reason: Edit Font

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am curious how are they doing after 2 months. I got 4 sterbals and 7 habrosus ( 1 died right after I brought home ) recently. And they are really cute !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

do cory sterbais do well in planted tanks with soil?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I have my C. sterbai in my planted tank. Most Cories have no issue with planted but need to provide some area for foraging.
    I would prefer long nose species in sand though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohei View Post
    do cory sterbais do well in planted tanks with soil?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys,

My pair of albino cory started to breed recently after keeping them more than 1 year... the first batch of eggs got around 50-80eggs... i left half of them in the tank and scoop the other half into a small plastic tank with a credit card (as see in youtube)...

within 1-2 days those eggs in the tank were eaten up by pond snails and shrimps... and those in the small tank grew fungus... none survived...

after less than 2 weeks... the female started to lay eggs again... this time lesser eggs... again i put half in the small tank but this time i add in some methylene blue to prevent fungus... as well as blast up the airstone... this time got less fungus but after 3 days i still dun see any hatching... as usual those in the tank were quickly eaten except for those eggs that is under the wave maker... i guess the current there is too strong for shrimps to get near...

how can i increase the hatch rate of the eggs... am i doing it right using a credit card to scrape off the eggs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Likely those eggs are not fertile. Yet seen shrimp and snail will attack Cory eggs in all my successful hatching. Frys do get eaten by mid swimming fish easily.

Stop using card to extract. Usually finger after an hour of laying to let it harden.

Quote Originally Posted by ryangiggs View Post
    Hi guys,

My pair of albino cory started to breed recently after keeping them more than 1 year... the first batch of eggs got around 50-80eggs... i left half of them in the tank and scoop the other half into a small plastic tank with a credit card (as see in youtube)...

within 1-2 days those eggs in the tank were eaten up by pond snails and shrimps... and those in the small tank grew fungus... none survived...

after less than 2 weeks... the female started to lay eggs again... this time lesser eggs... again i put half in the small tank but this time i add in some methylene blue to prevent fungus... as well as blast up the airstone... this time got less fungus but after 3 days i still dun see any hatching... as usual those in the tank were quickly eaten except for those eggs that is under the wave maker... i guess the current there is too strong for shrimps to get near...

how can i increase the hatch rate of the eggs... am i doing it right using a credit card to scrape off the eggs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for answering...

i read from somewhere that the eggs are usually fertilized before the female attached them on the glass... how to know whether the eggs are fertilized or not?

Is there a better way to extract the eggs? I find that those eggs that i touched with fingers usually develop fungus first... despite i washed my hands thoroughly before handling them... i might be wrong though...

Maybe next time when the female start spawning... i put her in a breeder box to lay eggs first... to minimize handling the eggs too much... just dun know whether the female will lay eggs if i enclose it in a small breeder box...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They will mate but usually the first few spawns are bad especially inexperience ones. haha

Let the egg harden, then roll them with your finger. If you find it hard to roll, wait longer. I have been doing this for ages.

Alternatively,

Your next problem maybe feeding the frys that only eat live food small enough for their mouth. Some people rather leave them in the main tank and you may see few survived. So no rolling needed. :P

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by ryangiggs View Post
    thanks for answering...

i read from somewhere that the eggs are usually fertilized before the female attached them on the glass... how to know whether the eggs are fertilized or not?

Is there a better way to extract the eggs? I find that those eggs that i touched with fingers usually develop fungus first... despite i washed my hands thoroughly before handling them... i might be wrong though...

Maybe next time when the female start spawning... i put her in a breeder box to lay eggs first... to minimize handling the eggs too much... just dun know whether the female will lay eggs if i enclose it in a small breeder box...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hahaa... noted... yah perhaps those eggs are unfertilized due to inexperience parents...

Thanks for all the tips... will continue to monitor...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just an update...

To my surprise... the smaller and more streamlined cory that i always thought is a male... turned out to be a female!!! I witness it holding the eggs at the hind fins and releasing it on the glass... and not long after that... the bigger and less streamlined cory which i always thought is a female came up to eat some of the eggs... So now i am unsure if both are females?

So far after abt 5 spawns... non of the eggs hatched...

Will 2 females spawn eggs? Is it that once the female reached maturity it will release eggs irregardless whether there are a male in the tank or not?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting. A check in the web seems such event may happens. I often have enough corydoras population size and mix ,so never really observe such. Most of my eggs are fertile.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok... confirmed the 2 cory are females... i saw the bigger cory releasing eggs today... so meaning all these eggs will not be fertilized... seems like these eggs are destined to be shrimps and snails food...

sad...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Time to get more corydorus ! ��

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all! Used to kept a lot and even met up with some Cory lovers about 10over years ago. Back into this hobby with a different setup but still find the Corys awesome. and it's the 2nd specie I bought for the new tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here's my tank taken last year20180311_2FT_04.jpg
    Cory

My Aquarium Blog corydorus.blogspot.sg

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031