1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Using Seachem excel for BBA

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just to share that my tank is having BBA outbreak currently and per Mr chan's (from NA) recommendation to use double dosage for Excel for 3 days now and it works! BBA turned red and I'm waiting to see if they will turn white and die off. My SAE and yamatos are starting to feast on the dying BBA

I think the trigger was my Co2 level which dropped due to CO2 tank almost empty. Topped up and blast it to 30 ppm now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Using Seachem excel for BBA

Btw, please note not to overdo it. I double dosed again the next day and all my shrimps and fishes were staying at the water surface and breathing very heavily. A few casulties as well Luckily, after partial water change, they survived

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem Excel only last 24 hours before it dissipates, just make sure you dose next after 24 hours.

Quote from Seachem FAQ website
    Q: Is it better to add Flourish Excel at night or in the morning based upon plant carbon uptake physiology?

A: Carbon intake is a function of photosynthesis. Based on this, it would be ideal to dose Flourish Excel during the day. But given that Flourish Excel can stay complexed as a carbon source for up to 24 hours before it dissipates, you can dose at any time of the day and the product will be available for the next 24 hours. Flourish Excel is not carbon dioxide and there is no impact on pH using Flourish Excel.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

after its cleared will there be left over chem left by it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've been overdosing my "daily" (not the after waterchange) dose of 2.5ml per 100L by 8 times (i.e 20ml per day) and did not suffer any deaths (CRS, Fire reds and otto). Except the algae of course...they're really suffering, almost wiped out.

For those with smaller tank volume, the toxic dose seemed to be smaller...even though the concentration is the same...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

smaller tank, toxic smaller? isn't it suppose to be another way round?

Guess i should give it a go too

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem excel for BBA is well known and well documented if you do a search in this forum. Be very careful if you have painted red, CRS, king kong and etc. One wrong dose = $ fly fly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro Shadow, thanks for the info but I think only the Carbon portion dissipate? Does the other component against algae, i.e. Glutaraldehyde dissipate as well within 24 hours? I still seeing BBA dying despite after not adding anymore yesterday (after 24 hours since last dose). Maybe, I will try adding double daily doses just in case to make sure BBA are killed

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Seachem Excel only last 24 hours before it dissipates, just make sure you dose next after 24 hours.

Quote from Seachem FAQ website

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi since this thread is abt seachem excel, pardon my ignorance as i'm kinda new to planted tank. i currently have a small tank with nana and java fern. i still need to dose abit of excel in too rite as the plant require their necessary intake of carbon?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by JizzHut View Post
    smaller tank, toxic smaller? isn't it suppose to be another way round?

Guess i should give it a go too
    Apologies for the unclear message.
    I had meant to imply that if the tank volume is smaller, excel may seemed to be more toxic although the overdose dosage dilution is about the same. I have no data to back this up but some folks reported livestock loss at 3-5 times overdosage. I'm throwing in 8 times overdose (20ml) daily in a 100L tank after lights off. Could also be the large filters (2078+L size Atman HOF), the old sea mud powder or high rate of uptake from hornworts, but the excel seemed to disappear after killing the algae it was squirted on.

But I got worried after doing this for almost a month as a few tiny remaining stubborn BBA clumps seemed to be getting resistant, so I halved the excel dose and replaced it with H2O2. Now the BBA have to deal with both reducing and oxidizing damage & it totally wiped them out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

i re read my post again and it seem to be a bit rude, no offence bro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    Bro Shadow, thanks for the info but I think only the Carbon portion dissipate? Does the other component against algae, i.e. Glutaraldehyde dissipate as well within 24 hours? I still seeing BBA dying despite after not adding anymore yesterday (after 24 hours since last dose). Maybe, I will try adding double daily doses just in case to make sure BBA are killed
    Glutaraldehyde (CH2(CH2CHO)2) is the carbon component and also strong disinfectant in high concentration. The algae probably disinfected when it is in contact with the compound. You can asked seachem customer support for further question, they are pretty helpful.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by JizzHut View Post
    i re read my post again and it seem to be a bit rude, no offence bro
    None taken bro

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Glutaraldehyde (CH2(CH2CHO)2) is the carbon component and also strong disinfectant in high concentration. The algae probably disinfected when it is in contact with the compound. You can asked seachem customer support for further question, they are pretty helpful.
    Hehe, Seachem is very secretive when asked about this because they are not supposed to market Excel as an algaecide due to federal regulations. I've googled it to death and the best they've said is that this is a "side effect" dued to Excel's reducing ability

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From the Seachem FAQ site:

Q: When I first dosed my tank with all the Flourish products I was experienceing quite a bit of hair alage. Within three days the hair alage had turned a reddish orange and about four days after that it had completely disappeared. Do you have any idea just which of these products could have caused this? I must admit that I have never seen such a dramatic change with the alage when I first used the Flourish products, and I would really like to be able to repeat the experience when ever the alage re-appears.

A: This is a known side effect of Flourish Excel that may sometimes occur. It has been reported to us by other consumers, however it does not occur under all conditions therefore we do not promote it or sell it for that purpose.
    If you have technical question, just ask them. They may secretive as Navanod said but just give it a try, it is just an email away
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, just an update that BBA in my tank turned white and disappearing fast. I believe my algae crew is having a good feast on them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    Hi all, just an update that BBA in my tank turned white and disappearing fast. I believe my algae crew is having a good feast on them.
    Thats excellent news bro.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

see any downside? fish still healthy? plants? good shape?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fishes and shrimps seem no effects and plants looks even healthy, even my nana seems to have lesser green spot algae especially the new ones looks shiny! Think I will dose excel as part of my fertilisation routine from now on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

hmm as a routine? i dont know. for me, i like to keep my tank chem free as possible. its always to better to drink plain water than coloured water right?

2cents

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

different hobyist have different priority. Some prefered the flora, others prefered the fauna.
    -Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast