Images
    Country
    Singapore

please ID this Rasbora

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, this Rasbora came in as a contaminant, can any one ID it? Thanx much.

hint: it is not a Rasbora agilis

this one is the Rasbora agilis

and this one is Rasbora pauciperforata btw all from Biotope.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ???
    This looks so much like a Siamese Algae Eater to me... but then again i can't ID fishes for nuts []
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

but then again i can't ID fishes for nuts []
    ----------------
    geez, I'd have to agree absolutely. The SAE is not even a Rasbora [:0] One of the defining trait of a Rasbora is that it has no barbels [:]

one advise darkkon, if you have to buy SAE, find someone in AQ to go with you
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advise my SAE happy enough already on its own, though it's always bullied by the Chinese Algae Eater. Anyway the fish you wanted to ID should be:

Parluciosoma cephalotaenia - Porthole Rasbora

And the pic can be found at

http://fnp_rasbora.tripod.com/rasbor...lerasbora3.jpg

Dunno the same anot lah sure looks the same to me!
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm… looks quite different. the specimen has a solid stripe, the pothole rasbora has "broken stripe" anyway the fin shapes quite different. this specimen actually look very much like the R. agilis and R. pauciperforata in shape except the stripe colours are different.

anyway most of the Parluciosoma species reclassified under Rasbora.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    yo..care to explain the difference between the one in the pic and the Rasbora agilis? Why so sure it's not an agilis? you mean this fish came along with another group of fish that is from totally different place where agilis is not described from there?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/2/2003 9:51:22 PM

yo..care to explain the difference between the one in the pic and the Rasbora agilis? Why so sure it's not an agilis? you mean this fish came along with another group of fish that is from totally different place where agilis is not described from there?
    ----------------
    MrTree, this fish was found in a tank in Biotope, you know how they jump from tank to tank, so we thought initially this is one of the R. agilis, but on closer look we decided it is quite different, although very similar.

I added the R. agilis for comparisons.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    ok..after seeing the new picture you've uploaded, yeah, these two are different fish.

IMO

first one is Rasbora agilis(looks exactly as my reference), and this is the agilis i always refering to. I konw this fish too, charles told me it's a agilis too.

second one is a golden Rasbora pauciperforata(not all would turn orange nicely). the coloration of the scale is different, it does not have the clear black band below the gold line too,

cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    MrTree, you're forcing me to put more and more pics!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    yeah, third picture is a rasbora pauciperforata.

Ok..have you ever seen Rasbora pauciperforata from other LFS(like TB, TPY 69 or wherever), these place do not have good water condition(not as good as biotop). The fish are not showing the orange color andlook exactly same as the second picture. I had this fish in my tank for a few months, but they didn't show the orange, but they did in my friend's tank.
    From the same batch of pauciperforata, can still find some are showing the orange color(looks exactly same as the third pic).

Maybe you can ask this somewhere else? Maybe RVA forum.

All my japanese reference is showing the fish in the first pic as agilis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this is very weird right? all three fishes were from Biotope so presumably same wholesaler. Charles took in shipments of the second and third fish, but only one of the first were mixed in as contaminant. I had both the second and third fish in my tank for a long time now, they stayed as they were. I have since given my R. agilis to Peter Chua so I'll check and see how they're doing, but it'd be strange for a large number of the second and third fish (which you say are variants of R. pauciperforata) to keep such distinct coloration and also they never school together in my tank! []

However, perhaps it'd be a good idea to check with Sasaki-san (RVA) but he is on a collecting trip. I also met one of his customer who is a rasbora-maniac, will check with him too as soon as I find his email address.

…the mystery… any other conjectures?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    btw MrTree, which reference are you using?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    I am using a few Japanese publications.

Rasbora pauciperforata's "red" line depends on the fish's condition.

agilis has very clear black band running from head to tail, which is not seen in the second one.

Rasnbora agilis from internet.
    http://axelrodi.cool.ne.jp/photo_rb/photo_09.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanx for the pic. Actually my fish 2 looks like the pic you posted (I make a link here)

(this pic reference by MrTree, from http://axelrodi.cool.ne.jp)

just that in my pic the black line is very pale, it is much more evident in the actual fish. With both fish 2 and 3 in my tank, I can swear they are different. I may be visiting Peter Chua soon, see whether can get a better pic of the supposed R. agilis.

When we were at biotope, we were also initially confused by fish 1, thinking it is a darker variant of fish 2. Only after I persuaded Charles to catch it and put it in the planted tank did it become clear they look pretty different. Can you be a good sport and flip your reference a bit more see whether there is anything that looks more like fish 1?

BTW, did you see my previous question about the Danio kyathit? any comments there?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    I see...I couldn't find anything similar and, also couldn't see the difference, that's why I asked about the difference in my first post in this thread.

Nope, I didn't see the thread. There are some big danios(some are 10 cm) at Chong Sua right now. Worth it to take a look. In my reference, it's still not described. The reference plays safe, call it "cyprinidae sp". My closer look..think it's Brachydanio spp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually I thought Fish 1 looks like R. dusonensis but don't have a really reliable reference.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Brittan's book notes R. gracilis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I checked FishBase, looks like you're right budak.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Guys, sorry for barging in.
    I see there are some confusion here. I have been confused myself about this fish (first pic) for ages. I got a small shoal of it for almost a year but still can't find the exact ID. The R pauciperforata in my tank show both yellow and orange stripe although the came from the same stream.Yes, I caught them on my own. Got the R pauciperforata from Besut, Terengganu. The "unknown" rasboras were collected in Setiu and Dungun (together with Rasbora bankanensis). I'm residing in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia and here fishes other than Flower-horns are hard to come by. So, most of mine are wild caught. I also got a mouth-brooding Betta spp. which need ID (?waseri). How can I do that? (just join in yesterday)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/13/2003 2:05:11 AM

Guys, sorry for barging in.
    I see there are some confusion here. I have been confused myself about this fish (first pic) for ages. I got a small shoal of it for almost a year but still can't find the exact ID. The R pauciperforata in my tank show both yellow and orange stripe although the came from the same stream.Yes, I caught them on my own. Got the R pauciperforata from Besut, Terengganu. The "unknown" rasboras were collected in Setiu and Dungun (together with Rasbora bankanensis). I'm residing in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia and here fishes other than Flower-horns are hard to come by. So, most of mine are wild caught. I also got a mouth-brooding Betta spp. which need ID (?waseri). How can I do that? (just join in yesterday)
    ----------------
    ZaZ! Welcome to the forum. I am so glad that even in Kuala Terrengganu you have managed to become proficient in your fishes, given that books and other references would be rather hard to come by. The good thing however is you can always go out and catch some for yourself. You need to make sure those darn flower horns never make it into the forest longkangs.

BTW I can't find Besut and Setiu in my encarta atlas.

Do you have a digital camera? well actually a film will do too but cost $$ to process and takes ages to get the results. I normally get 5-10% select rate when taking fish photos. Take a pic and post it here (or you can send to me by email, see below) and we can all have a go at ID. Do take some pics of the biotope where you got these fishes too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast