Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Floating Plants and Surface Agitation?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Floating Plants and Surface Agitation?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi!

A month back or so, I bought some Salvinia from SeaView, thinking that it will at least survive in my tank with approximately 1.8WPG lighting. However, it didn't last at all and began dying within a week. Smaller, hairless versions were being produced, though these didn't grow at all after I detached them from the parent plants. An online website mentioned that Salvinia cannot tolerate surface agitation.

For my tank, surface agitation isn't strong but is capable of pushing floating plants to the other end of the tank and keep it there. It will be hard for me to turn down the surface agitation as the powerhead does not have a mechanism for controlling flow rate. I am also reluctant to not have any surface agitation unless a current set up by an internal filter that doesn't really break the surface is able to provide sufficient gaseous exchange. I am trying to keep dissolved oxygen levels high as I am currently keeping Otocinclus in the tank.

So, the main question is: is there any floating plant that can tolerate some surface agitation? Or should I turn down the surface agitation to accommodate floating plants? I am willing to try the latter if most of you agree that the current set up by an internal filter is able to provide adequate oxygen levels for fish that inhabit oxygen-rich waters in the wild.

I wanted to try duckweed, but am hesitant as the amount sold by SeaView is ample and I'm afraid that a die-off due to duckweed being intolerant to surface agitation would adversely affect the current tank inhabitants (red cherry shrimps and Otocinclus).

I hope that I have given sufficient details for you guys to help me out with this one. I would like to have floating plants since the fish I intend to keep prefer subdued lighting. Of course, the added benefit of floating plants being heavy nutrient feeders would come in handy since I can use them as an alternative to culturing bacteria colonies when adding new stock.

Thanks in advance!

-faithful

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Floating Plants and Surface Agitation?

Hi Bro, I has duckweed on 2 ft tank with 600 L/hr HOF (imagine the surface agitation it created), but i didn't have any problem for about 4 months until I decided to take them out as they blocked the light. I guess most floating plants dont want agitation, but I guess duckweed is one of the hardest floater!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey apisto31, thanks for telling me that! I would be sure to try duckweed out - probably by this weekend.

I was just wondering whether you have luck with any other floating plants especially Water Lettuce and/or Amazon Frogbit? From what I understand, these have long roots which will trail downwards towards the bottom. I think the long roots will provide security for my fishes as this tank is relatively bare with mainly all the plants planted on one side.

I'm hoping that the additional flora and subdued lighting will calm future inhabitants, luring them to come out in the open more often.

-faithful

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Amazon Frogbits are by far the floating plant of choice. I don't recall my frogbits having issues with surface agitation, as long as it is kept to a minimum if possible. If you have problems growing your floaters, you can always use styrofoam pieces cut to cordon off an area of the water surface so these floaters can grow without any issues. At times they melt because they are adapting to your tank conditions. Frogbit however, is a very tough plant.

You do not want to use duckweed because if left unchecked, they will form a dense mat over the water surface, and thus choking light from plants below it. Plus, it being small means it will stick to your hands and plant tongs whenever you're doing tank maintenance.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure whether SeaView sells Amazon Frogbits, but I'll be sure to look for it. Any idea where sells Amazon Frogbits? The recent giveaways in the "Selling/Giving" sub-forum are located too far away from me.

I don't think I'll be cordoning an area off my tank. Aesthetics will be compromised and I think the styrofoam pieces will make maintenance slightly more troublesome. Good suggestion, though! I'll probably just turn down the surface agitation.

I will still be buying duckweed to allow for silent cycling in this tank when I add new stock. I'll be sure to make sure that the duckweed doesn't form too thick a mat so that some gaseous exchange is still possible. The reduced lighting due to duckweed should be alright since plants in my tank mainly require little light.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just be aware that your surface plants will probably congregate in the corners of your tank and provide perfect landing and breeding places for mosquitoes. If it's a fish tank it shouldn't have a problem. But I faced this issue when I had to use surface plants for my CRS tank.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wolfgangs246, thanks for the advice!

I'll be housing Corydoras Pygmaeus. Not sure if these non-surface feeders would help prevent such things from happening. But if it doesn't, I'll probably purchase some Rasboras to help out.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi there if u would like to get duckweed/frogbits or even hornworts you could contact me@ 92297057 or view my tanks @http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...s-vincent-here

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi ilubit, thank you for the offer. My main concern is collection as I do not intend to travel too much to save on something that can be bought at a relatively cheap price. I'll pm you soon.