Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Comments about product: ISTA Algae Remover?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Comments about product: ISTA Algae Remover?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Recently the uncle at NA recommended me this product called Algae Remover by ISTA from Tzong Yang. He said that it's very effective in removing hair algae and commented that it would not harm shrimp. There isn't a contents table on the bottle so I can't confirm if there are any harmful chemicals or metals in the solution.

I'm just looking for any one here who might have used it before and if you can verify I'm not about to dump a capful of poison into my precious shrimp tank.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Comments about product: ISTA Algae Remover?

If in doubt, do not use it. There are far easier methods with lesser repercussions than to use a chemical "cure" with no listed active ingredients. Read this Blog by Dusko Bojic. It is an excellent reference link for hobbyists who want an easy explanation with simple cures for their algae woes.

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It could be just another gimmick... a chemical specifically designed to deal with only green filamentous algae.... I doubt so... it is like saying... this poison only work on rats... but perfectly safe for cats and dogs...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your feedback guys, I'm currently dealing with a SERIOUS problem with Claud algae and it's been instigating me to take the fight to a new level. The uncle also commented that he's tried it himself on CRS tanks with no issues and it was recommended by others. Despite that I do have reservations about the chemicals so I'll refer to Stormhawks link and try and combat the *bleep*ing algae that way.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I had problems with hair algae too. They were introduced into my 4ft tank after I had a Marimo ball. Needless to say, I tried to combat it with manual removal and other methods, but never with chemicals. Now it's almost gone from my tank after I had an outbreak of staghorn algae. Somehow the two algae out-competed each other and died off after I manually removed most of the staghorn algae.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys. After removing all the HC from the tank and retying some flame moss to new decor, I very nearly poisoned my entire tank by introducing a piece of bogwood/driftwood which apparently contained some kind of pesticide. Within hours of the introduction, a panda cory died and within 24 hours all the shrimp were acting sluggish and trying to climb out of the water.

I admit it was a newbie mistake cause I had assumed that because the wood wasn't discoloring the water and because it was now sinking on it's own, it would be fine to introduce it to the tank. But dang. . . . now I'm paranoid about it. Should I boil all the pieces?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You should if you are having doubts. Some of the yellowish branchy pieces are from an unknown source. At times they are not fully dry and may still have some sap inside. This sap can be lethal to some aquatic animals. I doubt it is pesticide residue, but the sap. I remember someone once telling me about this, because he/she bought some driftwood and they were oozing some kinda of slime, which was probably leftover tree sap. Personally, I only buy those driftwood that are dark in color, or are already in a tank at the LFS with no apparent issues with the livestock in the same tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah the new piece that I introduced was this yellow colored type, very bendy branches. Looked like those old wooden antiques that seem to be made out of twisting wood. Bloody stupid thing nearly killed all my shrimp. Or I did. Depending on how you look at it. Now soaking all new purchases in clean water. Taking no chances, will boil the sucker this weekend. Rassum frassum. Good thing I didn't intro one to my CRS tank. Can't imagine my pain if all my BDS and CRS went

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

BTW thanks for the post about the algae blog. Very insightful!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nice blog thanks, any resources on the types of plant suitable for different set-up?
    Lets put a smile on that face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not that I know of. You can refer to the Tropica site for fact files on certain plants that they grow, and their requirements. Or be like me and just keep cheap and hardy plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so many years into the hobby i still can't make a beautiful landscape. by the way, where do you guys buy plants from? i tried colorful, c328, can't manage to find teo. should i try again?
    Lets put a smile on that face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Teo's farm is more for those with a car or bike or some form of transport. Out of the way for me so I just get my plants from C328/Green Chapter/Polyart. Now that Colourful Aquarium is moving near to West Coast Plaza, I'll probably go there for plants as well.