1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with Shrimp tank setup.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    you might want to use my tank as a reference, its slightly larger in base area but shorter than yours. its 44x29x30cm = 10gallon/38litres. i have 3 otos and they are doing fine swimming and looking for food together often. the interesting part is i have a plant with 3 leaves and they each rest on one.

as expected, the water flow from the rainbar creates alot of waves. but for a tall tank like yours, it should be fine and like you said the height could be adjusted to reduce the splash.
    my 100 gallon tank:
    - 23 blood parrots
    - 2 high-fin plecostomus
    my 10 gallon shrimp tank:
    - sakura, cherry, malaya, orange, snowball, tiger, bamboo
    - 3 otocinclus, 3 assassin snails

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

where can i view your tank as reference?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ohh.. i mean the size.. haven't really taken a nice photo of it as its still under renovation. just changed my rainbar to a HOF so i had to rearrange the moss. will let you have a look when i'm about done
    my 100 gallon tank:
    - 23 blood parrots
    - 2 high-fin plecostomus
    my 10 gallon shrimp tank:
    - sakura, cherry, malaya, orange, snowball, tiger, bamboo
    - 3 otocinclus, 3 assassin snails

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would go for ADA. Currently using gex but i still prefer ADA as ADA has better nutrients that your plants require and also the PH will be just nice for your shrimps (if you are planning to go for CRS in future).
    I saw in your previous post that cory is in your buy list, read up more on cory before getting them as they like to dig into the soil which could cause ammonia spike and also dig up plants. Also i dont think they are as efficient as sae and ottos.

JUst my 2 cents worth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

ADA most breeders used. hmm the key is to cycle your tank. it last longer, in my opinion..
    GEX is good, will stable your pH and water parameter faster than most brand.. clear water can be achieved in one day..

may be bro eviltrain can explain as he used them before

for me, when keeping shrimps, moss on wood or mess is good enough. Simple but beautiful

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i bought something called Concept Soil by aquaticstyle or something.

i pour in water, i dare say less than 30 minutes later, water is clear. in fact, browny water only occured to minimal extent.

im planning for a 4ft now, which i will proceed on, after i successfully set up this 1.25ft tank.

hmm my soil is rather thick now, will it still be able to uproot them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

(1) not sure though, i just started using Gex
    (2) Ghost shrimp or glass shrimp, i have them too. They always attack my guppies.
    (3) I read from somewhere that it needs brackish(correct spelling?) for them to turn into shrimplets, but if you're lucky, they might.
    Victory loves preparation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

yes you are right, according to this website.

http://www.planetinverts.com/ghost_g...ss_shrimp.html

i got 4 with eggs already. green as the link says.

its also cheap, as the link confirms too.

i have guppy and neon tetra and cherry barbs in same tank too, and they live well so far.

1. have u heard of sponge filters?

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...147#post568147

is it recommended?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think it wouldn't be recommended as it wouldn't be strong or good enough to keep your water clean. Get HOF? It's pretty good.
    Victory loves preparation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

what is HOF? ive been seeing it around and i googled it, but failed to get the definitions, only got links to people saying "HOF".

1. is keeping the ghost/glass shrimp okay? or should i start off with a more decent shrimp?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 3inone View Post
    what is HOF? ive been seeing it around and i googled it, but failed to get the definitions, only got links to people saying "HOF".

1. is keeping the ghost/glass shrimp okay? or should i start off with a more decent shrimp?
    HOF = Hang On Filter
    I bought quite a good one recently. Brand is GEX Hang On Filter... comes in 3 sizes from Small, Medium & Large..

Actually you should plan which is the shrimps you planning to keep before you put in... If you are going for CRS kind of shrimps, then I would suggest you check all perimeters with liquid test kits before you put in your CRS.. If you have ghost shrimps or any other kind of shrimps inside other then CRS, it might be a problem with them attacking each other or snatching food.. (anyway my CRS also snatches food from other CRS.. they pick and run... haha..)

As for the quote about ADA2 soil clouds water.. for my case, it doesnt really clouds water and is very clear even after i fill up my tank to the top..

You can try refer to my tank set up in AQUASCAPING section.
    Have fun!!
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

it very much depends on how you introduce the water into a newly set up tank that will stir up the sediments. Both gex and ada are fine although i feel that ada tends to hold its shape better.
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi ^^
    regarding the setup, i would reccomend changing the filter to a canister filter if your pocket is deep enough ^^
    1) Canister filters tend to be able to hold a larger media mass thus more area for bacteria to grow on
    2) Your current filter is creating too much aeration caused by the filter output. (too much air circulation due to surface disturbance). Because of aeration, the rate of gas exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide increases, thus co2 is being driven out faster resulting in less co2 for plants, thus the current filter setup is not very suitable for plants.
    3)Canister filters take up very little space in the tank and can remain 'hidden' thus allowing more space for scaping and increasing aesthetics of the tank.

ADA and GEX both will cloud the water, but how long will depend on how much you disturb the soil at the beginning. I had a new set up where the ADA soil clouding sleared within a few hours. Personally i would reccomend ADA amazonia II.

If you are concerned about the pros and cons of both soils. I think ADA would last longer in terms of its ph buffer ability and nutrient level. But both of these in both soils will run out eventually and will have to be replaced manually overtime. Cannot comment on aquatic concept soil.
    Note: ADA has several types of soil and for different purposes. You could go with the entire ADA system which includes ADA power, Amazonia and maybe powder. Or just plan Amazonia.

Uhmmm if you want someone to help you out. you could pm me. I am a student as well. ^^
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i changed to a canister filter liao. dam excited. splurged on it. now hunting for a tank with cabinet.

what should i be looking out for in such an item, especially when im fishing for 2nd hand ones.

if u dont mind, can sms me at 8 222 58 98. im 19
    Moved on from plants to predatory fishes, but still finding for inspiration for a 3ft planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

good luck w yr setup bro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12