Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Identify a fish

Feedback Score

Identify a fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    yeah, I know I shouldn't buy a fish the shop don't know what is, and I don't
    know what is, but they were pretty

Anybody know what it is?

http://public.questus.dyndns.org/identify.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the coral-red pencilfish Nannostomus mortenthaleri. where did you get it from?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Indeed it is! I've asked quite a few places, but didn't find a person in the knowhow before now Thank you!

I got it in Norway, in a reputable shop, so I was quite surprised they didn't know what it was they had in the tank. It looks as though it's a fairly peaceful fish that will feel quite comfortable in my tank - I hope.

My tank is "tank1" on this url: http://fishgeeks.com/modules.php?set...amp;amp;page=6

Do you have a gallery here where I can have a look at the other members tanks?

McEve

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    First of all let me bid you welcome on behalf of the moderators and the community. You can have a look at member tanks under MyTanks listed at the top bar. Plants and fish gallery is also there. More exotic fish pics can also be found under my signature and other members' homepages.

I am surprised you have difficulty with the coral red pencilfish as it has been widely publicised, and appear to be not that uncommon, although prices are still outrageously high. I hear from the others who have bought this fish in Singapore that they are slightly different in behaviour compared with other pencilfish, they appear to be some what territorial. You can do a search in this forum for previous discussions.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Eerr..These are not Coral Red Pencil, Nannostomus marginatus mortenthaleri. These are so called "Purple Pencil fish", still not a described species, Nannostomus sp. The easiest difference to ID is the dorsal fin and caudal fin. Where purple pencil has the red color at the joint of body and the fin compare to Coral red has the reddish color at the tip of it's dorsal fin. And the two black strip across the body of purple pencil would reach it's caudal fin. Coral's wouldn't. And of course the color difference, coral red would turn totally red. Purple pencil is a new compare to coral red, and the price is slightly higher than coral red too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heh, I thought they're variants of the standard mortenthaleri. for that matter I don't think they should be class as a subspecies of marginatus, they look and behave far too differently from marginatus, however I am not an ichthyologist so []

Feedback Score
    Thank you hwchoy!

My fish might be rare? how exciting [] I paid $5 each for them.. I think I might go back and get some more now - I got 5 of them, but suspect they would be happier being 10?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    MrTree, aren't going to get that red-spotted goby that came in today??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    $5! even USD I'd say get MORE! []

Feedback Score
    US $5, you think that's cheap? If it is, I hope they won't have found out what it is they have by the time I get back to the shop then

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the regular coral reds were going for US$10-15 in Singapore. although the fish comes from Peru, but traditionally fishes has always been much cheaper in Singapore as it is a transit centre. e.g. how much does regualr cardinal tetra cost in US? In Singapore they are about US$0.50, considering that they are caught in the Amazon and shipped all the way here!

Feedback Score
    A cardinal tetra would cost - depending on it's size from $2 up to 5 or 6. These are not prices in the US though, it's in Norway, where I reside.

I wouldn't have bought the fish, no matter how pretty they are, at the size they are, for $10 each

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so there you have it, if cardinal cost $2, then you could look at $20 for the coral red, and perhaps more for the purple

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Coral red pencil, Nannostomus marginatus mortenthaleri was the sci name published in a German publication in May 2002. I forgot the name of the publication though..

Yeah, if the size is small enough I will get one. You going ??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/12/2003 10:17:05 AM

Coral red pencil, Nannostomus marginatus mortenthaleri was the sci name published in a German publication in May 2002. I forgot the name of the publication though..

Yeah, if the size is small enough I will get one. You going ??
    ----------------
    can't always believe what these guys write until you see a name reference and citation.

you go and get, feed it nicely we come and exercise Benny's triple flash

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    aiya, even professionals would make mistake..so as for the time being, I would stick to this sci name. Remember the badis spp were once CICHLID nia.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Errr...saw the goby liao...I kept two times before, very hardy fish, but wouldn't grow big. Very greedy fish too, so I gave all of them away, but i can get it back anytime. A LFS nearby selling this goby @ 6 bucks...and something is wrong about the price. The price of fish had been very constant, and stayed at 2, 3 bucks.