Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: New tank setup: need opinions/suggestions!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

New tank setup: need opinions/suggestions!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi people, Im starting on a small mission to decorate my 1.25ft tank. Its small, i dont have much space to play with. but will make the most of it. I will treat this as a logbook to record what i do to my tank, so as to receive opinions. Heres some pict of my tank at current state.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its a tank by a brand called Colorful. Calculated about 60 Litres. Currently I put in some soil inside. Notice the back area is higher than the fore ground. Heres my plan using Paint. please advise if anything is wrong. Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us

brown = wood light green = small grass green = moss light purple = stones. and yes, i intend to have part of the wood inside of the soil. is this feasible?
    Last edited by 3inone; 23rd Nov 2010 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    -1 (33%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have this tankset by colorful too.. It has two light bulb right? 1 white,1 blue..correct? Best to change both to white for planted tank.if I'm correct, as someone advised me last time..
    To be a Rock & not to Roll..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New tank setup: need opinions/suggestions!

hi saiberg,

2 white better than 1 blue 1 white? but i kinda like the blue like leh. any one can verify if its really better as 2 white?

what do you think of this tank set?

currently my likes:

continuous curved front glass, 2 color lights 8w T5, affordable and hassle free for a newbie like me(no need buy filter/light etc etc), and overflow by top filter i like too.

my dislikes:

rather noisy "engine", looks a bit kiddy, plastic a bit flabby

so how can i improve it? change lightbulb/filter?

Feedback Score
    -1 (33%)
    Country
    Singapore
    What I don't like last time was the top filter & cover.. As it was used for my shrimp last time, I couldn't put a fan.. In the end I took off the cover & replaced with a hang on filter n a higher wattage lightset & install a fan. The filter flow output rainbar is a bit strong too my liking..unless your water level high.. For a beginner it's ok, but soon you will outgrow the tankset & get a normal tank like me.. regarding blue light, I think blue is meant for marine.. You have to ask some senior for their opinion.
    To be a Rock & not to Roll..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 3inone View Post
    hi saiberg,

2 white better than 1 blue 1 white? but i kinda like the blue like leh. any one can verify if its really better as 2 white?

what do you think of this tank set?

currently my likes:

continuous curved front glass, 2 color lights 8w T5, affordable and hassle free for a newbie like me(no need buy filter/light etc etc), and overflow by top filter i like too.

my dislikes:

rather noisy "engine", looks a bit kiddy, plastic a bit flabby

so how can i improve it? change lightbulb/filter?
    Plants do not do well with blue light. For a planted tank, two tubes of white light will be recommended.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for input.

1, how can i change the blue to white? i simply gotta buy the tube right?

2, yea i am already having plans on setting up a 4ft tank. but that will only happen after i am successful with this current one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes you can replace the bulbs. Try looking for bubbles around 6500 - 8000k. This will determine the colour of the light. I remember reading that certain colours of light tend to penetrate the water better thus are better recommended. Also plants absorb certain colours of light better then others. In this case it would be white to yellow light which is preferred as it best mimics the suns light.
    My first set up.... Which is still running is similar to yours but slightly larger. I ripped of the lid as
    1) it causes the water temp to be high as there is lack of ventilation.
    2) low lighting that is difficult to change.
    But unlike yours mine had a built in filter. Like what sail berg did u can use a external filter. Either a hof or canister

As for the scape, sloping creates depth do it's a good way to start. Maybe you could increase the steepness as the slope will erode with time. As for hard scape. It's good that you have an idea in mind. Try going around and sourcing for wood then work around the wood with plants you think will be suitable. That would be my suggestion ^^
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i switched to a 2213 already. super contented cause its super silent. and i had no problems at all.

i also changed the blue tube to a bright white light tube.

i noticed the lack of ventilation causes heat build up when the light is on-ed. what can be done about it? currently the OHF is cleared out and i put my shrimp food and nets in the area for the sponge/media. so how can i DIY this myself?
    Moved on from plants to predatory fishes, but still finding for inspiration for a 3ft planted tank.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is it going to be a planted tank and are you going to invest co2 in it???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can go low-tech and use DIY CO2 so you don't have to invest in a high tech set. The light bulbs should be changed to the right ones, as mentioned by others. Make sure you have the correct replacements. Bring the lightbulb to a hardware store with you, so you can compare with their bulbs. A 2213 for a tank of this size is probably overkill, but since you already have it, might as well use it.

Lack of ventilation means you have to DIY some sort of fan into the hood, or remove the hood altogether. I would retain the hood however, and DIY some fans instead. Small mini size PC fans are best for this, though you must have a plan of where to position them beforehand.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.