Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Goo Obo Gudgeons

Goo Obo Gudgeons

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I recently acquired a pair of these cool little fish from a friend. Not as commonly seen as some of their larger cousins these fish are as colorful without the sometimes overly aggressive tendencies of the larger species.
    While my friend had them they spawned on a regular basis however the male always ate the eggs within a few days. Removing the eggs always resulted in all eggs fungusing, something which is a real problem with these fish. If the eggs are removed it needs to be done just before they hatch. Fortunately this is easy to determine as the fry are quite visible as they develop. However for me the male has been a model parent and so far in the two months since i have acquired them has given me two good clutches of fry. Approximately two days after hatching i do remove the fry as the parents, esp the female may eat them if given the chance. Hatching takes 12-14 days, although in my tanks due to the lower temps take closer to 20 days.

Male

Female

Male and fry

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Goo Obo Gudgeons

This is my first time seeing these Gudgeons. They're a handsome pair Gordon. Congratulations on the successful spawn. It seems the fry are benthic by nature, like the parents? Or do they enter the water column on occasions?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

The fry are primarily benthic. They kind of hop up off the bottom briefly. They are hatched with very little yolk sac and eat bbs almost right away.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dang they sound easy from the get go. Too bad I never see these for sale in Singapore. It's a pity because certain species of gudgeons are beautiful, but most hobbyists here are obsessed with arowanas and the like.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.