Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps dying :((

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys I have this fire red shrimp tank for half a year already but the shrimps keep dying. .

At first I had 10. And a few die off in a month or so. After that they berried and I had about 18 shrimp lets which grew till about half inch. But one day they all died too leaving about 4 survivors.

Recently I bought 10 more and for the first few days they seem lively and are eating well. But overnight today 3 died again! :'(

PH is kept at around 7.5. Kh around 4 GH around 7. I don't measure other parameters but what could be the reason for this? Ammonia or something?

Thanks for the advice in advance guys

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimps dying :((

What is the tank temperature? Any huge sudden fluctuation?
    Are they molting?
    What is the tank water volume?
    Did you add anything over the past months?
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Naraki is right, tank temperature is a huge factor. In addition, how are you maintaining the temp? Chiller or fan? If you are using fan, you may still encounter fluctuation, plus you need to top up water which will introduce further water parameters fluctuations.

Your pH is a little high, most ppl keep shrimps in slightly acidic pH, but it's not impossible for shrimps to live well in pH 7.5 conditions. However, new shrimps who grew up in acidic conditions may not be able to acclimatize and that can account for your new shrimps death.

How big is your tank? The smaller your tank, the harder it is to keep shrimps.

Ammonia is likely to NOT be the problem as you have the tank for half a year already so it should be cycled. However, your nitrate levels may be overly high. Nitrate is the single most important parameter that everyone measure constantly. Most ppl I know, including me, only measure pH, GH and KH at the start of a new tank, once you go through the routine of maintaining your tank, these parameters are unlikely to vary. Nitrate, however, is an indication of whether you need to do water changes or not (unless your tank is very well planted and it can remove more nitrate than your shrimps introduce).

I don't want to come across as preachy or as a "know-it-all" as I still consider myself a newbie in shrimp rearing, but I would suggest that you read up more on keeping shrimps. I'm concerned that you don't check your nitrate levels as that indicate that you may not have sufficient knowledge needed to keep them. I can understand ppl rushing into keeping shrimps because they look nice but these are very delicate creatures that require lots of care in order to survive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did anyone in the household spray insecticide, pesticide, polish, cleaning solutions, perfumes or deodorant near the surrounding areas of the tank? Or was your water change bucket used for home cleaning purposes with detergents or bleach? Sometimes such things happen without our knowledge and result in mysterious mass die-outs in the shrimp population, so do check and see.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey guys my tank is about 11litres only not a really big tank. I have quite alot of plants in there which names currently eludes me. I use a HOF and i only do distilled water top up. No water change. Maybe i shall get a measuring kit for the nitrates lvl. Maybe thats the problems.

I keep the water slightly alkaline for the snail which thrived at the beginning but in recent weeks begin to fall of the glass and onto the substrate. I moved all the snails to my dad's cichlids tank and they seem to do okay and recover.

any other parameters i need to be concern about?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMO your tank is too small to maintain stable parameters. And with no water change i think your tds will be very high

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so should i do a water change now?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skyrex View Post
    so should i do a water change now?
    Its worth a try... at the very least it'll help reduce any toxic parameters that might have built up in the tank (which are all unknowns at the moment).

Test kits will definitely help narrow down the causes, it'll reduce most of the guesswork you are going through now.

Perhaps you can post a photo of your tank? Then is much easier for people to see and then advise on other possible solutions.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Measure your TDS. I finally bought a TDS pen for my 45cm and realised reason for my constant casualties from molting. My TDS is up to a thousand. Lol I managed to reduce my GH by half over past 3 weeks otherwise it would be worse! Other parameters are prefect.

Think overcrowded it with plants and fishes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow. .. TDS over a thousand? That's really high. I had TDS at 450 once and CRS is still surviving well. But I hardly measure TDS now as my 1ft cube tank is relatively stable. Hope your tank can stabilise soonest.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Skvin2002 given up in that tank. It was experimental and was a learning journey. Last shrimp officially died yesterday. Setting up a 25g tank, 5 times bigger this week with proper chiller and substrate additives. Starting over with the knowledge learnt and hope will succeed this time round.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just bought a nitrate test kit and i am gonna do a water change hope that works! My tank have lots of algae growth once the snails are taken out and i read somewhere that nitrate causes algae boom so i hope thats the issue!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I did a test last night and the nitrate lvl is between 25mg/l to 50mg/l. Which is too high. After which I did a 4.5l water change and measured the nitrate test again this morning. The colour still seem to be the 25mg/l. Which is still relatively high. should i do another 50% water change ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skyrex View Post
    I did a test last night and the nitrate lvl is between 25mg/l to 50mg/l. Which is too high. After which I did a 4.5l water change and measured the nitrate test again this morning. The colour still seem to be the 25mg/l. Which is still relatively high. should i do another 50% water change ?
    I guess your nitrate readings probably lean more towards the 50 mg/l side so the 40-50% water change reduced it closer to the 25 mg/l side (test kit colors can sometimes be abit tricky to differentiate). You can still continue doing additional water change to lower the nitrates further.

Since you have not been doing water changes and the existing shrimps may not be used to the practice... it'll be better to do smaller water changes (ie. 20%) over the span of a few days, this will allow the shrimps extra time to adapt more gradually to the changes in water conditions.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alright. Thanks for the advice guys I will try to reduce the nitrate lvls and see if there are any improvements to the mortality rates . what should the best nitrate value be? 10mg/l?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyway guys i know this is off topic but i went to read up about filters and decided to change my HOF into an eheim classic 2211? Is there anything i need to take note? Like will there be lesser surface water agitation or lesser oxygen in the water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

20140530_231108.jpg bro im sorry i steal your tread. i bought 10 adult painted fire red 1 weeks ago. since then i had 2 died. now one of my crs seems to be dying. is it normal for them to just die? cause i just bought 3 prl crs and was about to put it in when i say my crs twitching. other PR and shrimplets/juveniles seems fine.

tank is 3 weeks old.
    2215 canister filter
    i gex coner filter
    1 dual sponge filter
    hs28a chiller
    temp - 25 deg
    ph 6.4
    ammonia - 0
    no2 - 0
    no3 - 0
    kh-1
    gh-4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For shrimp tanks, best to be zero (or as low as possible)... but 10mg/l is a good target to maintain too, especially if you have plants in the tank.

If you are planning to get a 2211, do consider getting a set of double taps to make maintenance easier. The tap will also allow you to adjust and reduce the outflow speed in case the output current is too strong for your tank.

To create surface agitation, just position the canister filter's rain/spray bar or outflow tube higher at the water surface.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Subdave View Post
    20140530_231108.jpg bro im sorry i steal your tread. i bought 10 adult painted fire red 1 weeks ago. since then i had 2 died. now one of my crs seems to be dying. is it normal for them to just die? cause i just bought 3 prl crs and was about to put it in when i say my crs twitching. other PR and shrimplets/juveniles seems fine.

tank is 3 weeks old.
    2215 canister filter
    i gex coner filter
    1 dual sponge filter
    hs28a chiller
    temp - 25 deg
    ph 6.4
    ammonia - 0
    no2 - 0
    no3 - 0
    kh-1
    gh-4
    Your parameters seem to look alright... i'm assuming the tank has been fully cycled and stable? And the new shrimps were drip acclimated before being introduced into the tank?

If you bought shrimps and 10-20% of them died after a week (but the rest are still healthy and active), then you could have just happened to get a few individuals which were already weak or ill when you got them. You'd be worried if 80-90% of them died though, or you are pulling out dead shrimps everyday, then something is wrong with the tank.

Shrimps tend to have a relatively short lifespan and are more sensitive than fishes, so some occasional attrition amongst the colony is usually expected.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    For shrimp tanks, best to be zero (or as low as possible)... but 10mg/l is a good target to maintain too, especially if you have plants in the tank.

If you are planning to get a 2211, do consider getting a set of double taps to make maintenance easier. The tap will also allow you to adjust and reduce the outflow speed in case the output current is too strong for your tank.

To create surface agitation, just position the canister filter's rain/spray bar or outflow tube higher at the water surface.
    I saw the picture you posted in the other eheim poll thread for the double taps so i roughly have an idea. Thanks so much for your help bro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast