Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grading system of Cherry to Fire Red Shrimps?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Grading system of Cherry to Fire Red Shrimps?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    That is mimaro moss carpet
    The moss ball and expand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i see, why didn't I thought of that. Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, its a marimo carpet made from flatten marimo balls. It's a rather pain-staking process as it's not just a simple matter of tearing apart the marimo and stuffing the pieces into the soil. It was made into a dense natural-shaped looking lawn and kept from breaking apart or floating by adding mesh underneath.
    The effort was worth it though, as I get an instantly matured lawn without needing to wait for carpeting plants to grow in.

This was the initial setup of the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for advising that its not easy to flatten the marimo ball.. good thing i haven't flatten mine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

But will the flatten marimo grow roots and hold on to the soil? If not after some time they would just float upwards?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

just curious, months ago i introduced a pack of so called cherry shrimps into my tank. Now I'm seeing several pieces of shrimps alike the picture attached. Are they considered fire red? or just high grade sakura?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qool View Post
    But will the flatten marimo grow roots and hold on to the soil? If not after some time they would just float upwards?
    Marimo will eventually grip onto the surface of soil, wood or rocks but it takes very very long. On soil, it'll not grip as a carpet but will form tiny tiny "balls" around each soil granule.
    My lawn was made to be instant. It's a secret!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by josephogk View Post
    just curious, months ago i introduced a pack of so called cherry shrimps into my tank. Now I'm seeing several pieces of shrimps alike the picture attached. Are they considered fire red? or just high grade sakura?
    That's a fire red to me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    That's a fire red to me
    thanks for the id. looks like i got lucky to have quite a handful of it in the packet of 'cherry shrimps' i bought.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

Smile Re: Grading system of Cherry to Fire Red Shrimps?

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    In Bangkok weekend market(pet corner are open everyday), majority cherry are Sakura category.
    Price is 10baht per shrimp.

RCS are nice as they are more hardy and you do not need a chiller.
    You can put them in any aquarium as long as they are not food for fish.
    Most babies will be cull but there is a chance that they will still boom with small fish as long as you have mosses, plants and driftwood for them to hide.

They smaller fish like Neon Tetra, Galaxy do not eat the shrimplets once they passed one week old.

I have a tank(20cmX40cmX25cm) with 4 Neon Tetra, 3 Galaxy and 3 Otos.
    The population of RCS are rising all the time and I have to cull them by throwing them into the garden water plant pots(They survive in there!!!).

Hello, I am from Spain, Barcelona and am interested in buying diverse varieties of camaron, yellow, red, black, etc ... someone m epuede to sell and to order Spain or do they know of someone who does it? Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok, call me green but I'm still lost in identifying Sakura from RCS. Are this Sakuras?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389545716.164852.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1389545725.348441.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1389545752.448558.jpg

I have also a few that are red but has a stripe of orange painted stripe from head to fin, are these Fire Shrimps?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389546021.665345.jpg

shrimpin ain't easy.. hah

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi memzsa,

From the pictures, most looks like at least a Sakura to me, with a few fire reds. A few of the youngs though, would probably be cherry grade.

The stripe on the back is a separate trait that as far as I know, does not affect fire red grading.

It is interesting to note however, that this stripe can also be found in yellow neocaridina shrimps and is used to "grade" them into "yellow shrimps" and "Golden-back yellow shrimps", with the latter being more prized.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Grading system of Cherry to Fire Red Shrimps?

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Hi memzsa,

From the pictures, most looks like at least a Sakura to me, with a few fire reds. A few of the youngs though, would probably be cherry grade.

The stripe on the back is a separate trait that as far as I know, does not affect fire red grading.

It is interesting to note however, that this stripe can also be found in yellow neocaridina shrimps and is used to "grade" them into "yellow shrimps" and "Golden-back yellow shrimps", with the latter being more prized.
    Thanks man for the ID and detail info on Golden back, I google and notice there are Yellow, Orange Sakura and Black Sakura.

Any idea where to find them in SG, especially those Black Sakura, sleek !?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by memzsa View Post
    Thanks man for the ID and detail info on Golden back, I google and notice there are Yellow, Orange Sakura and Black Sakura.

Any idea where to find them in SG, especially those Black Sakura, sleek !?
    Aquarist Chamber is the only LFS in Singapore that I know that sell black Neo shrimps that are of painted fire quality. However, you need to be careful in choosing them, because they are not true black, but a mixture of really dark blue and really dark brown. You may need to look for tell-tale signs like light reflected off the shell, the legs, and the tails (cos the color is not as dark there) and choose either all dark blue or dark brown. I think this may affect the color of the offsprings.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
    Aquarist Chamber is the only LFS in Singapore that I know that sell black Neo shrimps that are of painted fire quality. However, you need to be careful in choosing them, because they are not true black, but a mixture of really dark blue and really dark brown. You may need to look for tell-tale signs like light reflected off the shell, the legs, and the tails (cos the color is not as dark there) and choose either all dark blue or dark brown. I think this may affect the color of the offsprings.
    Thanks, I'm planning to check out AC this weekend. Will take note between the Brown or Black. Awesome.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

I feel really stupid right now. I didn't realize they are so many grading to RCS. I simply find them nice when I first saw them in lfs and just bought it. Unknown to me that the lfs sells all the different grades in the same package and price them the same. I find this to be unfair to consumers if they are paying for cheap grade rcs. Anyway, now I probably got all the different grade (after reading this post that I realize now) into 1 same tank.

I found a link as well for the 5 different grading and I thought I share it here. Probably not much people keeping rcs but more into crs now. Anyway, here's the link for anyone interested.

http://www.redcherryshrimp.net/wp-co...rry-Shrimp.png

Can someone advise whether I should separate the different grades into different tank? Pros and Cons?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, i'm not a fan of pre-packed bags of shrimps too (unless they are those cheap bulk bags of low grade shrimps)... although the bags work out abit cheaper for sakura or fire red grades, you have much less choice in the actual quality of the shrimps. Its always better to pay abit more to personally select the good ones directly from the LFS tank instead.

Note that the various grades of red cherry shrimps are just a guideline... there are lots more variations in color quality within each grade and very often their color intensity can change depending on water conditions, diet and their stress level.

A young shrimp may look like sakura grade in the pre-packed bag or LFS tank, but when put in a tank with favourable conditions, there is a chance it may gradually develop into a fire red after a few successful molts.

If you are keen on breeding RCS to get better grades, then do separate them into different tanks, you'll need to continue shifting the shrimps around as they grow and display their true colors... note that male shrimps tend to have slightly less coloration compared to female shrimps, so don't end up shifting all the males out and leave the high grade tank with only females.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 10th May 2014 at 16:58.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, i'm not a fan of pre-packed bags of shrimps too (unless they are those cheap bulk bags of low grade shrimps)... although the bags work out abit cheaper for sakura or fire red grades, you have much less choice in the actual quality of the shrimps. Its always better to pay abit more to personally select the good ones directly from the LFS tank instead.

Note that the various grades of red cherry shrimps are just a guideline... there are lots more variations in color quality within each grade and very often their color intensity can change depending on water conditions, diet and their stress level.

A young shrimp may look like sakura grade in the pre-packed bag or LFS tank, but when put in a tank with favourable conditions, there is a chance it may gradually develop into a fire red after a few successful molts.

If you are keen on breeding RCS to get better grades, then do separate them into different tanks, you'll need to continue shifting the shrimps around as they grow and display their true colors... note that male shrimps tend to have slightly less coloration compared to female shrimps, so don't end up shifting all the males out and leave the high grade tank with only females.
    Hahahaha..... I'm not going to separate them. Not only it's just too hard and too much attention needed, I don't have the space to put up 5 different tanks for 5 different category. I'll have to buy a bigger flat to include everything else that I'm going to do. hahahaha....

Thanks for the insight.

Feedback Score

First time shrimper wannabe here..

Thought I should share..c328 just came in a bumper crop of shrimps!!!...saw black king Kong. .rily..sakuras. .ss(?) grade crs..Blue bolt..orangey ones etc etc. .

got myself some supposedly fire red (labelled as such) for about $1.60 a shrimp..but colors seems more like sakura to me..attributing it to bagged stress and my own inexperienced judgement.. gonna give it some time to settle down and see if it turns nicer..

Fingers crossed that they will be able to survive with my tetras..n my non shrimp Intended waters..will drip acclimatise accordingly. . *fingers crossed*

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12