Country
    Singapore

4 gallon Southeast Asian Biotope

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

For the last few months, my 4 gallon tank (31cmx19cmx26cm) has been used as a shrimps tank. A few weeks ago, I decided to decommission the tank and start all over again to create an aquarium for fish only. After fishless cycling for 9 days, I decided to re-scape the tank and make a Southeast Asia biotope for dwarf rasboras. Their origins are from Malaysia, Sumatra, Indonesia and would like to do something similar to their natural living condition.

In the current tank, there are plants from Southeast Asia like Water wisteria, java moss and dwarf rotala. I also have Anubias nana (not born in Asia though ) and planning to get Java fern to get the tank planted even more densely. Along with the plants, there are also driftwood and small rocks.

As for substrate, I'm still thinking of either getting soil or normal sand for Southeast Asia biotope. I'm leaning more towards sand just like the picture here. Anyone can suggest on this?

Here's the tank picture:

I'm still lacking of ideas for the scape of the biotope. Any suggestion?

The re-scaping will only begin next week after my holiday trip to KL though but need some suggestion beforehand.

Thanks for viewing.
    Last edited by Dean; 17th Dec 2010 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4 gallon Southeast Asian Biotope

Maybe you could add those bogwood with moss... It will create a more natural look...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

your soil is too flat, be aggressive with your slope, use rocks as support. Your plants are too big for your scape.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the suggestion bros.

The picture itself isn't the final work of the biotope. It is to get the tank cycled first. Only moss on driftwood and anubias nana will be in my plan for the biotope. I'll remove the rest of the plants and substrate and replace them with narrow java fern/ java fern, river sand and more small rocks. I don't think there will be slope for the coming biotope considering the size of the tank. I'm looking to get more space for the fish and thinking of getting just a small layer of river sand. Plants like moss, java fern and anubias nana won't need root fert and will do well even without thick soil.

My list for tomorrow will be the master test kit, river sand, java fern on driftwood, small rocks. Maybe will get the fert and peat too. I'll get the items by tomorrow if the LFS is open on Christmas eve. I'll update soon with more pictures. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You are welcome. Just have what you want in mind before you go, that way you can keep your cost down too. I notice an inherent trend with small tanks, we tend to spend more than we need, I have my suspicion that's why most LFS have their small tanks on display right at the front door.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Forget about the 4g. I'll replace it with 10g tank which has been in store for more than 3 years. I've check the dimension (44x28x30)cm and it fits perfectly on my desk. I've washed and tested the tank. There's no leak whatsoever and the tank is ready to go. I'll update again soon when I'm ready to start with the set up.

Btw, is it possible to change the title now?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

use crypts, these are native to SE Asia
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Southeast Asian Biotope

Here is the update.

Today I went to LFS to buy Sudo Bottom Sand (5kg), JBL root fertilizer, some plants as well.

1.5ft tank

Sudo Bottom Sand

and last but not least, JBL root fertilizer

The plants are flame moss on driftwood and windelov fern. Both are in the 1ft tank at the moment.

I'll begin the set up tomorrow.