Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take for HairGrass to start spreading?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long does it take for HairGrass to start spreading?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Mine has been in my tank for 2weeks dont see any new leaves sprouting...

Tank size : 2ft x 1ft x 1ft
    CO2 : DIY
    Basefert : Sera
    Gravel : Lapis brand
    Filter : Canister
    Lighting : 72W PL
    Liquid fert : LushGro Aqua
    Temp : 24 - 28degC
    PH : 6.5 - 7
    KH : 4Deg

Can someone advise pls? thnx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    knoogy: try giving them a trim... it increase their propagation rate, also important is that you provide nutrients/lights/co2 equally to increase that growth rate

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wahh...this question have to ask bro choy.he pro in hairgrass.hehe...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Trim ? not much is out of the gravel ... i scared if trim no more grass liaoz

Bro Bluezinc ... how long did yr hairgrass take to start spreading?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Look at your CO2 and macros...they are the causes of growth issues.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mine have not spread yet.but can see new shoot coming up.and my hairgrass even bubble!!!ehehe...but if im not wrong..hairgrass dont really spread...they will just grow taller and as it grows taller...it will open up.refer to prev threads on hairgrass.that particular thread is useful.go take a look. [:]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    In my own experience, hair grass does spread. If it grow right, you can see new shootS spread like 1cm far in 2weeks.

Advice from some planter is that... plant it shallow and in small bunch ~10strands/bunch. And together with the right condition, it will spread real fast.

Just my experience.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/20/2003 12:04:02 AM

mine have not spread yet.but can see new shoot coming up.and my hairgrass even bubble!!!ehehe...but if im not wrong..hairgrass dont really spread...they will just grow taller and as it grows taller...it will open up.refer to prev threads on hairgrass.that particular thread is useful.go take a look. [:]
    ----------------
    clarence, very cheemz leh, what you mean by "open up"?

your HG should be spreading very quickly, but as it is done under the gravel you can't see it until new leaves start poking out in between your "grid". HG leaves can grow ½ inch in a day, so don't have to worry how deeply you planted the original grass, they will find a way to reach out of the substrate.

you have to have lots of patience with HG because unlike glosso or other carpet plants, the leaves is very small in coverage, so it will take a while to get a good carpeting density, however the advantage is there is no "layering" effect so you will not have bottom layers of rotting plants.

HG is a rosette plant, spreading by runners, which means leaves will keep growing from the same spot, but as time goes by, there more "growing spots" or "new plants" which spread by runners.Once you have a lot of these, your density will become very high, sometimes too high (like mine). To get a really good density it will take several months.

and hey, I not "pro" lah, just happen to have HG growing out of control, not to mention the BBA []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/19/2003 10:22:27 PM

Mine has been in my tank for 2weeks dont see any new leaves sprouting...

Tank size : 2ft x 1ft x 1ft
    CO2 : DIY
    Basefert : Sera
    Gravel : Lapis brand
    Filter : Canister
    Lighting : 72W PL
    Liquid fert : LushGro Aqua
    Temp : 24 - 28degC
    PH : 6.5 - 7
    KH : 4Deg

Can someone advise pls? thnx
    ----------------
    I'm not sure about this, but since they haven't start growing leaves they may not be able to really absorb nutrients from the water column. maybe go easy with the Lushgrow.

personally I have had very bad experience with CO2, never seem to give the necessary consistent bubbling rate, so your struggling plants are running out of breadth on and off.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    forgot to ask....erm...does bubbling plants means they are healthy?[:]

and somehow my hairgrass is turning into a darker shade of green.previously when i 1st started using the new light set,it was bright green.dun tell me Teo's prophercy came true!too much light will chao tar![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bubbling doesn't mean healthy. You can have full of bubbling, but plants are dying and there're lots of algae.

High light won't burn hairgrass, but you need more nutrients, else it will grow sick... Recently I just reduce to low lighting, one thing I observed is that my hairgrass become very long, >15cm!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yah...dats what i was tinking also.hmmm....

so healthy plants should be bright green in colour rite?uh-oh...[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't be too kan cheong, plants have moods and variations too. don't fret over every minute changes. when the leaves are new of course they're brighter green lah, then it'll turn darker as it matures, finally to yellow/brown when it mati. but everything will be mixed up because along the way there will be a wave of new leaves that will be bright green. *shakes head*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So is my Hairgrass dead?

2weeks n no new shoots yet... but they r not brown leh... they r dark green in color...

Haiz...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    relax lar, not dead yet lar, wont die so easily one.
    be patient with hairgrass like Choy said.

yupz, i can confirm that high light wont burn the grass, because mine has lots of sun throughout the day and the grass is still green and lush.

trimming it regularly will promote growth, then the whole patch will look greener because you will then have more new shoots relative to the brown or dark green ones.

Choy, you hairgrass grow so tall so fast! o.5 inch a day is a lot!
    mine stay pretty low. I trim when it reaches about 8cm, and that is about a month in my tank! 0.5inch a day, i will have to trim every week!
    wonder is regular trimming "trains" them to stay shorter...[]
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    0.5 inch a day or two, that's when I do them completely botak. because mine have grown so thick, if I trim every so often, I will have a lot of density at the base, short old leaves mixed with long new leaves. I find they grow in spurts, when they grow they really grow damn fast, then everything stays quiet, leaves slowly turn darker, starts collect algae, then wham, another wave of new growth, bright green and algae free!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wah bro choy...after reading these replies...somehow i felt relieved.LOL!!!okok....patience patience!!![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bros!

Any of you guys can spare me a little hair grass, wanna try planting it . The ones i see at my LFS don't seem to be worth $2. all yellow and brown. Staying near Serangoon central.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    2 weeks is the normal time to see good new growth, from there the plants grow rapidly and send runners all over.

The first 2 weeks they are sending out roots.You just don't see it.

Some plants do fine without good root structure, but not these.

Planting groups of 10 like someone else mentioned about 2-3 cm apart is good, they will fill in well in a month.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Brother Choy, Know that you are HG expert...and also red algae patent holder.

Is HG really rosette? just trying to confirm not doubting.

I pull them up before starting from the new growth, end up I get on long train of hair grass...one strand connecting to one strand..in a long chain....didn't notice rosette.

Can confirm this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast