3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Help with gobies.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I would like to know what are some of the small gobies available in singapore and where to get them. Recently got one from sam's n pet, seems to be an algae eater and was told it grows to about 4cm only.

I was wondering whether i can mix other gobies with it or get more of them. If so, what other gobies can i get.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with gobies.

Commonly seen small-sized gobies in Singapore are usually Brachygobius, Stiphodon, Parawaous and some other oddball species, usually brackish in nature.

To mix gobies, that depends on what species you wish to keep in a community setting. To identify the species you got from Sam's N' Pet, take a picture and post it here.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There.

Living in here

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone can recommend me a cory/goby/pleco/loach that stays 4cm and under??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The fish you have is a Stiphodon sp. They are grazers on the tiny animals that live in the algae but they do ingest algae as well. Not an effective algae eater though.

For a cory below 4cm, only the dwarf species like C. pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus will do.
    For a goby below 4cm, perhaps only the Bumblebee Gobies aka Brachygobius spp, will fit your bill.
    For a loach below 4 cm, try Rosy Loaches, or the Dwarf Chain Loach, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki.
    For a "pleco" below 4cm, try the Tiger Oto, or just the Otocinclus themselves.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brachygobius spp fare better in slightly brackish water, so it might not suit your current tank.
    Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki can be a bit nippy but should not cause much harm to your gobies. Rosy loaches are nice and gentle.

In case you want more of the Stiphodon, Y618 does have some when I was there on Saturday.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Stormhawk, the gobies you listed, are any under brackish??. Rosy loach, tiger oto and the cories?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brachygobius are more of a brackish species as what avant said, but they can handle living in a non-brackish environment, as long as the pH is not too low. Some species of Brachygobius can handle full fresh water.

Rosy Loaches are very easy, as are the Dwarf Corydoras species I listed. They are not brackish water species though. Tiger Oto is small and delicate, but fits your requirements for a "pleco" 4cm and below.

Stiphodon gobies are territorial in nature, so I do not recommend more than 1 for your tank. I had 3 in a 4 ft tank and 1 died for unknown reasons. The remaining two pretty much battle each other on a daily basis but nothing much since the smaller one usually makes way for the bigger male. They need ample algae growth in the tank to thrive, so if you don't have an established tank with good algae growth, don't keep too many. Mine feeds on sinking pellets, frozen bloodworms whenever I feed the other fish, but most of the time they just graze on the algae covered stuff in the tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by avant View Post
    Brachygobius spp fare better in slightly brackish water, so it might not suit your current tank.
    Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki can be a bit nippy but should not cause much harm to your gobies. Rosy loaches are nice and gentle.

In case you want more of the Stiphodon, Y618 does have some when I was there on Saturday.

do they have S. atropurpureus or S. percnopterygionus ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where can i get the rosy loach tiger oto and cories??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

3/4 of the time you cannot be certain of the species while they are at the LFS. They are usually very pale while in a bare tank at the LFS, so to identify a species at first glance is difficult. Stiphodon only colour up once they are settled down, but to identify them on color pattern alone is difficult.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is my stiphodon "coloured up" yet? Got it from a heavily planted tank at sam's n pet. I wish to know whether polyart or c328 have any of the species above.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nvm. I have decided to upgrade the tank to a 75x20x20(cm) tank. Having 5 oto, 5 malaya shrimp, 1 stiphodon goby and 2 L183 as the "star" fish. I will be posting at another section of the forums.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I keep three blue stiphodon goby together, and one rainbow in another tank. There is a person on the loach forum from Japan who keeps many kinds together~this is a wonderful thread with awesome photos
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic....686&hilit=goby
    smile~ Carole

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow!! Thanks for the link! Truly inspirational.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes that link is inspirational indeed. I saw it awhile back and his pictures showed us that you can keep them in large numbers together, but with the necessary hiding spots. Still, the rule of thumb applies, as in a good growth of algae is necessary for the survival of these gobies in the tank.

That aside, your goby is not fully coloured up yet. Give it awhile.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

looks like water temp could be a key issue too ,instead of aufwuchs , will it survive on algae wafers alone?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I believe they are very much omnivores. Mine in the planted tank live off chopped frozen bloodworms, quality flake, and live grindal worms. The tank also gets fresh veggie and algae wafer, but only on occasion.There is algae there if they choose to graze. My rainbow with the goldfish lives off Hikari lionhead pellets & Hikari saki pellets. The tank is bare bones with just a few large stones and fake plants. The only algae there would be film algae. He waits for the pellets.
    smile~ Carole

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anybody knows which LFS have a range of gobies? Went to many LFS, but most don't even have the common once. The interest in gobies in Singapore is dying???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Gobies are very under-appreciated in Singapore. Don't expect to find a large range for sale anywhere, except marine LFS for seawater species.

They are omnivores but the diet differs from species to species. A species to avoid is the Glass Goby, Gobiopterus chuno. See here for a picture by Justikanz:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...&cutoffdate=-1

If you cannot provide live food do not buy these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast