11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Alvin Koh's Journal: 90x45x45cm Planted

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    WOW!!! This thread is still alive and rocking! LOL! About 2yrs ago i was trying low maintenance planting for around 1.5yrs without changing water except topping the water, Fertilize the plant as and when i liked. Result not as bad as yours but still conditioned deteriorated very slowly over time. Sometime ago i came out simple ways of doing planting and result was fascinating, now i just changed water once a week and dose ferts once a week, hardly i can see any algae, even GSA take ages to grow. LOL
    Last edited by blue33; 22nd Apr 2013 at 15:10.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
    My sincere apologies to everybody for the lack of response to this thread.
    I am updating this thread as a form of closure to my first serious attempt at a planted tank albeit, it's late by almost 2 years! - I hope to share what I can remember about the initial wonderful experience and I am trying to startup again.

The tank flourished for the next 3-4 months and then family/work commitment got really hectic and I began to pay much less attention to maintenance as I was running off automated dosing pumps. However, the dosing tubes failed as the brass check valves clogged with sediments and I was not vigilant enough to notice until it was too late (weeks later).

By then I'd resorted to irregular manual dosing and that too came to a stop when the tank became difficult to salvage (unhealthy plants, algae), I just left it to grow with little pruning nor dosing.

Lights were greatly reduced and most of the hardier plants like crypts, nana continued to survive for a year until finally, I took the effort to decommission it recently.

What I've learnt from my initial experience:
    1) There are alot of amazing setup guides out there, but in my opinion, too few hands-on maintenance of plants (e.g. carpet, rooting plant) for long-term scapes - I wish there were more!
    2) I realised that fast growing plants with plenty of roots, start to cause significant of soil compression which is hard to rectify without uprooting.
    3) Unwelcomed snails are a huge pain - I cringe thinking of them multiplying under the soil - despite my effort to sanitize my plants with potassium permanganate, they still survived and thrived.
    4) Utricularia Gibba - another pest. Despite best efforts to remove them, they always come back to haunt me too - came free with Utricularia Graminifolia from local farm.
    5) If I'm not careful pruning HC 'Cuba', the scissors may uproot the whole patch when I lift off.
    6) Utricularia Graminfolia grows well tied to metal meshes, but it's just a temporary solution as they will float off though.

Sweetest moments:
    1) UG (Utricularia Graminifolia) thriving. I didn't manage to get a full lawn unfortunately as I couldn't keep them rooted. I got half my tank surface occupied with a 1-inch thick mat though.
    2) HC was surprisingly robust from emersed to submersed. Grew reallly fast and didn't melt at all.

I'm sorry I do not have any updated pics. I tried to search my computer but realised that I delayed taking update photos as things were progressing nicely initially and I wanted to do it when everything was perfect - which fell short.

I am attempting an almost similar scape with the same equipment and hardscape again because I feel that I did not complete my initial attempt and I hope the seniors can guide me along again when I have any queries I can't resolve.

Cheers!
    Sorry bro, can I check what temperature your tank was when you are doing the DSM? I thought HC need cool ambient.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    WOW!!! This thread is still alive and rocking! LOL! About 2yrs ago i was trying low maintenance planting for around 1.5yrs without changing water except topping the water, Fertilize the plant as and when i liked. Result not as bad as yours but still conditioned deteriorated very slowly over time. Sometime ago i came out simple ways of doing planting and result was fascinating, now i just changed water once a week and dose ferts once a week, hardly i can see any algae, even GSA take ages to grow. LOL
    Hi Adrian
    Yeah, little/no light, the grow came to a standstill and the only nutrients feeding the plants were fish food and nutrients from the soil. It was certainly a 'different' kind of experience for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenng View Post
    Sorry bro, can I check what temperature your tank was when you are doing the DSM? I thought HC need cool ambient.
    Mostly ambient temperature as far as I could remember.
    With the plastic sheet cover and lights, it was infact, higher than room temperature most of the time. My impression was that HC can survive without too much water. I remember seeing HC planted in moist clay/soil just like other terrestrial plants in the aquatic plants farm under the direct hot sunlight. Too much water definitely killed HC and encouraged BGA when I was cultivating them separately, emersed in plastic containers.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678