Country
    Singapore

Decapsulation of Brine Shrimp Eggs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey, fellas,

I don't know why the word "decapsulation" reminds me of "circumcision" but maybe it's because it has got something to do with removing something from something. []

Anyway, many thanks to Gwee Sia Meng who came to my house the other day to show me how it's done, I got a new page on my website now. Just in case you are wondering, I'm still a whole person The decapsulation was for the brine shrimp eggs and not me []

If you like to take a look at how it's done, go to:

http://killies.com/Decapsulating.htm

I must say it was a lot easier than I had intially thought. For those of you who breed fish and feed your fry with baby brine shrimp, you should try this out sometime.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi, im ignorant of this topic, could you elaborate?
    Do you have too much brine shrimp? Can give?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 8/21/2003 1:13:29 AM

Hi, im ignorant of this topic, could you elaborate?
    Do you have too much brine shrimp? Can give?
    ----------------
    BBS in short come with shells as all shrimps do . These shells , from the article , tends to float , thus might not become as "attractive" as compared to the ones that have sunk to the bottom or are sinking .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,
    what an interesting and refreshing idea . can we freeze the hatched brine shrimps so that they can be used at a later stage .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't freeze the BS, cks.
    Don't bother to keep them for more than a day, even.

The freshly hatched BS is said to be the most nutritious, and loses most of its nutition values after a certain no. of hours ( not certain how many )after that.

Good thing abt. de-capsulated BS egg is that you can feed it to the fish even without matching them.
    I keep my de-cap. eggs in a small air-tight container, without the salt solution, in the fridge for up to 1 week.
    I feed the eggs direct to my guppiess fries, without hatching.

Very good results. : )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ectan,
    thanks for the reply . btw where do you get your bs . i heard that the ones sold locally do not hatch easily .
    cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Brine shrimp eggs sold in our local fish shops sometimes don't hatch because they are not kept in proper conditions. BS eggs should be kept in the vegetable compartment of the fridge when not in use. If they are kept in room temperatures for prolonged periods, the eggs die and will never hatch no matter how long you aerate them.

I buy my BS eggs from www.brineshrimpdirect.com which is based in the US of A. If you do a search on "artemia", you will find many websites selling these eggs.

Guppy fry will eat unhatched decapsulated eggs but killie fry won't. In fact, most fish fry won't bite unless the food moves. Unhatched eggs don't swim so the fry don't know that it's food.

If you hatch out too many baby brine shrimp and your fish can't eat them all, keep the shrimp inside a small container like a film cannister and store it in the vegetable compartment of your fridge. The baby shrimp will go into hibernation and will come alive again when you pour them into water. I'm not sure if any nutrition value will be lost but it's better than to feed your fry with frozen shrimp.

If you have brine shrimp eggs that are spoiled and cannot hatch, try decapsulating them. I decapsulated a container of spoiled eggs and after aerating them in a salt solution for about 16 hours, they hatch although the hatch rate wasn't very good.

The more I learn about the brine shrimp, the more I find what an amazing creature it is. To think that they can survive 10 minutes of being bathed in a bleach solution and still hatch and the fact that they can propagate themselves 2 ways, either by live births or laying eggs, heck, it's really one helluva survivor.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    excellent article you can up with.

i've read from several sites about doing this but like you mentioned, it seemed to be quite difficult to do. your pictures and clear instructions certainly took the "mystery" out of it and makes it seem quite east to do.

will definitely try this in the future.

/eyeing my large can of BS eggs..... muahahahahah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've gone thru the article. Good stuff... was wondering how much Chlorox to use to dissolve the shells? 30ml?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    was wondering how much Chlorox to use to dissolve the shells? 30ml?
    ----------------
    I didn't state the exact amount of bleach because it is not important. The more bleach used, the faster the eggs turn orange. Some websites recommend to use the same amount of bleach as the water.

Loh K L