Images
    Country
    Singapore

Conditions needed to grow Upward Growing Christmas

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can anyone advise the conditions needed to grow upward growing christmas moss? I'm able to grow (with reasonable success) normal christmas moss, tonina sp, and red tai-yang-cao but yet I do not seemed to make the upward growing christmas moss grow.

Does this moss need high light? I thought so, as SamYick has the moss planted so closed to the water surface. But the part that seemed to grow in my tank are blocked (lighting) with Luwigia arcuata.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicky,

"I'm able to grow (with reasonable success) normal christmas moss, tonina sp, and red tai-yang-cao but yet I do not seemed to make the upward growing christmas moss grow."

What is your water parameter and base fert used?

Regards,

Freddy Chng

www.killies.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Can post you picrure? Then all can see how you grow them. Sometime picture can tell a thousand words...where are the possible thing that is not right, positioning or lighting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nicky,
    u cannot make it grow upwards cuz your nose is bleeding! hahaha!
    you got to practice more upward posture for yourself first before the plant can grow upwards! heehee..
    how your nose brother????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    those moss u see in pet safari, sam yick.. isnt the same xmas moss you normally get.. go ask Chan, he got some []

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No lah Simon. The upward growing ones are not the same as the regular Christmas that is inside Gan's display or NA's display.

Cannot show you the digital picture as I'm still living in the stone age (no digital camera). But my water parameter is quite regular.

KH: 3
    pH about 6.5
    NO3: 30ppm (very high, donno why probably due to dead fishes decomposing).
    PO4: 0.5ppm
    (did not dose NO3 and PO4).
    K: >25ppm
    Ca and Mg should be ok since I dose Equilibrium. (about 0.5teaspoon of the old formula per week).
    TMG=50ml, 2x per week for a 250l tank.
    Light: 8x36W, 10hrs.
    Water Change: Weekly.

When I first obtained the moss from a kind-soul from AQ, I tied it on the rain-bar. It grew pretty after turning black for 2 weeks or so.

Then I transfered it to a log. Bad move. All dead.

Then I bought a Y-shape log with the moss from SamYick. Now it is covered with dead moss. The rest of the plants in the tank grew like fire.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nicky, thats what i said....[] chan is cultivating some of those mosses inside

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When I first obtained the moss from a kind-soul from AQ, I tied it on the rain-bar.
    ----------------
    I wonder if I know that "kind-soul"

I have a picture of the Upward-Growing moss at:

http://www.killies.com/UGmoss01.JPG

The moss was tied to the driftwood on National Day. It's coming along nicely although the Christmas Moss Wall at the back of the tank hasn't start showing its fronds yet.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    O so Chan is growing that moss too. Good now we got more suppliers.

Loh, that's almost the same log I'm using to tie the moss, the tree-shape-log. Yours are growing very well, I must say.

Sent a PM to you.

Feedback Score

Then I bought a Y-shape log with the moss from SamYick. Now it is covered with dead moss. The rest of the plants in the tank grew like fire.[]
    I think this is very common, I don’t really understand Christmas moss! When I plant them the proper way, by tying them onto driftwood with good lights, fertilizer, cold water and .. .. it doesn’t seems to grow well. Most of the time it will turn brown.

Lately I use Christmas moss (given by a good friend) for raising my killie frys with no light (the only light the moss get is ceiling light) + water with high salt content and super dirty water, the moss seems to remain green forever!

But by the way, I do have good luck with the upward growing moss, I grew them in a 1 ft tank (without fertilizer just tap water) I will try to post a picture of the moss.

Regards,
    Sia Meng

I have good experience with Upward moss too. I've not found a suitable drift wood for them and simply squeeze them between some plants. Three weeks already and they're growing new leaves.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have good experience with Upward moss too.
    ----------------
    I wonder if we should continue to call this moss as Upward-Growing Moss. As it is, many hobbyists are already shortening the name to Upward Moss or UG Moss. Anyway, seems like the identity of the moss is still a mystery as someone asked for its identification on the APD but got no answers. It may surprise you to know the moss is native to Sweden.

Here's a link where you can see some pictures of the moss found by someone living in Stockholm.

http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/Mysterymoss.htm

Since the identity of the moss has not been discovered yet, I think we should call it "Erect Moss" [] []

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Can the upward growing moss survive in warmer water and high light?

Where can I buy it from? Pic looks gd, feel like trying. []

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks, you should know that I will surely second the name 'ERECT moss'.

Loh, like how you make popular the name Christmas Moss many years back, we now look upon you to popularise the name 'ERECT moss'.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ERECT moss will surely sen the lady planters goin for it big time and it would in turn flood the market wit ERECT moss and everybody will hv no problem getting it.
    ahahahahahahaha!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    *Ahem* Please be reminded to keep the discussion decent and not too suggestive/offensive. This forum is male-dominated, but it's public and we still have to behave ourselves.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.