Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: HELP! - How to lower Nitrate?

Feedback Score

HELP! - How to lower Nitrate?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    high levels of nitrate 1.6. readings in two nights. One the first, I changed 50% water and it reduced to 0.3. Today, the reading is back up to 1.6.

Yesterday i also cleaned the filter, siphoned some dirt off best as i can and added in extra sponge and eheim ehfisubstrate into the filter.

This afternoon went to seng bro to get some of those floating plant that is suppose to feed on nitrate and introduced them in the evening.

What else can i do? Do my cories stand a chance? I'm not going to rest easy tonight...

Been having so much trouble with them...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/23/2003 1:20:50 AM

high levels of nitrate 1.6. readings in two nights. One the first, I changed 50% water and it reduced to 0.3. Today, the reading is back up to 1.6.
    ----------------
    What is the unit of your measurement? mg/L(ppm)?
    1.6ppm(or mg/L)nitrate(NO3) is nothing. Nitrate up 100ppm can be tolerated by fishes. Are your refering to nitrite(NO2) instead?

If it is nitrite you are refering to, levels >1ppm is dangerous to fishes. It is probably your tank has not cycled. Is yours a new tank? If so, you should not add any fishes until the cycling is done. Read this article for more information on nitrogen cycle.

Keep up with the water changes to keep NO2 <1ppm. Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of table salt to prevent NO2 poisoning.
    ----------------
    Yesterday i also cleaned the filter, siphoned some dirt off best as i can and added in extra sponge and eheim ehfisubstrate into the filter.
    ----------------
    If your tank is not cycle, don't touch the filter unless it is absolutely clogged with deritus.
    ----------------
    This afternoon went to seng bro to get some of those floating plant that is suppose to feed on nitrate and introduced them in the evening.

What else can i do? Do my cories stand a chance? I'm not going to rest easy tonight...

Been having so much trouble with them...
    ----------------
    Floating plants do take in nitrates. But if it is nitrite, plants don't touch them. Only way is to wait out the cycling phase.

BC

Feedback Score
    Hi! Thank you for the advise. Its nitrite, The tank is relatively new, and the filter is new.

I've been changing about 50% water everyday to try and reduce the effect.

Now that I've already added in the extra sponge and ehfisubstrate into the filter do i leave it alone or take them out?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    There is a type of filter medium that extract ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from your water. Not recommended for planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Leave the filter alone. The idea is to let the beneficial nitrifying bacteria to establish themselves. The bacteria will help you convert the nitrite to harmless nitrate.

BC