Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woops, my Black Neon Tetras must have spawned...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Woops, my Black Neon Tetras must have spawned...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was just feeding some brine shrimp, when something tiny darted after them: Turns out my Black Neon Tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) must have spawned without me noticing, and this little guy survived all on his own.
    I was wondering, if anybody would have a rough estimate on how long ago the spawn would have occurred, judging by offspring size - the little guy is 1cm, tail and all. Completely free swimming and munching on a shrimp about his own size.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Re: Woops, my Black Neon Tetras must have spawned...

Managed to catch the squiggly little guy on camera:

DSC_1204_A.jpg

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice picture! Such surprises are always nice!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Thanks! Yes, it is a lot of fun to watch those perfect little mini fish. I found two more now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool, this is the first time I've seen a black tetra thank you for posting the pic

If you provide a mass of Java Moss or other fine leaved plants, don't have other more predatory fish and feed live brine shrimp daily you may expect finding more. What happens as you begin to have an assortment of small to adult Black Neon Tetras, the survival rates among the newest fry improves. The smaller fish blend into the group better. It isn't the most efficient method of breeding Black Neons or any other Tetra but colony breeding can be successful if you only want 4 dozen or so.
    I remember the first time I tried to breed them it was after I tried to spawn Glow Light Tetras but I didn't think they spawned so I tried a pair of Black Neons. Within a few weeks it was obvious both had spawned so I had fry from each. Since then I have raised many hundreds of Black Neons. They are a favorite of mine for planted tanks but they look best when you keep them in larger schools. So I have often bought a trio then bred them to get myself a large school very cheaply. Black Neons are a pretty good species for the beginner Tetra breeder to try.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

First time seeing a black tetra too. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gggold View Post
    First time seeing a black tetra too. Cheers
    Surely you meant Black neons as black Tetras are very different.
    I raise a few hundred every 5 years or so. mainly for when i want a mass display rather than buying them retail. The black neon is pretty easily bred and raised. You just need fairly soft and slightly acid water but not extremely so. A trio can easily produce 200 fry. They can even take newly hatched brine shrimp at first. Many other Tetras need infusoria at first.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thats cool. Thx again for the info

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China

well done. the littlefish is so lovely

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Congrat!!. nice pic!1

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

cool, this is very nice. my black neons already almost end-of-life. dying one by one of old age. with me for 2.5 years and got them when they are already almost adult but up to now cannot find a single fry from them. now my tank infested with guppies. congrats bro!

Black Neon Tetra can live to at least five years; that is my best over the years I have been breeding them.

I was surprised by my 84 year old mother. Her group of Hyphessobrycon colombianus have been spawning in a 30 gal tank with only some plastic plants but five fry some how made it to a size where they now school with the adults. It is always a pleasure when these things happen without any prior planning.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Black neon tetras are quite cheap. They go at about 50 pieces for between $6 to $8. IMO, the effort of purposely trying to spawn a pair would not be cost effective. Nonetheless, its really nice to see them spawn in a community with some fry surviving and making it to adulthood

Quote Originally Posted by sianxz View Post
    Black neon tetras are quite cheap. They go at about 50 pieces for between $6 to $8. IMO, the effort of purposely trying to spawn a pair would not be cost effective. Nonetheless, its really nice to see them spawn in a community with some fry surviving and making it to adulthood
    Actually, whenever I want a large school of any of the more common Tetras I often just start with a reverse trio and sometimes get hundreds from one spawn and in most cases they are large enough for a display in only 4 months. It isn't hard to breed many tetras and the cost of raising them is like 20% of their retail price.
    I made large displays this way of Black Phantoms, Black Neons and Ember Tetras(Hyphessobrycon amandae).
    Most of thest retail for US$3.00 each and there is no way I would spend US$150 for 50 pieces.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow !! They sure cost quite alot at your place ~ If only i can send some over to you, it would only cost a fraction of what you need to pay for the same amount of fishes ~

I ever thought of breeding them as i have never bred tetras before. It seems difficult to me. Do you think you can explain step by step on how to breed them ? I guess the hardest part would probably be to sex them. As male and female looks similar

I was thinking of setting up a 1 ft tank to breed them but dont know how or where to start from ~

Quote Originally Posted by sianxz View Post
    Wow !! They sure cost quite alot at your place ~ If only i can send some over to you, it would only cost a fraction of what you need to pay for the same amount of fishes ~

I ever thought of breeding them as i have never bred tetras before. It seems difficult to me. Do you think you can explain step by step on how to breed them ? I guess the hardest part would probably be to sex them. As male and female looks similar

I was thinking of setting up a 1 ft tank to breed them but dont know how or where to start from ~
    It is true that the easily bred Tetras are expensive n the USA compared to SE Asia where most of them are bred in farms for export which explains why they are cheaper for you.
    I do it for the fun every few years and not to sell.
    Breeding these Tetras is a well known procedure found in any good reference fish book. Basically one needs a small tank(I use a 12 liter tank) with the bottom covered with an egg mesh so the eggs don't get eaten and some floating and sunken acrylic yarn mops. Soft acid water.
    Separate the sexes for about a week and feed them live foods then introduce them to the breeding tank in the evening and they nearly always spawn at dawn lasting two or three hours. Remove the breeders immediately after they complete spawning. Most species hatch in about 36 hours and begin feeding five days later. Then feed the fry infusoria or vinegar worms a few day until they are able to take newly hatched brine shrimp. They grow fast after that and you have fish large enough to put in a display tank in about 4 months. Most Tetras are bred this way but there are many species which are much harder to breed like Cardinals, Rummy nose and Loreto tetras.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry.. But

1) What exactly is an egg mesh ? ( Would be good if you can direct me to link with pictures >_< )
    2) What is Acrylic Yarn Mops ??
    3) How to differentiate the genders ? Just look at fatter and slimmer pieces ??
    4) What is the reason for separating them for 1 week ? Can i just put 2 piece together from my community tank ?

Thanks for the advice in advance !!

1. Many methods may be used but the one I use is to cut a piece of "egg crate" fluorescent light diffuser to fit the entire bottom. Then I use super glue to attach a piece of nylon fly screen. The purpose is to let the eggs fall through to the bottom so they can't eat their eggs.
    2. Acrylic yarn is available at any fabric store. It is used as a substitute for fine leaved plants. This yarn is non-toxic, is easy to sterilize and provides the fish with places to lay their eggs. They are all egg scatterers. You just make your own. If you want them to float you use a cork. The Killiefish breeders have been using these for more than 50 years as do many other fish breeders. Wool yarn would decay.
    3. Sexing Tetras varies with the species so a good reference book like Hans Baensch's Aquarium Atlas Vol one describes all the ways to sex Tetras. As a rule, males are slightly smaller and skinnier. Females are larger and bulge because of their ovaries.
    4. Tetras often spawn frequently when they are kept together. One separates the sexes to allow the females to accumulate a lot of ripe eggs which helps make them produce much larger spawns than if you just grabbed a pair or reverse trio from a community tank. Females full of ripe eggs are more dependable producers of eggs when they are set up to spawn. In the case of the males it makes them ready to spawn at their first opportunity when they have been deprived of that opportunity for about a week. It is a very old fish breeding tactic.

These are all steps breeders take to increase the yields of a spawning set ups in a more predictable manner. Commercial breeders use basically the same set ups although they often use larger set ups and many of them so they can produce tens of thousands of fry at a time. It is easier to feed the the fish when all the fry are the same age and state of development.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Apistomaster, Do you think it is possible for you to take a picture of your set up ? Or if its too troublesome, just the "egg crate" will do ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast