51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dylan Tham's Journal -120cm x39 x45 10mm Optiwhite

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got a question, why is there a need to change water everyday? regarding the brownish black algae, I am using black quartz too and it is caused by dead plants but they are readily eaten up by my SAE and endlers.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanoob View Post
    I got a question, why is there a need to change water everyday? regarding the brownish black algae, I am using black quartz too and it is caused by dead plants but they are readily eaten up by my SAE and endlers.
    I was following blindly one of the fellow forumer's method of changing water everyday. One thing I noted is that My substrate is covered by a layer of the Aqua Basic Plus fertilizer on the surface. This could be probably caused by a mix up during filling up of water in the initial stage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

a.jpg
    First update of my planted tank... 16 days since first planted.. Water still a little dirty with small little white particles floating around. Whats that? Theres also this whitish flim like thingy floating around. Anybody can advise?

b.jpg
    Close up view on the Glosso and Algae eater. Anybody can tell me the correct name for this fish?

Specs as follows: -
    WC 30% weekly
    CO2 @ 3bps
    54W x4 T5HO @ 7 Hrs daily
    Supplements: Excel on alternate day, ADA Brighty K on alternate days

Please feel free to C&C on my planted tank. Need more opinions to make my first ever tank better. Sorry if my post sound very noobish but I never had any experience owning a tank.

Hi,
    I think the fish is known as chinese algae eater (Golden)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I am experiencing good growth rate ever since i increased my CO2 slightly and added a noisy fan to chill the tank. However, I am experiencing a slight NO2 spike and I believe it is due to plant rot. Can someone advise how I should deal with this?

I'm also considering whether it will be a good idea to introduce BW bacter every WC as I have introduced faunas in the 1st week since planting. I'm afraid the BB has not develope well enough to cope with the excess NO2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by DYLAN View Post
    Hi all, I am experiencing good growth rate ever since i increased my CO2 slightly and added a noisy fan to chill the tank. However, I am experiencing a slight NO2 spike and I believe it is due to plant rot. Can someone advise how I should deal with this?
    I'm also considering whether it will be a good idea to introduce BW bacter every WC as I have introduced faunas in the 1st week since planting. I'm afraid the BB has not develope well enough to cope with the excess NO2.
    Hi Dylan, for your first ever tank, I think you are doing excellent.
    The nitrite spike plus the brown diatom seems to indicate that your tank is still cycling - plant rot is one possible cause, but much more likely, it's the nutrients leeching from the soil. I do not think you need to do anything additional and just let the biological bacteria build up. By the way, are you using water conditioner together with your water changes - I say this because the chloramine in our local water sources may prolong/distrupt the build-up of the BB, especially since you are changing on a daily basis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Alvin, thanks for your comments and advise. I have change to a twice weekly WC of about 30-40% and added Seachem Prime (1/2 cap) to neutralize chlorine. Specs and maintenance changed as follows: -

WC: 2x weekly 30-40%, 1/2 cap Seachem Prime (may increase to 3x if NO2 on the high)
    Maintenance: Daily pick/pluck dead plants including skimming water surface for any leaves, flies/insect (recent cold weather result in lots of insects attracted to the lighting for warmth and trapped on water surface)
    Additives: BrightyK 1 pump, Wondergrow Micro on alternate days
    Photo period: 7am-12pm, 7pm-12am
    CO2: On 0.5Hr before photo period @ approx. 5bps
    Daily water test 2x am/pm (Can advise if i should get individual test kit as I'm not quite sure if my JBL 5in1 test kit is accurate)
    Faunas: 5x Oto, 5x Chinese golden algae eater

As i'm having an ammonia spike, not sure if i should remove all 5x chinese algae eater? Secondly, I will be away from 5-11Feb, can someone advise me on how to maintain water quality/prevent algae bloom or dead plants while i'm away? I dont hopt to have a ruined tank after I return from overseas. Further to this, any C&C will be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dylan, if I were in the same situation (week long absence),
    I would do a water change, dose more macros just before I leave for the trip and also cut down the photo period and CO2 by half (or more).
    Reducing the lighting alone would reduce the uptake of nutrients and reduce the chances of algae overrun.

As for your ammonia/nitrite spike, it may peak while you are away and that's when the fishes are most vulnerable. If you have a mature tank, I see no harm in re-housing them temporarily until you are back, however, if you do not, maybe it would help to have some activated carbon in your tank. It will absorb your fertilizers in the water column, but as your flora density is considered low, it may not be a big issue if the fertilizer pool is lower. The lowered photo period also helps lower the nutrient requirement.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Happy Chinese New Year to all friends and bros in AQ! Finally found some time to do a water change before I leave for week long business trip tomorrow.

Photo updates as of today (20th Day)

*Glosso finally rooted and growing
    P1020011.jpg

*Sending out runners as well
    P1020012.jpg

*Left side view of the tank
    P1020014.jpg

*Right side view
    P1020016.jpg

*Full view
    P1020022.jpg

Apparently NO2 levels have dropped while NO3 has increased slightly. But I am still having problems with inconsistend KH levels which in the end result in unstable PH.

Followed as per bro Alvin's advice, I have also shorten the photoperiod to 4 Hrs (1800-2200Hrs) and CO2 to 2Bps. I will be dosing 2ml of Wondergrow Micro tomorrow morning before I leave. Does anybody else have any comments or advice for this setup while I'm away for 1 week?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

you need more stem plants to create dense bush behind your DW.
    PROX
    http://aquaqube.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow bro for first tank you are very brave for doing 4 feet! *respect* anyway your tank seems to be doing well, guess you just need to plant more plants like bro PROX mentioned. if not may seem a little sparse.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by reveru View Post
    wow bro for first tank you are very brave for doing 4 feet! *respect* anyway your tank seems to be doing well, guess you just need to plant more plants like bro PROX mentioned. if not may seem a little sparse.
    Noted from many previous forum replies and external references that the smaller the tank, the smaller room for errors. Furthermore I had wanted a tank big enough for my home office so went ahead and get a 4 feet. I'm still not satisfied with the outcome having seen so many beautiful planted tanks in AQ. Still looking for more ideas and advice on how to make it better.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

For smaller tank, the end result is instant, tank crash faster than big tank, big tank has more allowance than small tank, due to the volume of water it has a wider range of allowance before it gives you the result.

Quote Originally Posted by DYLAN View Post
    Noted from many previous forum replies and external references that the smaller the tank, the smaller room for errors. Furthermore I had wanted a tank big enough for my home office so went ahead and get a 4 feet. I'm still not satisfied with the outcome having seen so many beautiful planted tanks in AQ. Still looking for more ideas and advice on how to make it better.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

After a week long overseas trip, nothing drastic happened to my tank. My stem plants grew pretty quickly some reaching near the bream of water. However, the glosso seem to be growing upwards instead of carpeting, probably due to the reduced photo period. As such, I did a 60% WC, dosed both WonderGrow macro and micro as well as restart the daily BrightyK regime.

Now I am having a dilemma as to whether I should change the substrate as the growth is not up to my expectation or is it because the tank is still considerably new? Just bought BW growth, bacter crystal and zero ammo. Looking forward to adding it soon during the next WC.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

actually by "brave" i meant taking on the scale of a 4 feet and its associated maintenance tasks for a first timer! it certainly does give more allowance but for high-tech tanks that size, it is rather cost-prohibitive for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by reveru View Post
    actually by "brave" i meant taking on the scale of a 4 feet and its associated maintenance tasks for a first timer! it certainly does give more allowance but for high-tech tanks that size, it is rather cost-prohibitive for me.
    The killer is actually the substrate, and that was why I went with gravel and base fertilizer. I kind of regretted it now, and am considering if I should change to ADA substrate base.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, its been awhile since i last updated the progress of my planted tank. Have recently re scaped the tank and removed both bogwood from it. I have also bought a HL 300a chiller on impulse. Should have gotten a 1/2hp one instead. But nonetheless, I am happy with the performance just that it takes a little longer to chill the tank at 25C.

Current chiller/canister setup is as follows: - intake-filter-chiller-output. Was wondering if i should add an external pump to it as i felt the flowrate has reduced a little bit. Would prefer an Eheim pump. Can someone advise me on the model i should go for?

With the pump, the setup will be as follows: - intake-filter-pump-chiller-output. Is this correct?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think you should separate the pump as combining it will gives a very high total flow and the current at the outflow will be very much stronger.
    So it will become pump in tank -> chiller -> tank. If you adding a pump in-line you will need to get those external pump and usually these comes in quite high flow rate.
    Just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12