Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fish Grasping for Air

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi I just recently got a CO2 system and running on a eden501. When the system is on, i will disconnect the rainbar so that i can optimize CO2 in the tank. (with the lack of surface aeration? However, i find that my fishes are pale and on the surface gasping for air... Is it because my CO2 is too saturated in my tank?

Tank size- 45x25x25cm with 11W PL lighting...
    Bps: 1

Do advice!!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fish Grasping for Air

Yes u are definitely facing a highly saturated CO2 water...i faced it a few times before and in fact my cardinals jumped out of the water. mass sucide!! aeration to the water surface will cause CO2 to escape quickly from the aquarium water and is something u must do..

Try play with ur co2 supply to make sure it is ample enough for plants but not too much to ur fauna r u using a solenoid or a needle valve regulator?? if not u might wanna consider getting 1 such as from "COlor" @ west coast, its not too ex just went few days back

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi! Yes I'm using a solenoid... I guess my water was too saturated. But once i connect my rain bar and aerate the water things went back to normal... Just that it will be counter productive to have aeration and co2 injection at the same time since the main objective is increase CO2 supply for the plants this is so agonizing!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hahah this is something all of us here facing..but hobby can be seen as a wastage no matter what isnt it?? hahah...try keeping ur CO2 level @ 30ppm all time, i suppose it is calculated to be in this recommended range so that there is an equilibrium between wastage and actual use of the CO2, i dont know just what i believe yeah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh... You're using a drop checker to estimate or a CO2 test kit? Yeah its hard to judge the level especially when i'm completely new to the system haha
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm you may want to get a test kit to measure your CO2 concentration in the aquarium to be safe.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes Indeed. Will see to it
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

What C02 kit is best, VS drop checker? Never used either. But need to start.