Country
    Singapore

Unhappy My Pink Pikachu Is Preggers!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Never thought I'd post an entry here depsite reading this forum for the past few months. I need advice!

I bought this pink fish which the LFS caleld Pikachu a few months back and recently noticed a behavioural change in the couple. I suspected that the female is preggers and true enough, she laid her eggs on the tank pebbles yesterday. I'm over the moon as this is my very first experience with my fishes breeding.

Now, I have been trying to gather info on this fishes' breeding patterns so that I can ensure the eggs hatch and become tiny pikachus.

What I need to know now is:

1. Are these eggs laid already fertilised or do I need to let the male Pikachu fertilise them.
    2. The female has since turned very aggressive towards her partner and doesn't allow him near the eggs. I kept the male in the hatchery for fear that they will hurt each other. Is this the right thing to do? Or should I just let them be together.
    3. Any other advice will be deeply appreciated. I tried to find out exactly what fishes they are. I THINK they are known as Pink Convicts, a type of chiclid. Attached is a photo. Hope you guys can help me figure this out.

Help me pls!!! Thanks!!!!

Pikachu Mummy with her eggs (the yellow bits on the white pebbles)

Pika Mummy.jpg

The "Happy" couple:

IMG_0660.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My Pink Pikachu Is Preggers!

From what i know, they are not exactly pink convicts but rather,dyed convicts.
    In otherwords,dyed(coloured) fishes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

cichlids will automatically raise their young to a small size if not disturbed by human actions.. and its pregnant not preggers
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi icefire,

Yeah. what I have read from various sites is that cichlids are naturally very good parents. I HOPE i have identified them correctly though. In any side, preggers is kinda a slang people commonly use for being pregnant. Thought most of you would have already known. I guessed wrong!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

YAY!!!!! The eggs hatched today and the fry are sooooo cute!!!! I'll upload videos soon!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Its strange, I would have thought a guy fish is needed. Cichlid has no internal fertilisation righ?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I counted 12 but i think there could be more. See those vibrating things? The fry!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...22913&comments

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, I did release the male fish back into the tank. The couple has since been guarding the eggs, now fry. They are really quite a delight to watch. Busy moving the substrate to create a pit for their young to hide and grow. The male is pretty lazy though, not really helping. And you can see the female upset and badgering him to help. Haha...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do get ready to feed the fries when they are freeswimming(they would have absorbed their egg yolk sac)though!
    Fun experience when feeding them hurhur. Can feed them with baby brineshrimp and switch to crushed flake/pellet food.
    Tubifex is not recommended.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by PupiPupi View Post
    Hi icefire,

Yeah. what I have read from various sites is that cichlids are naturally very good parents. I HOPE i have identified them correctly though. In any side, preggers is kinda a slang people commonly use for being pregnant. Thought most of you would have already known. I guessed wrong!
    i see thanks for teaching me the slang.. hehe! by the way.. do you know how to sex them? thanks!
    Last edited by icefire; 24th Jan 2011 at 12:53. Reason: adding in more information

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrado View Post
    Do get ready to feed the fries when they are freeswimming(they would have absorbed their egg yolk sac)though!
    Fun experience when feeding them hurhur. Can feed them with baby brineshrimp and switch to crushed flake/pellet food.
    Tubifex is not recommended.
    Thanks Lucrado. Guess I had better start shopping for it. I hope they free swim soon! Currently they are fed by their parents. I see the parents chewing up the pellets i feed then spitting it to the nesting area. It's really cool!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by icefire View Post
    i see thanks for teaching me the slang.. hehe! by the way.. do you know how to sex them? thanks!
    Erm, what do you mean by "sex them"? Identify their gender?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by PupiPupi View Post
    Erm, what do you mean by "sex them"? Identify their gender?
    yes, identify their gender hahas!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by icefire View Post
    yes, identify their gender hahas!
    Oh, I'm not sure if it's true but I read from a few places that when these fishes reach maturity, the females will have an orangy patch on her belly. It seems true becuase I did observe it in my fishes. I have enclosed a video clip of them before the eggs were laid. You can see that the female clearly has an orange patch on her belly and the male one is consistently pink.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think my fries didn't survive. I couldn't find any signs of them when I got home yesterday. Sigh.... This is depressing.