Images
    Country
    Singapore

Black Sand for Hair Grass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have anyone tried growing hair grass using sand? Especially black sand?
    I have a low-light semi low-tech tank that is bare bottom which I like to grow some short foreground plant.

If using soil, i will need to remove everything and drain the tank but if sand is usable. Then it will be much easier. I can empty half the water and put the sand in by lowering it down in a cup.

I am already dosing Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel for other plants. Any suggestion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Black Sand for Hair Grass

Slow growing for me, had more chance growing in soil. I think the type of sand has no issues, so long they are in the 1mm diameter; saying that I have grown them in lapis and soil only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I did an experiment using dry start in a small container, added liquid fert and after 1 week some of it got moldy. Then I filled it up with more water and exposing only half the grass and covered the contain with cling film. After another 2 weeks, some of it seems to be dead and it is not rooting at all. Maybe it does not have enough light as I left it by the window using natural sunlight only. Gave up and wrap it back up in the rock wool and dump in into my main tank under direct light. Hope it will grow back again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I never had luck growing hair grass emmersed. From what I see, they normally grow them emmersed like a normal plant. For submersed, rich soil, strong lighting is important, it seems anything short of that means it has a low chance of survival.
    Last edited by Jungle-mania; 18th Feb 2011 at 23:39. Reason: add on

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I thought they are like wild grass and can grow fast and spread in any condition. I am wrong...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i have hair grass in my tank and it does not appear to send out runners, only growing taller. I've tried trimming the roots and trimming the grass itself but nothing so far.

i does some flourish excel but no co2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You need to leave it alone for a long time and space them apart well in rich soil and strong lighting and some patience. Most of the hairgrass have to turn into submersed before they even spread.