Country
    Singapore

Help - my KH has hit a new high of 8+

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,
    Think I have a unique problem - you see I have read that many fellow bros need to add baking soda to raise KH - mine is always high - at 6 and then recently at 8+ this morning...Am wondering what the cause might be??? Have lost a lot of my yamato shrimps this morning - found the KH to be at 8+ while PH is at 7...pls advise what I should do - bio load is still small and tank was cycled for about 3weeks with cheap fishes before i added my tetras

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yamatoes are very sensitive to water condition. 3-week old tank isn't good for yamatoes. Wait till your tank is more mature.

Stuff like coral chips and limestones contribute to KH. If you do not want high KH for some particular reason, remove any of those from your tank or filter. Substrate like Seachem Onyx will have some buffering effects too, but not much.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How big is your tank? mi 2 ft tank also have kH of 3 to 4. But the water from the tap is only ard 2, went to ask some lfs owners, they say maybe deal to the sand that I use!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How big is your tank? mi 2 ft tank also have kH of 3 to 4. But the water from the tap is only ard 2, went to ask some lfs owners, they say maybe deal to the sand that I use!

Feedback Score
    Hi, maybe you want to increase your CO2 bubble count to bring down the KH...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Increasing CO2 will NOT bring down KH! It will bring down pH though.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Furthermore, by doing so, your fishes and prawns may die of CO2 poisoning. Due to such high KH and reducing your PH further more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,
    i am beginning to suspect that the yamatos dying off may not be due to KH alone but due to the fertiliser... I use tetra florapride about 1 capful per water change - that may be too much and may raise KH or add in some iron - have read that yamatoes are very sensitive to metals...this could be a reason?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am usually that liquid fertilizer also. But instead dosing once a week, I normally dose daily. Ard 2ml per day!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can try what CT suggested, dosing a bit everyday is better than dosing a big amount once a week.

This can reduce the metal that result in the death of your yamato.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You have fishes in there with the shrimps? Only the shrimps are dying? Possible causes of shrimp deaths are due to poor acclimatization, presence of ammonia or nitrite that is a tad too high for them and last is low O2. Check which is the likely cause...the liquid fert is not the problem.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My kH is at a constant high of about 12 due to the presence of coral chips in my substrate. My shrimps are doing fine so I don't think your kH is causing your shrimps' death.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/4/2003 9:02:03 AM

You have fishes in there with the shrimps? Only the shrimps are dying? Possible causes of shrimp deaths are due to poor acclimatization, presence of ammonia or nitrite that is a tad too high for them and last is low O2. Check which is the likely cause...the liquid fert is not the problem.
    ----------------
    bro,
    you may wanna watch your tank temp too, shrimps can't really tolerate warm temp.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my max temp at 28 as i am using 4 DC fans - normally 26/27 degrees