Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to differentiate a female tetra from a male tetra ?

Feedback Score

How to differentiate a female tetra from a male tetra ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As above .... interested in breeding them too .
    In addition, why is it that the price for cardinal tetra is much higher than that of the neon tetra ??
    Is $2.50 for a high grade cardinal expensive ?

my first thread .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The male tetra produces spermatozoa, whereas the female produces ova. It may be thereotically possible to visually differentiate the genders, from the latter's gravidity, but the practice of gluttony imposed by like-minded caretakers could render equally elephantine proportions to both members. Some authorities with an anal fixaion have reported to observing a marked distintion in the said fin of the two genders. You are advised to search the worldwide web (i.e., to google) for more detailed data on inducing these characins to propagate (however, typing "anal" in the search parameter is not recommended).

Paracheirodon axelrodi commands a premium from the now debased P. innesi, as the latter is, like many other forms of merchandise, mass-produced in the sub-tropical southern provinces of China. The quality thereof may be said to be questionable as well, due to the dearth of fresh genetic material in the captive breeding pool. This is what results when brothers and sisters (and cousins and 13th aunts) have no choice but to "do" each other.

P. axelrodi, on the other hand, is a noble savage, scoured from the pristine paradise of the Rio Negro in seasons of dryness. Airfare from Brazil is by no means a song, even for miniscule Amazonians. Moreover, interim captive periods impose a high casualty rate upon the lil' darls, so their minders must surely seek greater compensation from us who love the darls to their death.

I have little idea what a high grade cardinal is. You may be thinking of a fish larger than average, fatter than average, or with a fatty protuberance on its forehead. Common sense does tell me that a more mature and robust creature would be more valued than a scrawny, underfed weeny.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/4/2003 8:28:13 PM
    inducing these characins to propagate

----------------
    May I respectfully propose to replace "propagate" with "procreate" as some members may innocently lop off a fin or two from the lil darls, especially those more used to handling roses than axelrodis.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    neons are from HK.
    i have seen platinum in live, transparent and albino forms from pics. original still looks the best.

in the same school of cardinals, chose bigger and fat ones would have higher per centage getting female. Some tetras are easy to tell sex, but both neon and cardinal belong to more difficult group. Detailed observation would help alot too.

personally looking for short line cardinals.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/4/2003 11:22:20 PM

personally looking for short line cardinals.

----------------
    what's that?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    it's a var of cardinal that clearly got shorter blue line type.