Thread: Fishless Cycling

Feedback Score

Fishless Cycling

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi!

Am a newbie setting up a first tank and have a question on the above process. Been reading a few articles on it and it seems the most humane way to get a tank to build up a supply of the necessary bacteria.

My question is where can I get pure ammonia in Singapore? Appreciate any directions provided. Thanks!

Weiming

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/5/2003 12:46:22 AM

Hi!

Am a newbie setting up a first tank and have a question on the above process. Been reading a few articles on it and it seems the most humane way to get a tank to build up a supply of the necessary bacteria.

My question is where can I get pure ammonia in Singapore? Appreciate any directions provided. Thanks!

Weiming

----------------
    Talking about humane way, nothing like personal touch.... just simply pee into it.....

Joking... keke... but it should works...

Phoon Huat (baking accessories shop) sells some ammonia dunno what powder, some hobbist tried and it seems working fine. For address of various Phoon Huat, try http://www.phoonhuat.com/
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alternatively , you can add some fish food. The fish food will rot and create ammonia.

If you have access to other matured tank, you can get some of the mulm from that tank and add it to your tank.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The bacteria is suppose to be growing all over the surfaces in a mature tank, even on driftwood and plant leaves. So plants from an LFS should work too.

As long as you're not dumping a lot of fish in at one time, there isn't anything inhumane about it. A few small fishes will introduce a small amount of ammonia. That'll kick off a teeny weeny colony. With enough ammonia, the bacteria can double in numbers in 24hrs, I was told. So just add the fishes slowly.... a few each week. The build up will be too slow to be a worry to the fishes. But do let the tank sit without fishes for a week or two first.

If you have plants, they will take care of the initial ammonia too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for the help!

I do have plants and wood in the tank with gravel from an established tank (from the LFS) so will just let the tank settle for the next 2 weeks. In the mean time, I will also put in some fish food every 2 days.

BTW, do I have to do a water change during the cycling period or do I just leave the tank as it is during this 2 weeks?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    you might be interested in this..

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthre...;threadid=2713

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/6/2003 12:31:15 AM

Thanks all for the help!

I do have plants and wood in the tank with gravel from an established tank (from the LFS) so will just let the tank settle for the next 2 weeks. In the mean time, I will also put in some fish food every 2 days.

BTW, do I have to do a water change during the cycling period or do I just leave the tank as it is during this 2 weeks?

Thanks!
    ----------------
    You can do water change. Just do not disturb the substrate and the filter. If you do not a any fishes now, you can wait till it is ready for adding fishes and you do a good amount fo water change.

Do a NO2 test to ensure that your tank is safe enough for adding fish. NO2 should read zero for a completely cycled tank.

Remember not to add too many fishes at one go.

BC