Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matured Glosso - Is this how they look like?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Matured Glosso - Is this how they look like?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone...

Noobie question here []

I read from somewhere that glosso will turn 'leggy' if the lightings provided isn't sufficient and I supposed happened to me

Anyway, I noticed changes after I had increased the lightings recently. They are lush-er.....and they start to grow 'sideways' with the roots 'stretching' to reach the gravel.

Question is: Is the pic below the actual 'size' of MATURED glosso? Cos the ones that I saw were much smaller when they were still in pots sold in LFS?

Shed some lights please.....thanx.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Glosso can grow flat even with just 2w/gal.

The way you plant has a big part to play.

Initially glosso will tend to grow upwards. Push each of these upward growing stems down into the gravel such that the stems are horizontal. After some time they will start growing horizontally.

Do not plant to densely in the beginning. Allow some space for them to creep.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanx for the info bclee.

You're right....I did not space them. Instead, I placed them near to each other.

I guess I have to uproot and re-plant them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wah lau!! newbie already look after glosso. dun even know how glosso look like. terrible. so many newbie. so many posting stupid questions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Pardon me,

But don't 'shoot' a newbie...over such trival matters...

Be glad that he wanna learn...[]
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/8/2003 1:37:01 PM

wah lau!! newbie already look after glosso. dun even know how glosso look like. terrible. so many newbie. so many posting stupid questions.
    ----------------
    If you do not have anything to contribute, please kindly shut up.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No questions are stupid. I also don't see how 'clever' your reply to the question is and how 'old' you are.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anarchy, relax lah bro. All the hobbyist do not come into to this forum at the same time. So they learned at a different rate. Some of them are alone in this hobby with no friend to turn to or ask question or to compare notes. They will be more 'noobs' coming in at a later time so we really can't avoid these so called stupid question.

In the beginning when AQ started, there was the 'movement' to inform the public that there is a local forum in the internet for them to learn about fishkeeping, planted tank, marine and so on. Small banner with the forum name was given to shops and fish farm like Nature Aquarium and Capricorn( Ah Pek plant farm ) so that anyone interested to learn more about this aqua hobby could surf in the internet to find out more. Since then, some of us has improved tremendously and more and more of those exotic fish species that we had dreamt of keeping made to the shores of our little island. Plecos, Apistoes, Catfish and many more of the exotic species became available had it not been made aware by some hard core die hard hobbyist.

By making our forum open to the public, we can't help but to be exposed to this type of query. While more and more people are starting to get into this hobby, we can't turned them away by saying that they are asking stupid question, right? We don't want to have someone like the chap who appear on the local show Fish n Tails where he had made a few boo-boo regarding fish keeping right? So the best way is to point them to the right direction. Like the saying 'If u give a man a fish, he would have a meal for the day but if you teach a man how to fish, he would feed himself.......' or something close to that.

It's a double edge sword. You want the public to be educated on the upkeep and maintenance of this hobby but you can't choose who that might want to be a member of this forum.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    anarchy.....you may feel that you're a 'guru' in this hobby. But what's the use of not sharing. It's immature and an uncalled for remark from you actually.

Anyway, I'm certain there are others who are willing to share their knowledge. I'm here to learn........that's why I asked my question here.

Well, I suppose there's always the BEGINNING of EVERYTHING for EVERYONE in ANYTHING. Unless you beg to differ.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am more interested to know: what is that "hat" thing near your driftwood?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    If you cannot contribute please don't say anything. The forum here is to help one another to learn not insulting "terrible so many newbie so many posting stupid questions". Hope someone inform the moderator to give such user a warning!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi hwchoy....

Well, it's actually the 'lid' of a mini pot. Here's the other half....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Anarchy,

Remember that we all were newbies in planted tank in some point of time. As newbies, we may have queries about our tanks, etc or even sometimes looking for plants like echinodoruses...Come on..live and let live...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    har! what are you using it for? breeding?

I notice you have lots of neon, in case you don't know that cardinals looks more colourful (more red) and also more hardy although cost a bit more. Neons are bred on farms and like all mass bred animals they suffer from inbreeding. cardinals are caught in the wild from the Amazon.

You may also wish to look around at some of the nice fishes from our own South-east Asian region. Some are exotic are sensitive but many are very very hardy.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Anarchy has registered the general sentiments felt over the issue. Let's not go on, okay? : )

To err is human, to forgive is divine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggest you just trim those that grew too high....and maybe replant the cuts into the soil. Cutting the stem will encourage them to grow horizontally.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ya Geoffrey - Don't worry man. I'm fine....I wouldn't be disheartened by that

hwchoy - Thanx for the info on cardinals. I have to do more reading lah...that's for sure. And that lil' pot isn't for breeding. I just put it in...I felt that it could be a hiding place for some of the timid ones. Thanx again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I find the pot within a nice planted tank too outlandish. Consider removing it. It reminds me of Sentosa's Underwater World, scaping the main tank seen from the travellator with Roman ruins. I personally feel the curator ought to be shoot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/8/2003 3:12:45 PM

I find the pot within a nice planted tank too outlandish. Consider removing it. It reminds me of Sentosa's Underwater World, scaping the main tank seen from the travellator with Roman ruins. I personally feel the curator ought to be shoot.
    ----------------
    or fed to the sharks?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/8/2003 3:10:17 PM

hwchoy - Thanx for the info on cardinals. I have to do more reading lah...that's for sure.
    ----------------
    have a look here at some nice and peaceful south-east asian fishes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast