Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lotus - Can trim?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, One of my lotus leaf is growing too tall for my tank, 1ft plus already. Can I trim it and hope that more new leaf will grow? Does lotus bear new leaf?

My just planted red lotus got a new leaf coming out, thus wonder if old lotus plant will also do so.

Advice please.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can.
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean your "old" lotus plant hasn't been producing leaves? sounds more like dead to me [:0] they usually produce 1 leaf a week.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy, I think you are right. The tallest leaf just broke off just now from the base and I see some white stuff coating on the stem.

Think is plant is dying, but the other 2 leaf are still forming bubbles below the leaves, hope they can survive.

I bought this mature lotus from one of the forumer here, when I get it, it seems to be cut at the root base. maybe cut a few so can sell more???

anyway, my baby lotus seems to be doing well, leaves are shoot out, hope to have some plantet to share with the bros here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    rem to share with me hor!hehe...[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no prob! my tank so small, got limited space for plants

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/8/2003 7:32:23 PM

Think is plant is dying, but the other 2 leaf are still forming bubbles below the leaves, hope they can survive.

I bought this mature lotus from one of the forumer here, when I get it, it seems to be cut at the root base. maybe cut a few so can sell more???

----------------
    Daz,

I have a Nymphaea stellata to give away. The leaves are a bit damaged now but the huge tuber should have enough reserves to produce new leaves soon after planting. Drop me a PM if you are interested. Collection only at Serangoon Central though (after all, it's free).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Theodore! But I cannot take it as my tank is currently filled up. cannot find any more space to plant. frankly I am damn tempted to see if it will bloom blue flower.. but really no more space left in my small tank.

Thanks for the offer!!! Hope you can find a nice home for your lotus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi.. erm.. i am interested in the plant.. not sure isit still available?? serangoon central can..
    feeling fishy...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/8/2003 9:55:59 PM

Thanks Theodore! But I cannot take it as my tank is currently filled up. cannot find any more space to plant. frankly I am damn tempted to see if it will bloom blue flower.. but really no more space left in my small tank.

Thanks for the offer!!! Hope you can find a nice home for your lotus.
    ----------------
    DAZ, getting plants to flower is not as simple as just having good fertilisation regime although most of the time it should work. If you have an overcrowded tank where the plant you intend to have to flower, it will not. Most plants need an external stimuli to trigger flowering. Stimulus ranges from duration of photoperiod, presence or absence of water, present of certain nutrients etc...to trigger certain hormones relating to flowering. Some plants when shaded will just remain dormant until they have a certain period of light. For more information, you may want to read this book "Life Processes of Plants - Galston". A book I think many can manage without fretting over technicalities.