Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Photography tips and tricks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just thought that this is a good topic to start for people to share.

Here is mine.

When taking pictures, make sure you have lots of lights, whether flash or bright lights.

The brighter your lights, the smaller you need to set your apperture. This means that you have more depth of field (more things in focus) This helps to keep most of your tank in focus.

Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for me, I usually take 2-3 shots of the same subject incase of handshaking blur

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Another tip.

The slower the shutter, the longer the CCD will be exposed to light.
    This means that the shot will be blurred if there is movement (whether handshake or subject move)

Eg. 1/25 shutter speed is slower than 1/125. Thus, if you try to capture fast darting fish with 1.25 shutter speed, the fish will be streaking past in a blur (unless that is the effect you want). However, if taking fast fish with 1/125 shutter speed, should see the fish clearly. Downside is the faster the apperture, the more light you need to get a good exposure.

Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When I use flash, there is always reflection of the tank glass. How do I overcome this? I am using a Canon A40 Camera. Thank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    while what I am going to say is not the best cure, but it seems to help somewhat so GIVEN THE CONSTRAINT of a built-in flash: try this…

Do not point your camera directly into the tank, i.e. the axis of the camera lens should be at an angle >45° from perpendicular to the glass, this way there is very little light reflecting back towards the camera.

I also found by trial and error, that glass reflection from flash seem to go away quite dramatically if you set your flash setting to "Second Curtain Sync". I know this can be done on a Canon G5 so your may have the same feature. Best to RTFM (read the fine manual)
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I always use a tripod or other stable items such as table to support and prevent the handshaking/camera movement.

For normal compact digital camera with build-in flash, try turn off the flash and set the aperture to f2.8. This setting must use tripod or other supports. This may not give you the sharpest image (especially fish) but it would be better than turning on the build-in flash.